This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Eating In New Orleans

mbrookes

mbrookes Community Regular

I just got back from New Orleans where I ate like a king...safely! Muriel's and American Sector Cafe (John Besh's place at WWII Museum) both have gluten free menus. K-Paul's, Maximo's and Irene's have servers that understand and can reccommend safe foods. My advice is to go to New Orleans and have a wonderful time.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

That's great to hear. I spent some time eating in New Orleans several years ago, before I got sick. The food was the very best I ever had. I would imagine that even gluten-free food in New Orleans would be wonderful. Just thinking about it is making me hungry!

Alwayssomething Contributor

Thanks for posting this, we are headed there in December. I am going to print and keep this for when we go.

• 8 months later...
june27 Apprentice

i am headed to NO this coming weekend for a funeral.  now that i have my flights and hotel booked, i thought i should start thinking about what i might eat while i am there.  my first stop in research was here...

this is going to be a big family event, so i suspect i might have a hard time getting people to go to places that are convenient to me (there will be a lot of cousins that my immediate family has not seen in years).  so, my question for those that have been there - did you find that you needed to research your options in advance, or did you find that most places are reasonably educated and that you can find someplace safe to eat without having to look too hard?  my fallback plan is to eat at the hotel with my mom (she is older and doesn't get around as well, and i suspect that a hotel in NO would be well versed in food allergies)  

i have only been gluten-free for a little over a year, and have not traveled too much in that time.  any trips that i did take, i researched the heck out of before going.  we will be staying near the french quarter...  i don't want to stress myself out too much, but also want to make sure i have enough to eat.  i plan to bring some bars, and something to eat for breakfast (i am also avoiding dairy, so i suspect that will make it tough to find a safe breakfast).  

any information would be greatly appreciated!!  it is going to be a very emotional weekend, and i am thinking that getting a handle on food beforehand would be smart...

mbrookes Community Regular

june 27, all the places I mentioned, except the one at the museum, are in the Quarter. The more upscale restaurants will probably be able to feed you safely. Some of the older down scale places (ex. Mother's) may be a little risky . Remember, these people live on the tourist trade. They do not want bad publicity, even word-of-mouth. Most places will bend over backwards to satisfy a customer. 

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

There is a whole foods in NOLA. I've even heard of some bakeries that do gluten-free King Cakes...so all is not lost.

I know Emeril's and CP will do gluten-free well.

I haven't been to a hotel ANYWHERE (that has a kitchen, not buffet breakfast) that can't do something gluten-free. I've been pleasantly surprised.

Sorry you're going to NOLA under those circumstances.

june27 Apprentice

Thanks pricklypear...

I ended up bringing a bunch of food that i knew i could eat (tuna pouches, PB, nuts mixes, KIND bars) and figured i would hope for the best.  i knew that i would be with a large group of cousins, and didn't want to be the 'whiner'. so, i went out and figured i would eat what i could, and know that i had stuff in my room if i needed it.

well, i had no issues at all!

we arrived in the afternoon, and i ate some tuna/nuts.  then we went out for a late dinner at the Renaissance hotel.  i asked the hostess if they had a gluten-free menu.  they did not, but the chef was happy to make me something (both gluten and dairy free).  he made me a delicious plate of zucchini, summer squash, fingerling potatoes, and onion - it was fantastic!.  then next morning i was able to grab some hard boiled eggs and fruit from the hotel breakfast bar.  for dinner the next night, we went to a restaurant in the french quarter.  they did not have a printed gluten-free menu, but they had a list of items that i could order (mostly grilled thing).  again, another delicious meal.  

i would definitely go back to NO, and not worry about food.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Thanks pricklypear...

I ended up bringing a bunch of food that i knew i could eat (tuna pouches, PB, nuts mixes, KIND bars) and figured i would hope for the best. i knew that i would be with a large group of cousins, and didn't want to be the 'whiner'. so, i went out and figured i would eat what i could, and know that i had stuff in my room if i needed it.

well, i had no issues at all!

we arrived in the afternoon, and i ate some tuna/nuts. then we went out for a late dinner at the Renaissance hotel. i asked the hostess if they had a gluten-free menu. they did not, but the chef was happy to make me something (both gluten and dairy free). he made me a delicious plate of zucchini, summer squash, fingerling potatoes, and onion - it was fantastic!. then next morning i was able to grab some hard boiled eggs and fruit from the hotel breakfast bar. for dinner the next night, we went to a restaurant in the french quarter. they did not have a printed gluten-free menu, but they had a list of items that i could order (mostly grilled thing). again, another delicious meal.

i would definitely go back to NO, and not worry about food.

That's great news. I'm headed to the gulf coast next week...and just realized raw oysters are gluten-free. I predict an oyster rich dining experience (yeah, I know...June doesn't have an "r" in it so its not the best time, but hey..).

june27 Apprentice

i am not a fan of raw oysters, but some of my family enjoyed a platter of them while we were there.  they raved about them!  

have a good trip.

GlutenStinks15 Explorer

I can tell you that when I was there in 2011, Bubba Gump Shrimp had a gluten free menu. I wasn't diagnosed at the time. I'm planning to go back in 2014 and I can't wait!

Archived