Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Can Gluten Molecules Permeate Egg Shells?

• Please log in to reply

10 replies to this topic

#1 kwylee

kwylee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

I'm doing some research and have a question.

If someone hard boil eggs in a pan that may contain traces of gluten, e.g., boiled pasta previously, could that cross contamination be absorbed into the inside of the shell to the egg? I would certainly expect cross contamination to be possible on the shell, but I'm wondering if anyone knows whether the egg shell is porous enough to allow the gluten into the uncracked egg itself?
K Wylee

Gluten Intolerant, Positive test, June 2010
Casein sensitivity, Positive test, June 2010
Reactive to soy, most processed foods & preservatives, June 2010

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

I don't THINK so, but when you crack the shell, any CC on the outside is bound to touch the inside, even if just for a second.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

If this were possible I'm pretty sure there would be warnings about it somewhere. On top of the shell of the egg, don't forget that there is also the skin inside between the shell and the part we eat. If you are truly that paranoid you can shell them under running water which is tbh about 100 times easier than shelling them any other way.

Edit: I realized after I posted that this may come off wrong, don't take it the wrong way. I am the most paranoid person I know since going gluten free. Seriously. I'm more afraid of gluteny children than contagious illnesses. Boiled eggs don't scare me in the least.

Edited by Adalaide, 21 September 2012 - 01:25 PM.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#4 kwylee

kwylee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

Edit: I realized after I posted that this may come off wrong, don't take it the wrong way. I am the most paranoid person I know since going gluten free. Seriously. I'm more afraid of gluteny children than contagious illnesses. Boiled eggs don't scare me in the least.

Thanks so much! I'm actually asking less for culinary purposes and more for research for something I'm writing. But I guess it would be a good thing to keep in mind if you're traveling.

And, no - please don't worry about offending me. I have a pretty "hard shell" - OK, my feeble attempt at humor. :D
K Wylee

#5 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

Thanks so much! I'm actually asking less for culinary purposes and more for research for something I'm writing. But I guess it would be a good thing to keep in mind if you're traveling.

And, no - please don't worry about offending me. I have a pretty "hard shell" - OK, my feeble attempt at humor. :D

I'd be interested to know how one could accurately test it, since a needle must go through the shell...you get my point.

I'd think the point is that it would get contaminated by touching the outside of the shell...unless you wash with soap???

Then you'd need to test the shell....

How bout just don't boil it in gluteny or cc water?

I bet you could find something on the permeability of eggs and then the size of gluten molecules. Are the molecules too big??

Oh look, this is how you could test it! http://www.stevespan...-egg-experiment
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#6 kwylee

kwylee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

I bet you could find something on the permeability of eggs and then the size of gluten molecules. Are the molecules too big??

Oh look, this is how you could test it! http://www.stevespan...-egg-experiment

Yes, you are absolutely correct! The size of gluten molecules must play a big part in this, but I wonder if the gluten molecules could possibly be carried through by osmosis even if the water molecules could not??? Clearly, I'm no scientist!

But thanks for that link. It got me thinking that perhaps I could do a test with food coloring in the water and hard boil the egg. If no coloring comes through in an uncracked egg, then perhaps nothing else go through? Hmmmm. Like I said, I don't want to eat it. I'm writing a novel and I'm kicking around a possible metaphor.

Thanks so much for letting me pick your brains!
K Wylee

#7 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

Yes, you are absolutely correct! The size of gluten molecules must play a big part in this, but I wonder if the gluten molecules could possibly be carried through by osmosis even if the water molecules could not??? Clearly, I'm no scientist!

But thanks for that link. It got me thinking that perhaps I could do a test with food coloring in the water and hard boil the egg. If no coloring comes through in an uncracked egg, then perhaps nothing else go through? Hmmmm. Like I said, I don't want to eat it. I'm writing a novel and I'm kicking around a possible metaphor.

Thanks so much for letting me pick your brains!

If the pan was washed well I wouldn't worry about it.
If the shell was cracked IMHO it might be more of a concern.
Your idea to boil some eggs in water with food coloring as an experiment sounds good to me. Let us know the outcome if you do it.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#8 deb445

deb445

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

I'm doing some research and have a question.

If someone hard boil eggs in a pan that may contain traces of gluten, e.g., boiled pasta previously, could that cross contamination be absorbed into the inside of the shell to the egg? I would certainly expect cross contamination to be possible on the shell, but I'm wondering if anyone knows whether the egg shell is porous enough to allow the gluten into the uncracked egg itself?

Egg shells are highly permeable.
In my opinion, it depends on how sensitive you are; or how are aware of your symptoms you are, that you may react. Have you had issues?

Gluten free for 5 years. Dairy free for years, but now OK with grassfed dairy.

Grain free for 2 years and now pain free.

A dedicated kitchen, a new passion for whole foods, Paleo inspiration

BLACK SEED and MSM has made a world of difference.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, but about learning to dance in the rain..." ~unknown

#9 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:28 PM

Agreed. Water can certainly get through them, but water (H2O) is a small molecule, with an atomic mass of 10. Prolamine molecules (gluten) have atomic masses in excess of 1,000. They are long chains of amino acids--which are themselves large.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 kwylee

kwylee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

In my opinion, it depends on how sensitive you are; or how are aware of your symptoms you are, that you may react. Have you had issues?

Thanks for the input and so sweet of you to ask, but I'm OK. My question is purely research. But it has made me wonder about eating boiled eggs from a pan of questionable cc status.
K Wylee

#11 kwylee

kwylee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

Agreed. Water can certainly get through them, but water (H2O) is a small molecule, with an atomic mass of 10. Prolamine molecules (gluten) have atomic masses in excess of 1,000. They are long chains of amino acids--which are themselves large.

EXCELLENT INFO!! Thanks so much!!!
K Wylee

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: