19 replies to this topic

#1 123glldd

123glldd

Advanced Community Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:23 PM

We have some wall plaster on the floor behind some furniture left from before going gluten free...how would we go about getting rid of this? normally we would vacuum but will that send this stuff into the air at all?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

Maybe. Maybe not. It would vary from vacuum to vacuum, based on how good the filter is. If you are worried, I would consider using a face mask during the actual process. Then stay out of the room for an hour while any remaining dust settles.

But, honestly, it is not something that worries me.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

With the average vacuum, I would not do it. I ruined my new central vac picking up sheet rock dust and the company said it was not made to pick that up. Vacuums are not made to pick up powder they said. Of coarse if it is an incindental amount I wouldn't worry about the vacuum.

I suggest someone else use the vacuum. Most vacuums do put dust into the air. To minimize that I wonder if you could use a special filter bag- if they have one for your vac. Change the bag before someone vacuums and when you are done.

If you can find noone else to vacuum, that does not have a gluten problem, I say the mask would be a good idea. I might pick it up with gloves and mask and small broom. I might vacuum. I would also rinse off everything used afterward. I would stay out of the room and revacuum several times before I was really happy with it.

I would say, for your information, that I think this is very cautious, and would satisfy me if I had the need.

I

#4 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

:) since I am WAY too cautious...I would also wet mop/wet wipe surfaces down and either wash the mop and rags on sanitize or use disposable things like paper towels...

#5 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

I have gotten ill from the dust from sheetrock. If its not cleaned up, its the bad gift that keeps on going. I know since I am a property manager of old cottages that often have needed repair.

If you can either wear a heavy duty mask with goggles or have someone else take a dampened paper towel(s) to pick up the sheetrock granules, and then just throw them away into a plastic bag, then it would reduce the amount that goes into the air from vacuuming.

You can buy vacuum cleaners that put very little dust into the air. I just got one from a used vacuum cleaner place, which reduced the cost to half.

I agree with cleaning the rest of the room. I would use a heavy duty mask while doing it, or have someone else do it.
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

#6 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

We live in the basement apartment of my in laws house..they could do it but i would be too paranoid about stuff in the air after. maybe i'll use wet paper towels to pick up the bit that's there and then the VERY small bit after i'll vacuum ...like so small i can't hardly see it lol it's almost behind the bookcase so it's not anything major it was just left from a minor repair. i might be able to do this without the vacuum we'll see. I had cleaned out the floor of our jeep a couple months ago using a dust buster..you know..the hand held things? well we had just bought it and i forgot it just has a compartment..when i opened it some dust came up and i freaked =\ Actually ..maybe that made me ill beginning of august hmmm Either way the thing couldn't pick it all up..was useless so we trashed it anyhow lol

#7 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

This reminds me...we still have holes in our walls that need repairing..how should we go about this? i know most plasters available out there have gluten..is there a "recipe" to make some at home or anything?

#8 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:31 PM

Not that i'm aware of. I'd just wear a good pair of gloves and have at it with a mask on.

#9 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:02 PM

I thought that someone said in another thread i saw that a normal mask isn't good enough when sanding that stuff that you need something that filters? =\ Is there possibly any brand out there gluten free? I don't want to have to worry about it =\ then i also have to worry about clean up after.

#10 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:32 PM

You need a vacuum cleaner with a good filtration system and even better a HEPA filter and that should do the trick. I would not advise dampening the plaster first, especially with an upright vacuum cleaner as it could damage the mechanics. For added protection use a face mask, you can also buy these with filters (from a DIY store). Of course, it would be better if someone else did the vacuuming for you but even then I would still advise a vacuum cleaner with a good filtration system so the particles are not left in the air, as this kind of dust takes ages to settle.
Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.
Despite all, remaining positive!

#11 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:21 AM

Naw what i'm saying is the little bit there i can probably get almost all of it with the damp paper towel and any miniscule stuff left could easily be vacuumed and practically unaffected by any damp towel.

#12 Victoria6102

Victoria6102

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

Sheetrock dust has gluten in it? I went to look at houses with my friends just for fun and we went to one that was in the middle of being built. As we were walking around everything was covered in some sort of dust( Sheetrock, wood...?!) I was obviously breathing it in, I could feel it in my lungs. Later that night my eyes got all swollen and red, itchy and watery. My eczema got really bad and my throat was itching/closing. Thought it was an allergic reaction to the dust, is it possible it was from gluten??!!! I usually have gastric issues, not that kind though.

#13 CeliacShack

CeliacShack

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

Wow! My husband and I have been renovating our home for the past couple years, off and on. I knew I was sensitive/allergic to the dust, but never imagined it was gluten. I just cleaned up some mess after a demo a week or so ago and wore a mask and gloves, but still didn't feel great afterwards.
Colette

Diagnosed with PCOS - 2001

Biopsy- diagnosed Celiac / gastritis - June 2012

Trying to heal

#14 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

I had NO idea there was gluten in sheet rock! :blink: This has been a really eye opening thread.

We live in a 90 year old house, which has plaster and lath instead of sheet rock. Anyone know if old plaster has gluten in it as well?

#15 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:38 AM

Here are links to other threads:

http://www.celiac.co...__fromsearch__1

http://www.celiac.co...__fromsearch__1
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: