19 replies to this topic

#16 Gemini

Gemini

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:57 AM

I had NO idea there was gluten in sheet rock! :blink: This has been a really eye opening thread.

We live in a 90 year old house, which has plaster and lath instead of sheet rock. Anyone know if old plaster has gluten in it as well?

I lived in a 130 year old house for 26 years and moved out almost 1 year ago. I did work on that house many times and I had horsehair plaster and sheet rock
all over the place. I am an extremely sensitive, diagnosed Celiac who nearly died from this disease. I hit the wall with Celiac in that house and I recovered well in that house. It was never, ever an issue. Unless you decide to snort it up your nose, and the dry wall does indeed have a gluten component to it, then this should not be a problem for anyone. Not all sheet rock is a problem. It can easily be vacuumed up but if it is a large amount, a wet dry vac would do better.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

Ok so since it was a rather small area and just a dusting of the wall plaster i put a bandanna with wax paper underneath it (between my mouth and nose and bandana) for a makeshift mask. wore vinyl powder free gloves and took duct tape and picked it up a bit at a time with that...that worked really well for the majority of it...then anything little left over i vacuumed. it would be such a miniscule amount i have my doubts it would be worrisome. i couldn't see anything anymore. and now the window is open.

#18 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

Ok so since it was a rather small area and just a dusting of the wall plaster i put a bandanna with wax paper underneath it (between my mouth and nose and bandana) for a makeshift mask. wore vinyl powder free gloves and took duct tape and picked it up a bit at a time with that...that worked really well for the majority of it...then anything little left over i vacuumed. it would be such a miniscule amount i have my doubts it would be worrisome. i couldn't see anything anymore. and now the window is open.

That's perfect! Duct tape is just awesome, isn't it? I think Celiac is the only thing duct tape doesn't fix..... :P

#19 123glldd

123glldd

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

That's perfect! Duct tape is just awesome, isn't it? I think Celiac is the only thing duct tape doesn't fix..... :P

I agree! lol You can do practically anything with it!

#20 yolo

yolo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

I agree--a vacuum cleaner with a hepa filter is the best. I bought a used refurbished one and its great! However I have also used a shop vac with good success. Thing is though that when you open it up you really need to be suited up with your mask, gloves and a clothes you plan to wash.

You can use the wet paper towel method, and then let it dry before using the vacuum.

Meanwhile I use one of those masks with carbon nozzles and extra cotton filter on the outside for nasty jobs like that. It does work.

As far as plaster goes, you can get the old fashioned kind that is just plaster and I think with a trace amount of corn. You mix it yourself. Again use the mask and gloves when mixing (and mix it outside) just in case there is CC. It does work! Then when it comes to sanding the patch, use the wet sanding method so the dust does not go into the air--and again the mask etc.

I always wash my clothes afterwards again to avoid CC.

Good luck! It should work out fine.
Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: