Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Suggestions For gluten-free Freezer Foods?

• Please log in to reply

7 replies to this topic

#1 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

Hi there,
We MOSTLY eat fresh foods and tons of fruits and veggies, but I am a busy, homeschooling Mom etc, etc, so I do need to grab and go sometimes...

What would you stock your freezer with?

:) Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:04 PM

Hi there,
We MOSTLY eat fresh foods and tons of fruits and veggies, but I am a busy, homeschooling Mom etc, etc, so I do need to grab and go sometimes...

What would you stock your freezer with?

:) Thanks!

I am trying to figure this out too. I'm freezing dinner leftovers like mad (I make huge veggie casseroles, main dishes, etc.). I freeze them in single-serving containers so I just can grab one for lunch.

Trying go get into the Sunday "cook big" habit. I'm making big batches of beans, rice, etc. and freezing single servings of those too. I have to make sure I don't have any excuse to go munch on Pirates Booty or gluten-free chips instead of healthier stuff!

It also makes fixing dinner easier, I can reheat those basic foods and just add fresh veggies, fish, chicken etc.

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:13 AM

For premade stuff these are a couple I like to keep always on hand-
Glutenfreeda burritos
Kinnickinnick pizza shells
extra loaves of Udi's bread
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:49 AM

I'm sure you will get the freeze soups or chli ideas. Homemade soups can be put over rice or noodles for something different. Chili can be put on nachos or salads. My son likes melted cheese on the chips and dip in the chili.

I make a big batch or 2 of smoothies and freeze them in this type of container or small bowls. You could also freeze them in ice cube trays or popsicle containers.

http://www.walmart.c...tem Description

Quick to grab one and briefly microwave or let it sit out and stir. We like to eat them with a poon frozen, too. I hate cleaning the blender. :(

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:43 AM

Forgot :

Hub grills extra burgers for my parents to put in thier freezer. Just microwave, yum!

I cook extra turkey Ital sausage and keep in the freezer. Make ahead or get a gluten-free brand of meatballs are a good idea. Hot dogs.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#6 lpellegr

lpellegr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:19 AM

Stuff made with Tinkyada pasta freezes well for me if it's not overboiled. I freeze lasagna and homemade mac and cheese (12 minutes cook time for the elbow mac) in individual serving sizes. Anything that comes out of a crockpot with a sauce usually freezes well. I also make pizza and freeze individually wrapped slices - these are good lunches for when you don't have a refrigerator or microwave.
Lee

I never liked bread anyway.....

#7 mamaupupup

mamaupupup

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for all the great tips! Anyone have an "inventory list" of what they aim to have in their freezers?

Here's what's in my freezer so far (in case it's helpful for others (note that 3 out of 4 of us are diagnosed Celiac, so our house and freezer are 100% gluten free so all items are gluten-free):

- 2 loaves of UDI's bread
- 1 package of Kinni (sp?) hotdog buns
- 4 homemade Blueberry Muffins
- 4 homemade Pumpkin Muffins
- 1 homemade quiche
- 3 WF Cupcakes (note that I need to make these homemade next time--600 calories and 55 grams of sugar!!!)
- Whole chicken breast
- Sausage
- Chicken nuggets
- Salmon
- 2 packs of freezer rice

Wants:
- 2 pie shells
- 4 pizza crusts
- 2 oven-ready pizzas (does anyone prep theirs and then freeze them?)
- 2 more loaves of bread
- 2-4 soups
- 1 chili
- 1-2 lasagnas
- 1-2 mac n cheeses
- 4 burritos
- Chicken mole
- Meatballs

Would love to hear what you all would add!
:)

#8 CeliacShack

CeliacShack

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:59 AM

[quote name='mamaupupup' timestamp='1348366245' post='824992']
Thanks for all the great tips! Anyone have an "inventory list" of what they aim to have in their freezers?

I have been trying to stock up my freezer with gluten-free foods for myself. I have made different types of stews in the crockpot, and frozen them in one meal size tupperware. I have also made spaghetti sauces and added lots of fresh produce from my garden. Unfortunatly, for three dishes that I made a ton of, I used spices that I have come to believe were not gluten-free, or at the very least, disagreed with me. So bummed. But, my non-gluten-free husband is enjoying bringing them to work for lunches. Oh well. I also noticed that my baking soda could have trace amounts. I can handle all the obvious gluten containing ingredients, it's the ones you don't expect that are making life difficult.

I'm new here and really appreciating all the info in the forums.
Colette

Diagnosed with PCOS - 2001

Biopsy- diagnosed Celiac / gastritis - June 2012

Trying to heal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: