• Please log in to reply

3 replies to this topic

gatita

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:28 PM

I am trying out this phone app called Fooducate that costs $4.99. Thought I'd give a mini-review here.

The app scans bar codes and tells you if a product has gluten, might be questionable, or has no gluten ingredients. You can also check for lactose, milk, soy and other major allergens. Only three at a time, though.

It's super easy to use with my old iPhone 3G, and most of the products I scanned were in their database, including some smaller health food brands, Trader Joes, etc. If a product isn't there, you can shoot a quick snapshot of the label and nutrition info and they'll analyze it and add it to the database. Pretty cool.

I found two drawbacks so far: one, it only checks ingredients for gluten — it doesn't say if a product was made in facility shared with wheat products. And two, when it says a product "might" contain gluten, it doesn't say which ingredient is the suspicious one.

That said, I found it useful and time-saving when it come to reading all those little lists every time I shop. If a product comes up as questionable, I'll just skip it for now until I do more research. I try to mostly eat natural foods anyway, but I found it useful for certain products I still use.

I also went through my whole cupboard and got rid of a few items I thought looked safe but actually had given me trouble. They showed up as questionable on the app.

Anyone else tried this or other apps?

ps. Oh, I also have a free app called "Find Me Gluten Free" that finds restaurants with gluten-free menus and food stores anywhere in the U.S. I'm getting afraid to eat out, but it was free, so what the heck.

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

Celiac.com Sponsor:

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,569 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:51 AM

Becareful of these apps. We had someone on here insistting something has gluten because of a "app". I don't remember exactly, but it was something that never has gluten. I would double check the ingredients before eating or discarding food.

Also, just because a restaruant has said they have a gluten-free menu, it only means the basic ingredients aren't gluten-free. There are a few that still fry the gluten-free fries with the non-gluten-free things, etc.

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

gatita

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

Becareful of these apps. We had someone on here insistting something has gluten because of a "app". I don't remember exactly, but it was something that never has gluten. I would double check the ingredients before eating or discarding food.

Also, just because a restaruant has said they have a gluten-free menu, it only means the basic ingredients aren't gluten-free. There are a few that still fry the gluten-free fries with the non-gluten-free things, etc.

Thanks for the warnings! Yes, I will still read the labels just to be sure.

And what you say is exactly why I'm afraid to eat in restaurants, at least for now. I had a fabulous gluten-free meal at PF Changs but something (I think the gluten-free dessert) didn't agree with me at all. (To be fair, it might have been the lactose in it.)

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

kareng

Kiss me! I'm Irish!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,569 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for the warnings! Yes, I will still read the labels just to be sure.

And what you say is exactly why I'm afraid to eat in restaurants, at least for now. I had a fabulous gluten-free meal at PF Changs but something (I think the gluten-free dessert) didn't agree with me at all. (To be fair, it might have been the lactose in it.)

The first time I ate at PF Changs' I didn't feel so good either. I ate way too much and it is very salty. I was so excited to eat out. Hub and I got the lettuce wraps (I ate 2/3rds), egg drop soup, 2 entrees and the dessertt (once again that 2/3rd split). Now, when I want some of each, I bring at least 1 teen boy. We get only gluten-free food so we can taste everything. I get lots of my lettuce wraps and soup and don't feel I have to eat as much entree as he will gobble it up.

"We have always found the Irish a bit odd. They refuse to be English."

Winston Churchill

May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead. 

music-on-st-patricks-day-smiley-emoticon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: