3 replies to this topic

#1 gatita

gatita

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:28 PM

I am trying out this phone app called Fooducate that costs $4.99. Thought I'd give a mini-review here.

The app scans bar codes and tells you if a product has gluten, might be questionable, or has no gluten ingredients. You can also check for lactose, milk, soy and other major allergens. Only three at a time, though.

It's super easy to use with my old iPhone 3G, and most of the products I scanned were in their database, including some smaller health food brands, Trader Joes, etc. If a product isn't there, you can shoot a quick snapshot of the label and nutrition info and they'll analyze it and add it to the database. Pretty cool.

I found two drawbacks so far: one, it only checks ingredients for gluten it doesn't say if a product was made in facility shared with wheat products. And two, when it says a product "might" contain gluten, it doesn't say which ingredient is the suspicious one.

That said, I found it useful and time-saving when it come to reading all those little lists every time I shop. If a product comes up as questionable, I'll just skip it for now until I do more research. I try to mostly eat natural foods anyway, but I found it useful for certain products I still use.

I also went through my whole cupboard and got rid of a few items I thought looked safe but actually had given me trouble. They showed up as questionable on the app.

Anyone else tried this or other apps?

ps. Oh, I also have a free app called "Find Me Gluten Free" that finds restaurants with gluten-free menus and food stores anywhere in the U.S. I'm getting afraid to eat out, but it was free, so what the heck.

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:51 AM

Becareful of these apps. We had someone on here insistting something has gluten because of a "app". I don't remember exactly, but it was something that never has gluten. I would double check the ingredients before eating or discarding food.

Also, just because a restaruant has said they have a gluten-free menu, it only means the basic ingredients aren't gluten-free. There are a few that still fry the gluten-free fries with the non-gluten-free things, etc.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 gatita

gatita

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

Becareful of these apps. We had someone on here insistting something has gluten because of a "app". I don't remember exactly, but it was something that never has gluten. I would double check the ingredients before eating or discarding food.

Also, just because a restaruant has said they have a gluten-free menu, it only means the basic ingredients aren't gluten-free. There are a few that still fry the gluten-free fries with the non-gluten-free things, etc.

Thanks for the warnings! Yes, I will still read the labels just to be sure.

And what you say is exactly why I'm afraid to eat in restaurants, at least for now. I had a fabulous gluten-free meal at PF Changs but something (I think the gluten-free dessert) didn't agree with me at all. (To be fair, it might have been the lactose in it.)

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,317 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for the warnings! Yes, I will still read the labels just to be sure.

And what you say is exactly why I'm afraid to eat in restaurants, at least for now. I had a fabulous gluten-free meal at PF Changs but something (I think the gluten-free dessert) didn't agree with me at all. (To be fair, it might have been the lactose in it.)

The first time I ate at PF Changs' I didn't feel so good either. I ate way too much and it is very salty. I was so excited to eat out. Hub and I got the lettuce wraps (I ate 2/3rds), egg drop soup, 2 entrees and the dessertt (once again that 2/3rd split). Now, when I want some of each, I bring at least 1 teen boy. We get only gluten-free food so we can taste everything. I get lots of my lettuce wraps and soup and don't feel I have to eat as much entree as he will gobble it up.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: