12 replies to this topic

#1 jenarella

jenarella

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:49 AM

I have had terrible migraines, gastrointestinal issues and extreme stomach bloating, for as long as i can remember. I have taken pain pills, multiple doctors, been to the chiropractor, had bio feed back therapy, you name i have done it. After many tests, 2008 they found i had white matter brain lesions. This prompted a spinal tap and then a tentative MS diagnoses. I then lost health insurance and did not go back to the doctor until 2 years ago. My doctor retook brain mri's and with lack of significant change thought the ms diagnosis was wrong. At this time, i was having routine migraines, vision problems, balance issues, extreme bloating, chronic diarrhea. My Dr. found that i was deficient in numerous vitamins, and anemic. My blood pressure was off the charts high also. I was 29 years old. Anyway after all this and many new tests, the ms diagnosis was dropped and i was diagnosed in about a two month span of time with diabetes, celiacs disease, and prolonged q t disorder. I have found that after adhering to the gluten-free diet, taking my medications for my heart and diabetes, all my issues are gone. I have also found that if i accidentally eat something that was contaminated with gluten, with in about two hours I will begin to get a headache, with in 4 hours it will become a migraine. This will usually last for about 2-3 days. No medication for pain helps, just time. If you have any suggestions on what i can do to help when this happens, i am all ears!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

Hi
This sounds rough. My migraines last about 12 to 24 hours, and I have to lie in the dark.

I take paracetamol and dihydrocoedine (UK, not sure what it is there).

I alternate between a hot water bottle and an ice pack (which ever I can stand at that time). I used to use a hot wheat bag, ho ho.

I sometimes use 4head, a rub on stick with levomenthol on my head neck and shoulders, or tiger balm.

Sometimes, once I can stand up I have a shower and go between hot and cold water.

I think each of these work by helping the bloodflow.

I listen to the radio (talk rather than music) as I can't read or watch tv and frankly get bored and lonely. Sometimes I play a relaxation celiac disease. I like ones which do a progressive technique so relax feet, legs, hands, arms etc.

I try to drink water so I dont get dehydrated.

I cover my eyes with a lavender bean bag.

I'm not sure how much all this helps me get rid of the migraines, but it is at least a distraction...

Sorry you have to go through this, hopefully you'll get some good advice (I'll be listening too...)

Good luck
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#3 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

That's relaxation celiac disease. Think my autocorrect has gone celiac mad...
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#4 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

No, that must be something the board does. I play a relaxation disc...

#5 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:24 PM

Yes, the board does have some automatic functions. g f is converted to gluten free. I am assuming c d is converted to celiac disease. ;)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 GF Lover

GF Lover

Melanoma Warrior

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

I have had terrible migraines, gastrointestinal issues and extreme stomach bloating, for as long as i can remember. I have taken pain pills, multiple doctors, been to the chiropractor, had bio feed back therapy, you name i have done it. After many tests, 2008 they found i had white matter brain lesions. This prompted a spinal tap and then a tentative MS diagnoses. I then lost health insurance and did not go back to the doctor until 2 years ago. My doctor retook brain mri's and with lack of significant change thought the ms diagnosis was wrong. At this time, i was having routine migraines, vision problems, balance issues, extreme bloating, chronic diarrhea. My Dr. found that i was deficient in numerous vitamins, and anemic. My blood pressure was off the charts high also. I was 29 years old. Anyway after all this and many new tests, the ms diagnosis was dropped and i was diagnosed in about a two month span of time with diabetes, celiacs disease, and prolonged q t disorder. I have found that after adhering to the gluten-free diet, taking my medications for my heart and diabetes, all my issues are gone. I have also found that if i accidentally eat something that was contaminated with gluten, with in about two hours I will begin to get a headache, with in 4 hours it will become a migraine. This will usually last for about 2-3 days. No medication for pain helps, just time. If you have any suggestions on what i can do to help when this happens, i am all ears!

Hi there. I have had migraines thru my life too. The migraine meds never worked for me. I take a benydril go to the darkest room in the house, lay down, and Irish Heart recently had me add an ice pack behind the neck. A very good addition I might add. Eventually when I fall asleep I have to stay asleep at least 5 hours minimum. Any less and it's still there.

It's the only thing that has ever worked for me. Good luck. I hope you find your relief.

HAVE A SUPER SHINY DAY

LTES gem 2014

*BiPolar, Major Depression, Anxiety *Hypothyroidism, *Celiac

*Metastatic Melanoma, *Immunotherapy Mitigated Vitiligo, *General Insanity

"We cautiously travel through life to arrive safely at our death" - J. R. C. , my Son.

Are We There Yet? and Dad says...All you have to do it ride it out.

Comments/views/opinions expressed on the site are my own and are not representative of Forum Admin/Owner

turkey-hiding.gif

#7 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

I get gluten migraines too; and have for probably the last 20 years. They usually last a few days to over a week. When they are at their peak, I take Brad Kings Ultimate migraine ... relief/medication... I can't remember the full name. It takes the edge off so I can still see and hear when I stand or make a direction change. It's not gone but the pain is reduced. I've never noticed that it helped with my aura and jumpy vision.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

#8 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

Yes, the board does have some automatic functions. g f is converted to gluten free. I am assuming c d is converted to celiac disease. ;)

This is true. The letters gf are replaced by gluten-free, and the letters cd are replaced by celiac disease.

You can force them to appear as intended--I just did ;) --by putting something invisible between them:

g[i][/i]f

Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#9 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

For me it's a combo of extra strength Tylenol (used to be ibuprofin but afraid to take it because of DH), to get through the day and antihistimine (Claritin) and then a dark quiet room ASAP and preferably sleep. Sometimes it takes 2 days to go away completely.

Mine se to be triggered by light/sound and bad seasonal allergies. They are much much less now gluten-free.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#10 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

To return to the original topic, I used to get ugly migraines, but since going gluten-free twelve years ago I have not had one.

In North America, paracetamol is called acetaminophen generically, and is also sold under the brand name Tylenol.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

#11 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:26 PM

If there's any way you can tell when a migraine is coming on, take a pain reliever with caffeine in it (gluten-free obviously) before the pain starts and it should lessen the severity quite a bit. Taking anything after the migraine hits usually doesn't have a big affect. Usually I start to see those floating spots and get tunnel vision before my migraines hit - and then I run for the medicine cabinet! Feel better! :)

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#12 katie-sbb

katie-sbb

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

I had 10 years of migraines before I went gluten-free. Only Zomig (zolmitriptan) worked - it is specific for that nerve. Ask your doctor for a prescription and take it next time you have a gluten accident and feel a migraine starting.

#13 DavinaRN

DavinaRN

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

I take a prescription med-maxalt for mine along with a phenergan for the neausa. Since these both knock me out it works.
Gluten Free since October 2012
Negative blood work, positive dietary response
Endocrinologist offered referral to GI if I needed formal diagnosis to follow the diet, otherwise just pass on wheat, barley & rye
and save my money

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: