Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Migraines

13 posts in this topic

I have had terrible migraines, gastrointestinal issues and extreme stomach bloating, for as long as i can remember. I have taken pain pills, multiple doctors, been to the chiropractor, had bio feed back therapy, you name i have done it. After many tests, 2008 they found i had white matter brain lesions. This prompted a spinal tap and then a tentative MS diagnoses. I then lost health insurance and did not go back to the doctor until 2 years ago. My doctor retook brain mri's and with lack of significant change thought the ms diagnosis was wrong. At this time, i was having routine migraines, vision problems, balance issues, extreme bloating, chronic diarrhea. My Dr. found that i was deficient in numerous vitamins, and anemic. My blood pressure was off the charts high also. I was 29 years old. Anyway after all this and many new tests, the ms diagnosis was dropped and i was diagnosed in about a two month span of time with diabetes, celiacs disease, and prolonged q t disorder. I have found that after adhering to the gluten-free diet, taking my medications for my heart and diabetes, all my issues are gone. I have also found that if i accidentally eat something that was contaminated with gluten, with in about two hours I will begin to get a headache, with in 4 hours it will become a migraine. This will usually last for about 2-3 days. No medication for pain helps, just time. If you have any suggestions on what i can do to help when this happens, i am all ears!

Ads by Google:

Hi

This sounds rough. My migraines last about 12 to 24 hours, and I have to lie in the dark.

I take paracetamol and dihydrocoedine (UK, not sure what it is there).

I alternate between a hot water bottle and an ice pack (which ever I can stand at that time). I used to use a hot wheat bag, ho ho.

I sometimes use 4head, a rub on stick with levomenthol on my head neck and shoulders, or tiger balm.

Sometimes, once I can stand up I have a shower and go between hot and cold water.

I think each of these work by helping the bloodflow.

I listen to the radio (talk rather than music) as I can't read or watch tv and frankly get bored and lonely. Sometimes I play a relaxation celiac disease. I like ones which do a progressive technique so relax feet, legs, hands, arms etc.

I try to drink water so I dont get dehydrated.

I cover my eyes with a lavender bean bag.

I'm not sure how much all this helps me get rid of the migraines, but it is at least a distraction...

Sorry you have to go through this, hopefully you'll get some good advice (I'll be listening too...)

Good luck

That's relaxation celiac disease. Think my autocorrect has gone celiac mad...

No, that must be something the board does. I play a relaxation disc...

Yes, the board does have some automatic functions. g f is converted to gluten free. I am assuming c d is converted to celiac disease. ;)

I have had terrible migraines, gastrointestinal issues and extreme stomach bloating, for as long as i can remember. I have taken pain pills, multiple doctors, been to the chiropractor, had bio feed back therapy, you name i have done it. After many tests, 2008 they found i had white matter brain lesions. This prompted a spinal tap and then a tentative MS diagnoses. I then lost health insurance and did not go back to the doctor until 2 years ago. My doctor retook brain mri's and with lack of significant change thought the ms diagnosis was wrong. At this time, i was having routine migraines, vision problems, balance issues, extreme bloating, chronic diarrhea. My Dr. found that i was deficient in numerous vitamins, and anemic. My blood pressure was off the charts high also. I was 29 years old. Anyway after all this and many new tests, the ms diagnosis was dropped and i was diagnosed in about a two month span of time with diabetes, celiacs disease, and prolonged q t disorder. I have found that after adhering to the gluten-free diet, taking my medications for my heart and diabetes, all my issues are gone. I have also found that if i accidentally eat something that was contaminated with gluten, with in about two hours I will begin to get a headache, with in 4 hours it will become a migraine. This will usually last for about 2-3 days. No medication for pain helps, just time. If you have any suggestions on what i can do to help when this happens, i am all ears!

Hi there. I have had migraines thru my life too. The migraine meds never worked for me. I take a benydril go to the darkest room in the house, lay down, and Irish Heart recently had me add an ice pack behind the neck. A very good addition I might add. Eventually when I fall asleep I have to stay asleep at least 5 hours minimum. Any less and it's still there.

It's the only thing that has ever worked for me. Good luck. I hope you find your relief.

I get gluten migraines too; and have for probably the last 20 years. They usually last a few days to over a week. When they are at their peak, I take Brad Kings Ultimate migraine ... relief/medication... I can't remember the full name. It takes the edge off so I can still see and hear when I stand or make a direction change. It's not gone but the pain is reduced. I've never noticed that it helped with my aura and jumpy vision.

Yes, the board does have some automatic functions. g f is converted to gluten free. I am assuming c d is converted to celiac disease. ;)

This is true. The letters gf are replaced by gluten-free, and the letters cd are replaced by celiac disease.

You can force them to appear as intended--I just did ;) --by putting something invisible between them:

g[i][/i]f

For me it's a combo of extra strength Tylenol (used to be ibuprofin but afraid to take it because of DH), to get through the day and antihistimine (Claritin) and then a dark quiet room ASAP and preferably sleep. Sometimes it takes 2 days to go away completely.

Mine se to be triggered by light/sound and bad seasonal allergies. They are much much less now gluten-free.

To return to the original topic, I used to get ugly migraines, but since going gluten-free twelve years ago I have not had one.

In North America, paracetamol is called acetaminophen generically, and is also sold under the brand name Tylenol.

If there's any way you can tell when a migraine is coming on, take a pain reliever with caffeine in it (gluten-free obviously) before the pain starts and it should lessen the severity quite a bit. Taking anything after the migraine hits usually doesn't have a big affect. Usually I start to see those floating spots and get tunnel vision before my migraines hit - and then I run for the medicine cabinet! Feel better! :)

I had 10 years of migraines before I went gluten-free. Only Zomig (zolmitriptan) worked - it is specific for that nerve. Ask your doctor for a prescription and take it next time you have a gluten accident and feel a migraine starting.

I take a prescription med-maxalt for mine along with a phenergan for the neausa. Since these both knock me out it works.