Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Profession Change?

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,I am new to this forum and not sure where to post. I have been gluten free for a little over a month and am still feeling poorly. I am wondering if my profession is contributing; I am a cook who scratch bakes at least twice daily and most often three times. I am very diligent about not tasting what I am cooking but I am still getting the horribly itchy bumpy rash on my arms and hands. I have not done anything career-wise except cook and I am worried that I might need to change what I do. The itching is unbearable. Has anyone else found that skin contact causes problems?

Ads by Google:

Hi all,I am new to this forum and not sure where to post. I have been gluten free for a little over a month and am still feeling poorly. I am wondering if my profession is contributing; I am a cook who scratch bakes at least twice daily and most often three times. I am very diligent about not tasting what I am cooking but I am still getting the horribly itchy bumpy rash on my arms and hands. I have not done anything career-wise except cook and I am worried that I might need to change what I do. The itching is unbearable. Has anyone else found that skin contact causes problems?

Hmmm. Wondering if there might be a new post for you at an up-and-coming gluten free restaurant?!

Yes, those of us with DH (which it sounds like you may have?), generally want to avoid topical gluten. For most of us that means no shampoo or hand lotion with wheat, gluten or oats, but having your hands in it all day would qualify. Is it possible to wear rubber gloves, and perhaps look for work some place that does gluten-free baking?

I would never take up a job where I would be baking with glutinous flours, and I don't have a topical reaction to gluten.

Topical reactions, as mentioned above, are definitely a thing.

Yes, those of us with DH (which it sounds like you may have?), generally want to avoid topical gluten. For most of us that means no shampoo or hand lotion with wheat, gluten or oats, but having your hands in it all day would qualify. Is it possible to wear rubber gloves, and perhaps look for work some place that does gluten-free baking?

Thank you for your response. I thought I was losing it when I noticed I was breaking out again. I don't have a definitive diagnosis of anything, although my GP said I had a gluten rash. The rash coupled with several nutritional deficiencies and anemia made her think it was a gluten issue. I am a little worried about looking for a new job as I have the all too rare in cooking world health insurance where I am at. I will try the glove approach and see what happens.

I was going to go to school for culinary and baking until I was diagnosed. I was working in a bakery which triggered my Celiac in the first place. I have decided to teach myself what I need to know and go take some gluten free courses and start up my own gluten free bar :} More than likely it is what is messing with you, don't give up your career, just adjust it to work at a gluten free place instead!

The biggest concern with baking isn't topical exposure it is breathing in the flour dust. Unfortunately yes a change in workplace is going to be needed. You may still be able to cook but you shouldn't bake unless the flours you are using are gluten free. Perhaps you could use your talents freelancing for different restaurants in your area by coming in on off hours and baking gluten free goodies that they can keep on hand for us.