2 replies to this topic

#1 melikamaui

melikamaui

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

I am celiac, as are my two children, and my mother. My brother tested negative (though I don't know if he's been tested for the gene). My brother's wife is now pregnant with their first child (YAY!!!) and I'm wondering, since he tested negative, do they have to worry about their baby being celiac? Should my sister-in-law avoid gluten while she's pregnant?

Thanks for any help. I really appreciate it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,006 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

The trait is genetic, but only a minority of those carrying the gene actually develop celiac disease. So, yes, there is a possibility that their child will have the genes and may be susceptible to developing celiac disease at some point in their life. Your brother tests negative today, but he could have the gene and have celiac disease triggered next week.

Worry--no. Be aware of the possibility--yes.

:)
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 melikamaui

melikamaui

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

The trait is genetic, but only a minority of those carrying the gene actually develop celiac disease. So, yes, there is a possibility that their child will have the genes and may be susceptible to developing celiac disease at some point in their life. Your brother tests negative today, but he could have the gene and have celiac disease triggered next week.

Worry--no. Be aware of the possibility--yes.

:)

Thanks for the reply. That's pretty much what I thought but I wanted to be sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: