27 replies to this topic

#16 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,743 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

I never have gotten one and won't this year. I wash my hands a lot and haven't gotten ill since the year I was diagnosed and hope that continues. (knock wood)
I was a bit nervous about catching it when I went back to college and then started working with the public but so far so good.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 BabsV

BabsV

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:20 AM

I've gotten them religiously every year for over a decade -- ever since a really bad case of the flu knocked me out for 3+ weeks (10 days in bed -- literally could not get up...it scared my room-mate to death at the time!) I do not have a problem with eggs so that's never been a consideration.

Also, after my diagnosis last August one of my doctors gave me the Pneumococcal vaccination which was amazingly painful BUT I did not have either of my winter colds turn into respiratory infections last year. For years any time I would get sick it would move into my chest and then it was always a course of antibiotics plus prednisone on a couple of occasions. And boy do I HATE taking prednisone!

#18 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:31 AM

I ALWAYS get the flu shot. The last time I didn't was the year that I started with what I think was the flu and then went into my full-blown untreated celiac reaction, which landed me in the hospital for 11 days and out of work for 10 weeks. IOW, I think the flu was what triggered my bad breakdown, although I know I had celiac disease symptoms before that. Anyway, that was the only time in the past 26 years I didn't have one and the only time in 26 years I've had the flu.

richard

#19 jmb002

jmb002

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:39 AM

I can't speak for the gluten part of the flu vaccine because I am just starting to wade through all of this (was just diagnosed as having DH last week :blink:); however, if you are allergic to eggs (you said you were when you were a baby) then you should NOT have the flu shot. I am in nursing school and that is one of the big things they tell us, but it doesn't seem to pertain to other vaccinations. I will do some research if you would like, but I wouldn't get the flu vaccine if you are allergic to eggs. You should probably verify that with your physician to see if he thinks you can, but if it were me I wouldn't.

Hope that helps :).
Jenn

#20 joolsjewels

joolsjewels

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:30 AM

My parents and brother all have either diabetes or RA, but they still get flu shots. Do not ask me why. It seems like the craziest thing to me. They all get sick! I refuse to get a flu shot and have not had the flu since elementary school, knock on wood really hard;). Ya'll can keep your flu shots for all i am concerned.

#21 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

I can't speak for the gluten part of the flu vaccine because I am just starting to wade through all of this (was just diagnosed as having DH last week :blink:); however, if you are allergic to eggs (you said you were when you were a baby) then you should NOT have the flu shot. I am in nursing school and that is one of the big things they tell us, but it doesn't seem to pertain to other vaccinations. I will do some research if you would like, but I wouldn't get the flu vaccine if you are allergic to eggs. You should probably verify that with your physician to see if he thinks you can, but if it were me I wouldn't.

Hope that helps :).
Jenn

There is no gluten in the flu shot.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#22 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

Years ago I got annual flu shots. However, I always reacted with nausea and gut pain. People told me I got a mild case of 'flu'. Yet I never got the traditional 'flu' symptoms of muscle aches and respiratory distress. 5 years ago my ELISA test results showed I was allergic (IgG mediated) to egg whites. No wonder I reacted badly to flu shots which are cultured in egg whites. I no longer get flu shots. I have NEVER gotten the flu even since I stopped taking flu shots 10 years go.

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#23 kristenloeh

kristenloeh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:49 PM

I need to get the shot since my immune system is so weak. Instead of getting the flu this year, I got Meningitis! *ugh* Gotta love being me!

Diagnosed Celiac 04.2012
Gluten-Free 04.2012

Diagnosed Pituitary Prolactinoma 12.2012

Low Cortisol/Possible Addison's Disease 02.2013

Maybe one day I will feel "normal" again. <3

#24 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:26 AM

Let me emphasize as well -- there is no gluten in any injectable!!

PS, just got my flu shot 50 minutes ago. Glad to have it.

richard

#25 GwenO

GwenO

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:07 AM

I used to avoid it but my job now requires me to have it done. I was quite resistant to getting it but didn't nitice any ill effects.

#26 josie656

josie656

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

I always get a flu shot because I have asthma so flu is particularly bad news. A couple of years I got sick after getting it but can't say if it was connected as there were other contraction possibilities. I understand the concerns but on the whole I think it's well worthwhile for anyone at extra risk if they get flu (elderly, low immune, asthmatic etc).

#27 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

I always get a flu shot because I have asthma so flu is particularly bad news. A couple of years I got sick after getting it but can't say if it was connected as there were other contraction possibilities. I understand the concerns but on the whole I think it's well worthwhile for anyone at extra risk if they get flu (elderly, low immune, asthmatic etc).

Yeah, that's me, elderly, on imunnosuppressant medication, COPD... they don't come much higher risk than me. :lol:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#28 Mom-of-Two

Mom-of-Two

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:59 PM

I have had the flu vax every year for about 11 years, my hubby was Army so he's had flu vax for like 20 years. Kids get them too. This year not sure on mist vs shot or them, my pediatrician says mist is more effective in children. But live vs killed virus, more side effects and high fever likely so I am on the fence.

Neither of us have ever had side effects, neither of us have had the flu, since getting married 10 years ago. Knock on wood!

My kids are 8 and 4 and luckily never had the flu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: