28 replies to this topic

#16 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

It's listed in the lower range, but again, what is safe? :( We use the same thing. Plus rice crackers rice cakes, rice cracker breading for chicken, rice flour for pancakes in the morning, Rice Chex, rich crispy cereal...

:(

I guess overall we didn't really eat a lot of rice. Me being diabetic, I have to watch my carb intake. Daughter had to give up refined things when she went on the South Beach diet. So I switched to brown rice. I bought a huge bag of it at Coscto but we haven't eaten it yet. I have several smaller bags of various brands to eat up first.

We never were big cereal eaters. Her typical breakfast is sliced apples, baby carrots and maybe a piece of cheese or some nut or seed butter.

Her lunch is similar with maybe some hummus or beef jerky thrown in. She also likes lettuce wraps which I will sometimes make her at home. And she LOVES popcorn! For a time, she was eating that for breakfast. I would pop some for me (always in a pan, never the microwave kind) and make extra for her. I was born in Wichita and there it is commonly eaten like cereal. You put it in a bowl and pour milk on it. I don't happen to like it that way but my mom loves it!

I also made her some breakfast "muffins" using a South Beach recipe. They are basically some egg product (like Egg Beaters), or you can use real eggs that have been whisked up. Then you add whatever cooked chopped meat you want (if in fact you want meat), plenty of cut up veggies like onions, peppers, broccoli, spinach, whatever you like, and some grated cheese (you can leave this out). Pour the mixture into greased muffin tins and bake until the egg is cooked through. Sorry I can't remember the exact time on them. Turns out that she didn't really like these. She's not a big egg eater. But apparently they are quite popular. You can also add some ground flax seed to this mix if you want.

Because we have other food intolerance, we have to think outside of the box, perhaps more than other people would. It is not necessary to eat a starchy carb with every meal. Fruit is a carb too and will provide energy. And then there are beans. They can be used in a variety of ways and they provide protein as well.

Smoothies can make a good breakfast. My daughter was making her own using a ton of spinach, some frozen berries and a little milk. When she could not use dairy she was using rice milk, but you could also use soy milk, hemp milk, almond milk, or if you can handle the carbs, even fruit juice to thin it down.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 StephanieL

StephanieL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:33 AM

Those are great ideas but we have a long list of actual allergies on top of Celiac so most of those won't work for us. I know all about thinking outside the box! lol

#18 Coco Loca

Coco Loca

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

By the way we use "rice selects" Organic Texmati Brown rice. I can't find anything on it.

Rice Selects Organic Texmati has a high level. Here is the chart from the article which shows the various levels by brand(scroll down):
http://www.consumerr...index.htm#chart

I eat a lot of rice products as well including the Tinkyada pasta which does not fair well in the list. I feed the Lundeberg short grain brown rice to my chickens every single day and sell their eggs at a farmers' market. I can't sell eggs that are tainted with arsenic with a clear conscious.

Right above the Brands chart in the link above, is a chart which shows you what you and your kids can safely eat each week by product, e.g. rice cakes, rice, rice milk, etc..
It's in a box that says Limit Your Exposure

#19 rachelh4207

rachelh4207

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

Alright, I think it is decided. Going on a more grain-free diet like a low carb diet except we will keep potatoes and stuff. I just can't keep letting my kids have the rice products!
Rachel

#20 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

In all honesty, i'm not going to worry about it. Why? Well, were all gonna die of something be it arsnic in the water or food or something else.

I personally cannot afford to not eat rice. beans are a no go for me as i get the worst stomach aches form them. I don't overly eat rice persay, but generally i'll make up about 3 cups a week and spread it out over that week.

#21 Mizzo

Mizzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

I will continue to eat rice from India (not u.s.)and wash it well before hand. Which is good practice anyway. Sigh !! nothing is ever, easy is it !!!!

#22 stacytr

stacytr

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

More info here: http://www.motherjon...arsenic-my-rice
As someone pointed out earlier and according to this article, the problem isn't rice in general, but rice in the USA that's the problem. It's basically grown in the South and California.
You might want to check/email/call where manufacturers get their rice from (and then post here!)
Mom to Emma (5) diagnosed celiac through endoscopy/biopsy (after wildly positive blood tests) in July '12 and Ian (10) diagnosed celiac by endoscopy/biopsy in Oct '12. Still have a lot to learn!

#23 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

I looked at the chart with the brands and I noticed there was no instant rice listed. I'm wondering if it might be because instant rice is pre-cooked so maybe the water they cook it in rinses off some of the arsenic?

And then I read in the Mother Jones article that there is arsenic in chicken! Guess what I mostly eat? Chicken and rice! And on top of that there is a naturally high level of arsenic in the water in this area.

I can eat potatoes instead of rice but I can't ditch the chicken. The pork here is often inedible. So may times I have bought pork and cooked it only to find it has that nasty, gamey taste, and I end up throwing it away. And I won't eat beef anymore because of all the crap they inject the cattle with. I love bison and I know it is "clean", but at nine dollars a pound I can't afford to eat it every day.

It sure seems that the world (or at least the world of agribusiness) is against us. :(

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#24 Invictus

Invictus

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

You think that's alarming? Wait until GMO's - dominantly -make their way into our food supply. DO NOT buy anything produced through genetic modification.

#25 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:35 PM

I just cleaned out the garage freezer and defrosted it. So next week for me it will be potato products. Sweet potato products for daughter. And meat patties or chicken that she didn't like too much. I am hoping she will forget that she didn't like it. Heh.

#26 Mizzo

Mizzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:07 AM

soo... 100 ppm = .100 gram = 1mg
avg grain of salt weighs .650grams 6x the amount of the PPM arsenic .

So again how much is too much and how much is irrelevant ?

IMO I am not too terribly worried about 1/6th the size of a grain of salt but will be sticking with imported rice as it's cheaper and now evidently safer. Sorry US farmers !!!

#27 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:10 AM

There is no garentee that imported is safer just so ya know.

#28 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:47 AM

Our fruit, veg and herbs are as organic as we can get them. My yard has been chemical free for at least 8 years since we've lived here, and from the state of it when I moved in, I doubt they even so much as watered the yard. The rice we have certainly does not come from the US. I'm not concerned about our overall diet because we are so careful with everything.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#29 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

Well, i fixed some last night and washed the heck out of it (looked up a youtube vid on how to do it). It tasted better :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: