17 replies to this topic

#1 rachelh4207

rachelh4207

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

Can they do that? I never eat anything that ANYBODY has cooked. I am so scared about having the baby! It is number 5 for us though so Dh can't take care of the others plus bring me food three times per day (hospital is 1 hour away) So what should I do? Any advise? I know my doctor said he would "order" me a gluten free diet but what about cross contamination?
Rachel

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,038 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

From most of the experiences I have heard, it is very unlikely you would get a really gluten-free meal at a hospital. Pack a small cooler & a bag of food or have someone bring in food. You should be able to eat packaged things like milk, jello, yogurt that the hospital has.

You could talk to the dietary staff ahead of time. If it were me, I wouldn't want to add a gluten reaction to all of the just had a baby stuff. Its probably only 3 meals anyway.

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 rachelh4207

rachelh4207

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:09 PM

Well for me, It will be more than that. I have to have another c-section so it will be three full days. With two of my children I have stayed more like 4 or 5 because they had to go to the NICU. After all the surgery and stuff, I CAN'T risk getting glutened. My sister in law works for the hospital so I thought about asking her if she could talk to all the nurses and see if they would keep me food in there refrigerator and bring me stuff as I need it. I am also scared to even eat something "gluten free" from chic fila or somewhere. I never tolerate eating out good period!
Rachel

#4 JillianLindsay

JillianLindsay

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

I was just in hospital overnight Tuesday to Wednesday and got a gluten-free breakfast Wednesday morning. It sucked, but it was gluten-free. It was krispy rice cereal (I think envirokidz), a gluten-free muffin, and coffee and orange juice. No fruit, no protein, just carbs, but I did not get sick from it. For the big day (I'm due Nov. 6), I will definitely bring some of my own food, but my hospital is able to provide gluten-free food too. I double-checked when they dropped it off and it said gluten-free on the paper that came with the meal.

Can they do that? I never eat anything that ANYBODY has cooked. I am so scared about having the baby! It is number 5 for us though so Dh can't take care of the others plus bring me food three times per day (hospital is 1 hour away) So what should I do? Any advise? I know my doctor said he would "order" me a gluten free diet but what about cross contamination?

gluten-free since July 8, 2009!

#5 rachelh4207

rachelh4207

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

For the big day (I'm due Nov. 6), I will definitely bring some of my own food, but my hospital is able to provide gluten-free food too. I double-checked when they dropped it off and it said gluten-free on the paper that came with the meal.

That's awesome to hear. I plan to contact the hospital and maybe even run by and talk to the people in the cafeteria to see what options I have. Maybe if I do my homework now, my sister in law can push them to order some stuff if they don't have a lot. :) Hey, it is worth a shot. I plan to bring stuff too, I just would love the option of them being able to bring me food too. It is SO MUCH EASIER
Rachel

#6 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:33 PM

I suggest cooking stuff like stews and freezing in individual bags. Put a cooler in your room and have someone heat it up for you in a micro.

Much safer and you won't stress.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#7 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

I'm facing this same issue soon(not having a baby though :lol: :P ). I meet with a surgeon this Friday about getting my gallbladder taken out. I'm hoping that it will be done through same day surgery and I get to go home. But there is always a possibility I may have to stay overnight. I'm nervous about having surgery anyway and don't want to add getting glutened to the mix.

I plan to pack some food items for me and will certainly contact the hospital cafeteria to see what can be offered safely.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#8 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:04 AM

.....and everyone of you that has to bring food....demand an adjustment in your bill!

#9 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:31 AM

If you could manage it, I would recommend talking to the dietician ahead of time. I know, I know, some of them are hopeless about gluten; and you probably can't hope to luck out like I did (the dietician was a celiac), but they can help you and talk to the kitchen staff and give them a brush up on gluten free. The hospital I was in did not have a gluten free menu but they did have Udi's bread (as a salt-free bread :lol: ) and the dietician made out a meal plan for me for every meal (and I was there three weeks!!). I ate a lot of salads with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, lots and lots of fruit and yogurt, sandwiches on Udi's, chicken and salmon with rice.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

If you could manage it, I would recommend talking to the dietician ahead of time. I know, I know, some of them are hopeless about gluten; and you probably can't hope to luck out like I did (the dietician was a celiac), but they can help you and talk to the kitchen staff and give them a brush up on gluten free. The hospital I was in did not have a gluten free menu but they did have Udi's bread (as a salt-free bread :lol: ) and the dietician made out a meal plan for me for every meal (and I was there three weeks!!). I ate a lot of salads with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, lots and lots of fruit and yogurt, sandwiches on Udi's, chicken and salmon with rice.

The dietician I consulted with after I was diagnosed just read off things from a pamplet and when I pointed out several mistakes she said that it seemed like I already knew enough. Didn't even mention the whole CC issue. Luckily my insurance paid for it cause it really wasn't worth my time. I know there are better ones out there though.

For me the biggest concern is getting CC'd from PO meds. I'm thinking my stay will be outpatient surgery so I can manage the food. I still plan on contacting the dietary staff just in case I have to stay overnight.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#11 rachelh4207

rachelh4207

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:47 PM

If you could manage it, I would recommend talking to the dietician ahead of time. I know, I know, some of them are hopeless about gluten; and you probably can't hope to luck out like I did (the dietician was a celiac), but they can help you and talk to the kitchen staff and give them a brush up on gluten free. The hospital I was in did not have a gluten free menu but they did have Udi's bread (as a salt-free bread Posted Image ) and the dietician made out a meal plan for me for every meal (and I was there three weeks!!). I ate a lot of salads with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, lots and lots of fruit and yogurt, sandwiches on Udi's, chicken and salmon with rice.

I called and talked to them and she said she had no doubt they could handle getting food for me that I could have as they are a 24hour room service type thing...I still doubted...So I tried to explain more...lol...she said If i will get her a list of foods I like (gluten free) that she will go herself and buy them to have on hand for me. But that still doesn't rule out cross contamination....Apparently when I eat gluten, I know while it is still in my mouth, as my mouth and throat starts burning right away. And I get a headache right away and gassy belly......So I might try it but if that happens, skip the meals and have my husband bring me food. But oh I don't want to learn the hard way :(
Rachel

#12 my3monkees

my3monkees

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

When my mother had open heart surgery 2 yrs. ago. The food was horrible and she wasn't really hungry anyway. So the dietician came up to see why she wasn't eating. My mom told her that she was having a hard time eating, but maybe if she could just have bowl of mashed potatoes that would go down well. At that point the dietician informed her, that no she couldn't eat potatoes, they contained gluten! LOL

#13 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:45 AM

When my mother had open heart surgery 2 yrs. ago. The food was horrible and she wasn't really hungry anyway. So the dietician came up to see why she wasn't eating. My mom told her that she was having a hard time eating, but maybe if she could just have bowl of mashed potatoes that would go down well. At that point the dietician informed her, that no she couldn't eat potatoes, they contained gluten! LOL

If they were instant they could have. I don't know of any at the moment that do but when my daughter was diagnosed some years ago, some brands did.

#14 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:47 AM

I really wish more hospitals would do what Children's in Oakland does. They had everything listed as a side dish. You could get black olives, green beans, baby carrots, string cheese, all sorts of things like that. Of course there is still a chance of cc but you know that you are getting whole foods.

#15 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:18 AM

Our public hospitals provide really well and cater to all needs. My daughter was in earlier this year and was given gluten free, vegan food that was really nice, no cross contamination risk because they have to deal with allergies and intolerances as well as preferences all the time so have to be vigilant.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: