4 replies to this topic

#1 CeliacShack

CeliacShack

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:06 PM

Hi, I'm new here, although I've lurked a few times. I was just diagnosed in June of this year, and am working to completely change my life!
Many of my symptoms have lessened or stopped,thankfully, and overall I'm doing better, with some setbacks. I still have bad days, and have accidently glutened myself a handful of times, just from ignorance, but I'm learning.
I've been trying to eat as healthy as possible and have been taking some supplements. I'd like to ask for some advice about supplements. What do you take? What do you recommend?
One of the things really upsetting me lately is hair loss. Anytime I wash, comb or run my fingers through my hair, it falls out. It's not just breakage, I can see the roots on the end. I'm hoping this goes away with time and healing?
Thanks for any advice, and I'm so glad to have found a group of fellow celiacs!
Colette

Diagnosed with PCOS - 2001

Biopsy- diagnosed Celiac / gastritis - June 2012

Trying to heal

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 flowerqueen

flowerqueen

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:09 AM

Hi, I'm new here, although I've lurked a few times. I was just diagnosed in June of this year, and am working to completely change my life!
Many of my symptoms have lessened or stopped,thankfully, and overall I'm doing better, with some setbacks. I still have bad days, and have accidently glutened myself a handful of times, just from ignorance, but I'm learning.
I've been trying to eat as healthy as possible and have been taking some supplements. I'd like to ask for some advice about supplements. What do you take? What do you recommend?
One of the things really upsetting me lately is hair loss. Anytime I wash, comb or run my fingers through my hair, it falls out. It's not just breakage, I can see the roots on the end. I'm hoping this goes away with time and healing?
Thanks for any advice, and I'm so glad to have found a group of fellow celiacs!

Welcome to the forum. Have you had your thyroid checked at all? Including TSH levels? Unfortunately if you have one autoimmune disease, the chances of having another are increased. One of the main symptoms I had before my under active thyroid was diagnosed was 50% hair loss (fortunately at the time I had very thick hair). Don't be too disheartened if it is your thyroid as there are meds to correct it.
Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.
Despite all, remaining positive!

#3 CeliacShack

CeliacShack

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:27 AM

Welcome to the forum. Have you had your thyroid checked at all? Including TSH levels? Unfortunately if you have one autoimmune disease, the chances of having another are increased. One of the main symptoms I had before my under active thyroid was diagnosed was 50% hair loss (fortunately at the time I had very thick hair). Don't be too disheartened if it is your thyroid as there are meds to correct it.

Thanks for the welcome, and the advice. :) I have had it checked in the past, but I am not completly sure that it was tested recently. I think I'm going to request an appt to discuss some of my concerns. I wasn't given a whole lot of follow up advice from my gastro, other than to follow the gluten free diet, and celiac is so much more complicated than that. I'm learning, but it can be overwhelming.
Colette

Trying to heal

#4 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

Welcome Colette!

A good gluten-free multi vitamin/mineral supplement is important. If you haven't had vitamin/mineral blood tests it would be a good idea. Many of us are low in specific nutrients which need supplementation until we start absorbing nutrients properly.

Best wishes for continued healing :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5 CeliacShack

CeliacShack

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:37 AM

Welcome Colette!

A good gluten-free multi vitamin/mineral supplement is important. If you haven't had vitamin/mineral blood tests it would be a good idea. Many of us are low in specific nutrients which need supplementation until we start absorbing nutrients properly.

Best wishes for continued healing :)

Thank you so much. :) After looking over many topics in the forums, I am convinced that I need additional testing. I have been taking a gluten-free multivitamin, as well as Vit D and Iron (both of which I have tested low on in the past) as well as Vit C and Fish Oil. I've been wanting to add to that, but am trying to space out all the numerous expenses that come with changing so many products in my home. Calling my doc now, thanks for the advice!
Colette

Trying to heal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: