This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

An Aussie G'day!

Brownie88

Brownie88 Newbie

Hi all, I am a 23 year old female from Geraldton, Western Australia. I have had positive blood work, am awaiting my biopsy results and have had a positive reaction to my new gluten-free diet. I have been gluten-free for only two weeks!!! I am working on creating new eating habits, being very careful and not being tempted (as yet). But I am feeling healthier everyday, so I don't feel I could be tempted. Still have a lot to learn, so if anyone has any advice they would like to offer that they maybe wish they receive when starting this diet that would be great! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

deltron80 Rookie

You may be our most distant gluten free outpost. Godspeed

mushroom Proficient

Don't be in a hurry to eat at restaurants until you have mastered the nuances of the diet.

Don't go running out right away and buying substitute gluten free foods for everything you are used to eating. Eat a mostly whole foods diet to start, along with a good gluten free bread and some gluten free pasta. Save the scrutiny of supermarket labels for a later time :)

Buy a crockpot and put it to good use (along with a crockpot cookbook - if necessary - although you can throw a bunch of things in a crockpot and it will usually come out good if you are at all used to cooking.

Develop a thick hide and don't be offended at how people react to your diet. Don't make a big deal of it either - just a simple "no thank you" when refusing food will often work, or "I don't feel well when I eat that". It is not necessary to educate the whole world to gluten free although in some circumstances it will be appropriate. The exception to this is when you start eating in restaurants and then you must tell them you are celiac or they will think you are following the fad, trendy, gluten free way of eating and won't take enough care with your food. They must know that gluten will make you sick, that you have celiac disease and will take you seriously.

So glad you are feeling better gluten free. Keep up the good work, and welcome to the board. :)

auzzi Newbie

Open Original Shared Link ..

New members are provided with a resource kit that includes:

• 2 months later...
Brownie88 Newbie

Don't be in a hurry to eat at restaurants until you have mastered the nuances of the diet.

Don't go running out right away and buying substitute gluten free foods for everything you are used to eating. Eat a mostly whole foods diet to start, along with a good gluten free bread and some gluten free pasta. Save the scrutiny of supermarket labels for a later time smile.gif

Buy a crockpot and put it to good use (along with a crockpot cookbook - if necessary - although you can throw a bunch of things in a crockpot and it will usually come out good if you are at all used to cooking.

Develop a thick hide and don't be offended at how people react to your diet. Don't make a big deal of it either - just a simple "no thank you" when refusing food will often work, or "I don't feel well when I eat that". It is not necessary to educate the whole world to gluten free although in some circumstances it will be appropriate. The exception to this is when you start eating in restaurants and then you must tell them you are celiac or they will think you are following the fad, trendy, gluten free way of eating and won't take enough care with your food. They must know that gluten will make you sick, that you have celiac disease and will take you seriously.

So glad you are feeling better gluten free. Keep up the good work, and welcome to the board. smile.gif

I was def in too much of a hurry to eat out I think..and taking too many 'risks'. I am not being careful enough and paying the price! especially experiencing bad 'brain fog' atm. But at least I am realising and know now that I have a LOT to improve on.

I think it is good advice to just say "no thanks" to food.. cos I feel like coeliac is all I talk about lately (I must sound annoying as).

I am struggling to find more wholegrains in my diet and squirm at paying $7 for a loaf of gluten-free bread or for a small box of gluten-free cereal. Why does it have to be so expensive.

Oh and I have been using my slow cooker heaps lately! Heaps easy.

Thanks for your comments and advice.

Brownie88 Newbie

Open Original Shared Link ..

New members are provided with a resource kit that includes:

•Coeliac Australia's Handbook

•Coeliac Australia's Recipe Book

•Coeliac Australia's Ingredient List for label reading

•Information on gluten free foods and eating out in WA

•A back issue of The Australian Coeliac

They also run workshops and supermarket tours ....

Yes I will need to do this. I really need the extra support!

weluvgators Explorer

Hello from Perth! It took a bit for us to understand how important an unprocessed foods diet was for us. We were living in the States and recently moved to Australia, in part because living gluten free is proving to be much easier for us here. We really enjoy going to all the farmer markets that are available here. If you do get cravings, just go for some of the gluten free stuff made in Australia. They make some very nice gluten free foods here. I would love to hear more about gluten free in Geraldton, as we want to head up that way. We are planning a trip to Esperance soon, and we have had no trouble travelling throughout the Southwest. Of course, we primarily go to markets and make our food, but we often stumble on some really great gluten free eats here. We love Australia's awareness of gluten free!

Welcome to gluten free living!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

Ah yes, Aus, home of the gluten-free corn thins! I get corn thins at a local organic market near DC. They make a nice sub for rice cakes. Corn tortillas are a nice sub for bread and generally much cheaper than a gluten-free bread. You can rinse them in water and nuke them or warm them in covered skillet to soften.

Some starting the gluten-free diet tips for the first 6 months:

Get tested before starting the gluten-free diet.

Get your vitamin/mineral levels tested also.

Don't eat in restaurants

Eat only whole foods not processed foods.

Eat only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.

Take probiotics.

Take gluten-free vitamins.

Take digestive enzymes.

Avoid dairy.

Avoid sugars and starchy foods.

Avoid alcohol.

Brownie88 Newbie

Hello from Perth! It took a bit for us to understand how important an unprocessed foods diet was for us. We were living in the States and recently moved to Australia, in part because living gluten free is proving to be much easier for us here. We really enjoy going to all the farmer markets that are available here. If you do get cravings, just go for some of the gluten free stuff made in Australia. They make some very nice gluten free foods here. I would love to hear more about gluten free in Geraldton, as we want to head up that way. We are planning a trip to Esperance soon, and we have had no trouble travelling throughout the Southwest. Of course, we primarily go to markets and make our food, but we often stumble on some really great gluten free eats here. We love Australia's awareness of gluten free!

Welcome to gluten free living!

WOW that is a big move! Glad to hear you are enjoying it. I think I am lucky to be in Australia as I have been discovering great gluten free foods... sometimes I think it would be a bit easier to live in the city (as there are more options).

But Geraldton isn't too bad.. there are quite a few restaurants that cater Gluten-free that are great! And Woolworths, Coles and most IGA supermarkets here have vast gluten-free sections. There is also the farmer's markets.

Some restaurants you may want to visit in Geraldton are, (Geraldton restaurants are more expensive than Perth)

L'Italliano's - has amazing gluten pasta, they also occassionally have gluten-free pizza bases but never had them the two times I wanted it!! So yet to try. But if you called in advanced and booked I am sure they could ensure they have it.

Salt Dish - has the freshest and most flavoursome food. Only open for breakfast and lunch, Tues-Sat. Although, a bit expensive - it is probably my favourite treat! Has gluten-free items marked on the menu, and there is a few.

Tide's Restaurant - Overlooking the City (good way to see surroundings), yet to try but have heard only good things. My dietician, who is coeliac recommends it.

Also, a cute place to visit is Culinary HQ, they sell gourmet foods but you can buy pre-made meals to dine-in or takeaway but you can actually buy the sauces, toppings, and some of the ingredients to make the meals yourself. The staff can tell you what is gluten-free. And they also sell delicious macarons (naturally gluten-free).

But I am a bit of a foodie myself so I feel lucky I enjoy making (and eating) whole foods which helps. I also buy my veg from a vegie stall from a local.. tastes so much better.

Hope that helps with your Geraldton visit!! If you want help with more info about geraldton, I'd be happy to help.

Brownie88 Newbie

Ah yes, Aus, home of the gluten-free corn thins! I get corn thins at a local organic market near DC. They make a nice sub for rice cakes. Corn tortillas are a nice sub for bread and generally much cheaper than a gluten-free bread. You can rinse them in water and nuke them or warm them in covered skillet to soften.

Some starting the gluten-free diet tips for the first 6 months:

Get tested before starting the gluten-free diet.

Get your vitamin/mineral levels tested also.

Don't eat in restaurants

Eat only whole foods not processed foods.

Eat only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.

Take probiotics.

Take gluten-free vitamins.

Take digestive enzymes.

Avoid dairy.

Avoid sugars and starchy foods.

Avoid alcohol.

My biopsy results did come back positive so I have been gluten-free for about 2-3 months (not long).

Yes, I love corn thins.. I acutally have them for lunch today. They are great because they are high in fibre and can replace bread! I normally top mine with hommus, ham and tomatoes.. mmm. I am yet to find a corn tortilla that I like, do you know any good brands? I found a gluten-free wrap (a bit similar to lebanese bread), I plan to make a pizza with it!!

In the new year, I will cut out dairy and alcohol for a while I think and see if that helps as I am still experiencing some sickness :(

GFinDC Veteran

My biopsy results did come back positive so I have been gluten-free for about 2-3 months (not long).

Yes, I love corn thins.. I acutally have them for lunch today. They are great because they are high in fibre and can replace bread! I normally top mine with hommus, ham and tomatoes.. mmm. I am yet to find a corn tortilla that I like, do you know any good brands? I found a gluten-free wrap (a bit similar to lebanese bread), I plan to make a pizza with it!!

In the new year, I will cut out dairy and alcohol for a while I think and see if that helps as I am still experiencing some sickness :(

HI Brownie

Mission brand corn tortillas are what I like. They have white corn and yellow corn varieties. I like the yellow corn versions better. The yellow are thinner and more flexible. Corn Thins with peanut butter are a great snack! Or with guacamole. I get them in Maryland in Hyattsville a the Yes Organic Market. Just in case someone local is looking for them, I know you are near the source of them though.

Archived