5 replies to this topic

#1 Auriana81

Auriana81

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

Today I broke down and went to RED ROBIN. I normally avoid them because I donít trust their food to be gluten-free without massive Cross Contamination. So itís been years since I have been. But today, well dangit I really wanted a hamburger. ;)

I live in Plymouth, MN right outside of the twin cities.

I printed out their Allergen list and we went to the closest one to us. The Plymouth Location:
2669 Campus Drive
Plymouth, MN 55441
(763)559-7576

All I can say is WOW!!!!

Our waitress came up and took our order and when I told her I needed my Hamburger Gluten free. She nodded, wrote it all down. I requested the fries that came with my meal be put on a different plate. Since I was told previously they use the same fryer. She seemed very helpful and even told me they have a gluten-free bun and offered it to me.

I hate making them go through trouble cause I need to know every ingredient as I have several other food allergies as well. So told her not to worry about the bun.
Shortly after we ordered, a man walked up to me and said, ďHello, I am the manager here and I heard you will be eating gluten free today?Ē I smiled and said yes and he asked me if I would list off all my allergies to him, and he said heíd make sure heíd go talk to the chef and let them know to make my food with extra caution.

So I thought wow how cool. They seem to really care!

We got our food shortly after. They placed each individual item on its own plate so I ended up with 3 or 4 plates in front of me.
I looked at the gluten-free bun they provided and it had that rich brown toasted color. Which made me very weary since, 1. Most gluten-free breads I find donít toast like that. And 2 it didnít look gluten-free.

So I pushed it aside and also moved my fries away as well. As I didnít want to risk eating them either.

Shortly after we were almost finished with our meal a 3rd man comes up to me and says, Hello I am the OWNER of this Red Robin. I hear you are eating gluten-free with us today. How was everything?

So I smiled,(I am not use to so much attention from a restaurant!) I told him it was very good and everyone was very nice and helpful. But then he asked me, did you not like our gluten-free bun? I expressed my concerns and he told me Oh no, We have a dedicated cooker we place the buns in and cook them in that, he also told me he went back there and made the people cooking my food put on fresh gloves, and use fresh silverware for cooking. And that the special dish they use to cook the bun is what helps get its color. He told me I hope you will return and try it with the bun next time.

He then asked, Do you not like our fries? I told him I know they have fried chicken and so many places use the same oil for frying, so I was being overly cautious. He says to me again, OH NO! We have a dedicated fryer for our French fries just for our gluten-free people! He told me You can eat those!
And he said him and the manager went back to the kitchen watching to make sure they did my food safe and correctly.

So I told him wow! I am really impressed! I told him he should really put all that info on the Red Robin website. As I normally hear negative experiences about Red Robin. And it was never on my list of safe places to eat. I tended to stay away from them in the past. Where had I known they try so hard I would have come back in much sooner!

I thanked him for caring so much, and told him I would sing their praises on our Celiac website!
He then gave me the e-mail to his corporate office and explained to me that not all Red Robins are up to the standards we all need yet.
But that he as the owner is making strides to make HIS Red Robin somewhere safe to eat! He provided me with a e-mail to their corporate office and a gift card for a free hamburger my next visit!

So I told him I would tell Corporate about the great job he is doing. And in time that might help to make it so Red robin is officially a safe place to eat!

If youíre in the area check this place out! The service and Management was amazing!

RED ROBIN
2669 Campus Drive
Plymouth, MN 55441
(763)559-7576

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

Had outstanding service at some good RR just like you.
Some are franchised and just don't care
I always recommend calling ahead first you'll know by the way they answer your questions whether or not they are, gonna be good:

I have found excellent responses from corporate every time I've written
Judy in Southern CA

#3 Estella

Estella

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

Red Robin is one of our "go to" places here in Toledo area. Both locations are great & I just ask for their food allergen menu when I enter. They bring one of their updated ones printed from online that covers all the major food allergens & what can be ordered. Asking for the specific menu from the hostess is my 1st step in letting them know I have special food allergen needs. They alert the wait staff who we have found to be well trained. Once I came across a trainee who was going to take my order without writing it down... guess he figured he was young & likely thought he had a great memory! :P I kindly requested he please write my order down as I could become VERY ill if it wasn't sent into the kitchen correctly. He pulled out some paper & didn't take long for the manager to arrive at our table to make sure of my order. ;) Was the only time I had even a smiggle of an issue with wait staff at RR before or since. If I ever have questions the staff is knowledgeable & thoughtful enough to recheck with the manager if they are in doubt about something they question or I ask about. I'm ovo vegetarian but hubsters loves a good burger... I don't usually eat french fries so that is where I MAJORLY indulge (sometimes at least 2 reorders) in their bottomless fries. If I've not quite hit my veggie needs that day then I'll also have a small side salad. However, my heart sings with my fill of RR's fries (sans Red Robin seasoning, of course). Know others have had a less that positive experience at times but we have found it consistently a safe place, as long as one calls ahead with questions on dedicated fryer, etc. plus allows the staff know kindly their needs when entering. You can go on their website & sign up for a Red Robin Royalty card or get one @ local RR then sign up on net. You'll get RR e-mails re: specials, notices of new menu items & you even get a FREE Gourmet burger for your birthday! I entered hubsters birthday so we're heading there next month to "celebrate". This month it's an "out of pocket" visit to Biaggi's for a gluten-free dairy-free pizza for my special day! Enjoy... life is just tooooo short!

#4 cap6

cap6

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:45 AM

So far I have been at various Red Robins in California, Oregon, Washington and Idaho and had excellent service at all. I usually ask for the kitchen manager just to be sure that they use separate fryers, etc. Most of the RR's use Udi's buns. It's a treat!

#5 kittty

kittty

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

Had the worst restaurant experience of my life in a Red Robin, but it's nice to hear that they aren't all terrible.

Even if the food had been gluten free, the crumbs all over the table, touching the clean silverware, definitely weren't. Eeww!

#6 LeahW

LeahW

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:14 AM

My local RR is one of my go to places (Burlington NC). When I tell the server I need my food to be gluten free, they are always on top of it, the kitchen manager always comes out to check on me no matter how busy they are and I have not gotten sick from eating there. I love that they have a dedicated area to cook and prepare my food and I don't worry about cross contamination.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: