23 replies to this topic

#16 Takala

Takala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

Okay, you can survive nicely on a lower carb diet (raises hand from personal experience) but you will need to take in some form of good dietary fat for slow burning longer term energy, such as olive oil, coconut oil or coconut milk, nuts, eggs, chocolate, etc. This might be as simple as you add in a big spoonful of peanut butter to breakfast, eat more olive oil at lunch and dinner, make your own trail mix for snacks, try baking with SCD or paleo type recipes with nut flours, etc. (I'm guessing you don't do butter and cheese right now).

My husband voluntarily eats gluten free at home with me, but he does not have my metabolism, and I have learned the hard way I must literally feed him a snack before doing something in the later afternoon, preferably a higher fat & protein carb such as something I baked, or at least a rice cake with something, or he will crash and burn while I'm happily chugging along on my banana and peanut butter or gorp snack. Maybe try slathering that sweet potato in almond butter, for example.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

Okay, you can survive nicely on a lower carb diet (raises hand from personal experience) but you will need to take in some form of good dietary fat for slow burning longer term energy, such as olive oil, coconut oil or coconut milk, nuts, eggs, chocolate, etc. This might be as simple as you add in a big spoonful of peanut butter to breakfast, eat more olive oil at lunch and dinner, make your own trail mix for snacks, try baking with SCD or paleo type recipes with nut flours, etc. (I'm guessing you don't do butter and cheese right now).

My husband voluntarily eats gluten free at home with me, but he does not have my metabolism, and I have learned the hard way I must literally feed him a snack before doing something in the later afternoon, preferably a higher fat & protein carb such as something I baked, or at least a rice cake with something, or he will crash and burn while I'm happily chugging along on my banana and peanut butter or gorp snack. Maybe try slathering that sweet potato in almond butter, for example.

I eat eggs for breakfast every day, and avocado with my lunch :) I never have been a fun of butter, but cheese is something I refuse to give up so I eat a little every day. Doesn't seem to matter what I do or don't eat, I still feel the same :(
lymphocytic colitis 8/1/12
diagnosed w/celiacs 8/14/12
gluten-free 8/14/12
dairy free, grain free, corn free 10/9/12

#18 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:05 AM

I guess my problem is - what do I do now? They tested my blood for things that run parallel to ulcerative colitis (folic acid and B12) and ran just the TSH test for thyroid. Somehow, I have to get my metabolism going again, because I'm pretty sure it's disappeared...and weight has taken it's place.
gluten-free 8/14/12

#19 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:29 AM

Are you taking in enough calories? A drop in calorie intake could slow down your metabolism, leading to fatigue and possible weight gain. When I first went gluten free I was cutting out the gluten foods, but not replacing the calories with other foods.

#20 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:36 AM

Are you taking in enough calories? A drop in calorie intake could slow down your metabolism, leading to fatigue and possible weight gain. When I first went gluten free I was cutting out the gluten foods, but not replacing the calories with other foods.

I eat a pretty healthy balanced diet, and calorie wise, it's the same as it has been the last 10 years - which is why this is all so weird to me. It doesn't seem to matter how much or how little I eat (trust me I've played with this), I have NO energy, and the weight piles on.
gluten-free 8/14/12

#21 Iris court

Iris court

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:50 AM

I thought I was loosing my mind for the 3years prior to my celiac diagnosis, a neurologist shook his head, and sent me on my way saying it's in your head, nothing further I can do for you. Then some dentist were involved , no one could help me with the terrible pain that was in my head. Diagnosed with fractured teeth, surgery done to remove them and the pain would still come back. I called that pain a monster in my head, oh the bad days my children suffered along with me.
Finally, after years of suffering all types of symptoms that no one could put together face, head, neck, eye, arm pain, weight gain, bloating, gas, constipation and diarrhea, exhaustion and sever depression an amazing GI in NYC put it all together.
Celiac, Trigeminal Neurologia ,microscopic colitis , along with additional food allergies.
Now I just have to figure out what I can eat that actually provides a healthy balance for my skinny body.
Such a shame that it takes so long to put these pieces together . Life is too short...

#22 CeliacShack

CeliacShack

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:13 AM

I thought I was loosing my mind for the 3years prior to my celiac diagnosis, a neurologist shook his head, and sent me on my way saying it's in your head, nothing further I can do for you. Then some dentist were involved , no one could help me with the terrible pain that was in my head. Diagnosed with fractured teeth, surgery done to remove them and the pain would still come back. I called that pain a monster in my head, oh the bad days my children suffered along with me.
Finally, after years of suffering all types of symptoms that no one could put together face, head, neck, eye, arm pain, weight gain, bloating, gas, constipation and diarrhea, exhaustion and sever depression an amazing GI in NYC put it all together.
Celiac, Trigeminal Neurologia ,microscopic colitis , along with additional food allergies.
Now I just have to figure out what I can eat that actually provides a healthy balance for my skinny body.
Such a shame that it takes so long to put these pieces together . Life is too short...

I also had teeth break over the past couple years, before I was diagnosed. The dentist couldn't understand why they broke. There was no decay, no cavities. Now I know.
Colette

Diagnosed with PCOS - 2001

Biopsy- diagnosed Celiac / gastritis - June 2012

Trying to heal

#23 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

I also had teeth break over the past couple years, before I was diagnosed. The dentist couldn't understand why they broke. There was no decay, no cavities. Now I know.

I too have had HORRIBLE teeth since my teenage years...one more thing I have an answer to after finding out about all of this.
gluten-free 8/14/12

#24 CeliacShack

CeliacShack

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

I too have had HORRIBLE teeth since my teenage years...one more thing I have an answer to after finding out about all of this.

I actually had very strong healthy teeth for most of my life. Lots of cavities as a kid, but then none for 25 years, until I started to really get ill in the past couple years. That was when the broken teeth started. This past dentist appt I had three cavities. Two of my three sisters have had tons of problems with their teeth, as well as other issues that could be celiac. They haven't been tested yet, however. I've been gently sharing info with my family, and encouraging them to at least consider the possibility.
Colette

Diagnosed with PCOS - 2001

Biopsy- diagnosed Celiac / gastritis - June 2012

Trying to heal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: