2 replies to this topic

#1 VydorScope

VydorScope

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

My father called over the weekend and during our conversation he told me his doctor told him he had "a leaky gut" and prescribed him some probotics to treat it. He was told no diet changes/etc, just the probotics.

My father lives 2,500 miles away (little more actually) so its not like I see him much at all to know what is going on, so I was wondering does that sound legit at all?

- Vincent -

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,005 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

Wow....I am surprised his doctor called it a "Leaky Gut" - did he mention why he thought his gut had become Leaky? Or mention what tests were run.

Will probiotics help? Maybe
Are probiotics enough? Doubtful

Food intolerances, bacteria, yeast can all play a role in a leaky gut - if food is the cause - it needs to be removed to give the gut a chance to heal. After all what is Celiac Disease - ingestion of gluten that causes intestinal permeability - a leaky gut.

Some think that Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) causes leaky gut and that antibiotics and/or probiotics can resolve this. People show improvement with hefty antibiotic courses, but the SIBO returns - repeatedly. Diet needs to be changed along with meds to end this cycle.

Legit - kinda
Full story - not likely

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 VydorScope

VydorScope

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

Yeah that is all I know right now. He did say that the probiotic was helping so I guess that means something.

- Vincent -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: