#1 cbrob

cbrob

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

Hello Peeps,

One of my most noticeable symptoms during my time with undiagnosed celiac was memory loss. It was mostly an issue with remembering faces. I am happy to say that being gluten free has restored my memory, and removed the social anxiety that comes with not remembering people you've know for years. I'm wondering what is the root cause of the neuro issues with celiac...Is it the auto-immune response attacking the brain or is it malnutrition from malabsorption that leads to the brain issues. Anyone know?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:32 PM

At the conferences I've attended, it's been pointed out that the blood flow to the frontal lobes is reduced in celiacs who eat gluten. Also, plaques can form throughout the brain. Take a look in the articles section of this site, because there are some interesting articles on neurological damage to the brain.

#3 MegRie

MegRie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. I have spent many years working with people with special needs and am continually finding links with gluten sensitivity and/or celiac disease. For example many people with Down Syndrome have Celiac Disease. I also read recently that women with Celiac Disease are more likely to have children with Autism.
I just finished reading a book, "Pretending to be Normal", about a woman who has Asperger's Syndrome but did not find out until she was an adult. It got me thinking about "weird quirks" I've had throughout my life. When I was a kid I hated wearing socks because "the seams hurt my feet" and to this day I literally can not stand the sound of people rubbing their feet on the carpet. These could be linked to Sensory Perception Disorder. My mother told me that when I was young I would throw the worst tantrums for hours over what seemed like absolutely nothing and that she could not get me to stop. It makes me wonder what link is here that we are missing, and if we could figure it out we might really be onto something. Also, a little off subject but what about scoliosis? Could this be due to celiac disease and malnourishment?
I know that is a whole lot of slightly disconnected thoughts, but it's just really been on my mind lately.

#4 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:21 AM

I think that it is auto immune and not malabsorption since the symptoms come on quickly upon accidental ingestion of gluten.

#5 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:21 AM

For me gluten ( and soy) has caused "brain" issues. My neurologist stopped short of diagnosing ataxia mainly because she could not believe my issues were caused by soy ( I had only been gluten free for about 8 months at the time) :rolleyes: .

All I know is when I am glutened or ingest soy I have memory/ataxia/ brain issues .

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#6 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,767 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

I think that it is auto immune and not malabsorption since the symptoms come on quickly upon accidental ingestion of gluten.

That is the case for me also. I also have what are called UBO's, or Unidentified Bright Objects which are lesions that are diagnostic of the autoimmune attack on the brain.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#7 megsybeth

megsybeth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

I've been wondering about this too. My son has pretty bad motor delays and I've always been very clumsy, in addition to forgetful and flaky before my diagnosis. I know in young children fat is essential to the developing brain. So I do think the malabsorption of fats could play into it. I think the brain needs fats on an ongoing basis, so it might just shut some wings off, the way you would close rooms in a big house if you only had so much wood to burn.

#8 Skysmom03

Skysmom03

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

My son has ADHD and scored "lower" on long term memory 92 even though his full scale IQ is 118. The doctor believes that his celiac was triggered two to three years ago which was exactly when we noticed a huge drop in reading scores and reading comprehension. Math no problems at all. All other scores at or above grade level. Reading/ memory in the second to early third grade range. He is in the fourth grade. So I definitely think celiac plays a huge role in all of this( oh and I must say that the testing was done 2 weeks prior to his official celiac diagnosis.

#9 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 04:23 AM

Hi
A bit late coming to this, I know, but with gluten I used to have balance issues. Only a little but enough to be a nuisance and make me self conscious - comparable to getting up after a large glass of wine! Also slightly clumsy, knocking myself on things. I also do one morning a week requiring mental arithmatic and with gluten the numbers are in a thick soup in my brain. Happy to say without gluten my balance is fine and my brain agile.
I have taken this as a warning of what could happen in the future without being gluten free - gluten directly affects my brain!

#10 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

There are many articles about neurological impairment, gluten ataxia and celiac.

I think it may be both ---autoimmunity and the complications of long term UnDXed celiac disease and malabsorption.
Many vitamin, mineral and amino acid deficiencies can cause memory issues..

I had so many of them myself for 3 horrible years and suffered what I call "gluten head" (and they come back if glutened accidentally)

One says:
"patients who develop neurological dysfunction should be carefully screened for these. However, malabsorption does not satisfactorily explain the pathophysiology and clinical course of many of the associated neurological disorders. Other mechanisms proposed include altered autoimmunity, heredity, and gluten toxicity"

That citation is found here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/12151653

Here are some other articles:

http://www.livingwit...xia-2366-1.html
http://www.livingwit...ity-1800-1.html

and
https://sites.google...tationsofgluten

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#11 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,203 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

I have been thinking when my body picks up gluten, or something else it doesn't like, it just shuts off getting nutrients.

Diana

#12 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 06:50 AM

"Gluten Head" - that's what it is !!! New medical term, I think :P .

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:04 AM

"Gluten Head" - that's what it is !!! New medical term, I think :P .

Copyrighted by IrishHeart 2011
first used in a conversation with EatMeat4Good.
(she'll vouch for me) :D

I call what I lived in Gluten Head Hell
(will probably be the title of my book.)

Cracked up my GI doc with that one. He asked if he "could use it". I said "Go for it dude"
but give me props when you do.
(not really funny back then "during it" --not funny at all)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#14 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,237 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:09 AM

The Op hasn't been back since "he" posted this. Wonder if the "gluten head" caused him to forget his password? :)

This happened to me. I made a Facebook page and promptly forgot the password. Then realized I had entered the email wrong, too!

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#15 Lady Eowyn

Lady Eowyn

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

Another aspect of Gluten Head - when glutened on waking in morning I have to go through the days of the week to work out what day it is! Had no idea this was caused by gluten until gluten free!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: