This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Possible Dh In 5 Year Old Son

jlaw

jlaw Apprentice

Hi all, I'm keeping an eye on my 5 year old son. He has skin coloured bumpy elbows which sometimes scab, but are sometimes just clean bumps, too! He also has a rash that comes and goes on the back of his neck. I'm just watching it for now - the areas are classic DH spots, but he doesn't seem to be itchy on his elbows, just his neck. And it is presenting differently to the way mine did. Has anybody seen just 'bumpy skin' as a DH presentation?

Thanks for any thoughts

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

climbmtwhitney Apprentice

Hi all, I'm keeping an eye on my 5 year old son. He has skin coloured bumpy elbows which sometimes scab, but are sometimes just clean bumps, too! He also has a rash that comes and goes on the back of his neck. I'm just watching it for now - the areas are classic DH spots, but he doesn't seem to be itchy on his elbows, just his neck. And it is presenting differently to the way mine did. Has anybody seen just 'bumpy skin' as a DH presentation?

Thanks for any thoughts

Yes! My son gets DH on his elbows and the back of his neck too. Usually just bumps as well. Sometimes very red, sometimes not. The ones on his elbows are super painful for a day or two. They're itchy, but only mildly. He's 9. At first (several years ago) he would get them on his neck (and those were very itchy), but now it's almost always on his elbows. The last 2 times he accidentally had gluten it took about 24-48 hours and he had the rash. We were 100% positive he had gluten. Once was at school when his teacher gave him an ice cream sandwich and he thought he could just pick off the crust. :blink: The other was when I mistakenly mixed up the Applegate chicken nugget boxes at the store and he had 1 bite and said "mom, these taste different!" His one bite and my one bite (while serving them) made us both horribly sick. : (

squirmingitch Veteran

Yes. It could very well be pre-dh or early presentation. From reading a lot of experiences on here it seems like most all of us can recount bumpy skin that didn't itch & then as the years went by those bumpy skin parts began itching. DH presents in various ways & can vary from person to person & from stage to stage. Keep an eye on it.

jlaw Apprentice

thanks... *sigh* Not that it was inevitable, but of course my kids would be somewhat in the celiac firing line! I just wish they would be spared..

squirmingitch Veteran

Maybe they will be spared yet. We can always hope!smile.gif

Archived