4 replies to this topic

#1 jlaw

jlaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:19 PM

Hi all, I'm keeping an eye on my 5 year old son. He has skin coloured bumpy elbows which sometimes scab, but are sometimes just clean bumps, too! He also has a rash that comes and goes on the back of his neck. I'm just watching it for now - the areas are classic DH spots, but he doesn't seem to be itchy on his elbows, just his neck. And it is presenting differently to the way mine did. Has anybody seen just 'bumpy skin' as a DH presentation?
Thanks for any thoughts
DH dx by skin biopsy July 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 climbmtwhitney

climbmtwhitney

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:17 PM

Hi all, I'm keeping an eye on my 5 year old son. He has skin coloured bumpy elbows which sometimes scab, but are sometimes just clean bumps, too! He also has a rash that comes and goes on the back of his neck. I'm just watching it for now - the areas are classic DH spots, but he doesn't seem to be itchy on his elbows, just his neck. And it is presenting differently to the way mine did. Has anybody seen just 'bumpy skin' as a DH presentation?
Thanks for any thoughts

Yes! My son gets DH on his elbows and the back of his neck too. Usually just bumps as well. Sometimes very red, sometimes not. The ones on his elbows are super painful for a day or two. They're itchy, but only mildly. He's 9. At first (several years ago) he would get them on his neck (and those were very itchy), but now it's almost always on his elbows. The last 2 times he accidentally had gluten it took about 24-48 hours and he had the rash. We were 100% positive he had gluten. Once was at school when his teacher gave him an ice cream sandwich and he thought he could just pick off the crust. :blink: The other was when I mistakenly mixed up the Applegate chicken nugget boxes at the store and he had 1 bite and said "mom, these taste different!" His one bite and my one bite (while serving them) made us both horribly sick. : (
Jillian

I was dx Celiac 2008 + casein, soy, legume, & nightshade intolerant; dx hypothyroid 2006

14 yr. old daughter dx Celiac + plus casein & soy intolerant 2008
12 yr. old daughter dx gluten intolerant 2008
9 yr. old son dx Celiac 2008 + casein intolerant. DH Rash.

#3 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:15 AM

Yes. It could very well be pre-dh or early presentation. From reading a lot of experiences on here it seems like most all of us can recount bumpy skin that didn't itch & then as the years went by those bumpy skin parts began itching. DH presents in various ways & can vary from person to person & from stage to stage. Keep an eye on it.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#4 jlaw

jlaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:12 AM

thanks... *sigh* Not that it was inevitable, but of course my kids would be somewhat in the celiac firing line! I just wish they would be spared..
DH dx by skin biopsy July 2012

#5 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

Maybe they will be spared yet. We can always hope!Posted Image

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: