6 replies to this topic

#1 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:37 AM

I have been having annoying problems with my psoriasis. Just a little patch on my forehead that seems to keep moving. One spot will clear up and a new one will pop up right next to it. I have had a little patch going since about March. Somebody told me that I might need to eat more beets. I can't remember exactly why but I love beets! So when I found some organic steamed beets at Costco, I bought them.

I have eaten these beets three times and each time have had horrible stomach distress. I don't think I threw up. I have thrown up some. I do have gastroparesis. But I don't think I threw up from the beets. I just felt very, very unwell. And trying hard not to be too graphic here...what came out the other end was kind of strange.

I don't get it because... I have eaten other beets with no problem. I have eaten small amounts of raw beets in a salad. I have eaten canned or roasted beets. To be fair, I don't eat beets often because nobody in the house likes them but me. Maybe once every couple of years I will lose my head and roast some. Then I will remind myself that even though people say that roasted beets are superior in every way, they are just too much work. They stain my hands red and to me they don't taste any different than the canned ones. Once in a while I will buy small cans of beets. And if I am at a place with a salad bar, I will get beets. Never any problems that I can remember.

But apparently these steamed beets do not like me. I threw out the last package so I won't be tempted to eat them. They did seem oddly fibrous. Maybe it was just too much fiber for me or something. I don't know.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

I have in the past eaten canned beets, home prepared "beet root" (pickled in vinegar) without problem. Last year I bought some baby beets and roasted them in the oven - with disatrous gastric results although hubs loved them. I dropped them from my food list. I just now did a google search and find that beets are quite high in lectins and quite extensively genetically modified (which tends to involve splicing lectins) so I won't be looking to add them back in. I am very lectin sensistive.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

I have in the past eaten canned beets, home prepared "beet root" (pickled in vinegar) without problem. Last year I bought some baby beets and roasted them in the oven - with disatrous gastric results although hubs loved them. I dropped them from my food list. I just now did a google search and find that beets are quite high in lectins and quite extensively genetically modified (which tends to involve splicing lectins) so I won't be looking to add them back in. I am very lectin sensistive.

Interesting! Thanks!

#4 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:54 AM

I ate a few sliced of canned beets tonight. I wasn't very hungry so I didn't eat a lot. But so far so good!

#5 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:04 AM

My experience with beets is that I do better with them from my garden where there are no contamination concerns. Even then, though, I sometimes have problems. They seem to be able to make a preexisting minor stomach problem seem much more major!

Beets are known to have an effect on the bowels.
http://www.livestron...eets-on-bowels/

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

My experience with beets is that I do better with them from my garden where there are no contamination concerns. Even then, though, I sometimes have problems. They seem to be able to make a preexisting minor stomach problem seem much more major!

Thanks for that info, Steph.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:21 PM

Interesting! Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: