5 replies to this topic

#1 icm

icm

Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:38 AM

I've heard that many children with Autistic Spectrum Disorder have IBS.

I've noticed that over the years, I've always felt queasy after eating carrots. From what I've read carrots are high in lutein type substances.

Lutein sensitivity sounds like it's common in ASD. I've only just heard about this issue myself and it seems like it may just fit the bill.

What are your thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,630 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:14 AM

Before you search for other, less likely causes for your issues, try being gluten free for 6 months-no cheating - no magic "cure" pills. Maybe dairy free, too. Try the more likely things first.

I would ask you for your reputable source for this "I have heard" info but, this isn't an autism site, so most of us don't follow the research.

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#3 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

I've never heard of that. Gluten, however, has been known to make things worse.

#4 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

Carrots bother me too. So I don't eat them anymore. With celiac disease the damage to the gut can lead to food intolerances of many kinds. Carrots are one of them, for some of us.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#5 Sarah Alli

Sarah Alli

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

Your eyes require lutein to function properly. Go on a lutein free diet and you are shooting yourself in the foot- not to mention you will probably starve since it is in nearly everything from leafy vegetables to animal fats.
There isn't really any actual scientific evidence that *-free diets are useful in reducing the symptoms of autism anyway, and this is certainly the most extreme iteration of that trend I've seen. The evidence is all anecdotal and doesn't bear out when you do actual placebo-controlled research. In most cases, it doesn't hurt, but it certainly is going to hurt if you try to eliminate so essential a nutrient from your diet.
Sick and tired of being sick and tired.

#6 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:19 AM

I've never heard of that before, only the Gluten-free Casein-free diet which we now have because we're vegan and the child is coeliac so we have to be anyway.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: