This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lutein Free Diet

icm

icm Apprentice

I've heard that many children with Autistic Spectrum Disorder have IBS.

I've noticed that over the years, I've always felt queasy after eating carrots. From what I've read carrots are high in lutein type substances.

Lutein sensitivity sounds like it's common in ASD. I've only just heard about this issue myself and it seems like it may just fit the bill.

What are your thoughts?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Before you search for other, less likely causes for your issues, try being gluten free for 6 months-no cheating - no magic "cure" pills. Maybe dairy free, too. Try the more likely things first.

I would ask you for your reputable source for this "I have heard" info but, this isn't an autism site, so most of us don't follow the research.

shadowicewolf Proficient

I've never heard of that. Gluten, however, has been known to make things worse.

GFinDC Veteran

Carrots bother me too. So I don't eat them anymore. With celiac disease the damage to the gut can lead to food intolerances of many kinds. Carrots are one of them, for some of us.

Sarah Alli Apprentice

Your eyes require lutein to function properly. Go on a lutein free diet and you are shooting yourself in the foot- not to mention you will probably starve since it is in nearly everything from leafy vegetables to animal fats.

There isn't really any actual scientific evidence that *-free diets are useful in reducing the symptoms of autism anyway, and this is certainly the most extreme iteration of that trend I've seen. The evidence is all anecdotal and doesn't bear out when you do actual placebo-controlled research. In most cases, it doesn't hurt, but it certainly is going to hurt if you try to eliminate so essential a nutrient from your diet.

come dance with me Enthusiast

I've never heard of that before, only the Gluten-free Casein-free diet which we now have because we're vegan and the child is coeliac so we have to be anyway.

• 5 years later...
Hypnobambie Newbie
On 9/26/2012 at 8:38 AM, icm said:

I've heard that many children with Autistic Spectrum Disorder have IBS.

I've noticed that over the years, I've always felt queasy after eating carrots. From what I've read carrots are high in lutein type substances.

Lutein sensitivity sounds like it's common in ASD. I've only just heard about this issue myself and it seems like it may just fit the bill.

What are your thoughts?

Since not eating lutein, having to pick carrots out of many a salad, lol, I can eat salads again...no carrots works for me

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Hypnobambie Newbie

I have been doing the lutein free diet for 6 months, it's like night and day...when I get lutein I crash w symptoms...when I don't I get stronger and stronger.

I am dairy free, oxalate free, grain free, lutein free and feeling much better. I can hike again...

Ennis-TX Grand Master

Never considered this, I know casein makes my Asperger flare up....But I have never gone a meal without some form of lutein foods in 2 years....always eating spinach, kale, romaine or small amounts of broccoli, but I need the vitamin A and vitamin K. Something to consider I guess, but on this I would have to supplement them I guess. UC is under control and no more blood loss that way means I can probably chance cutting down on the vitamin K for a bit. Carrots always had to be steamed to mush when I used to eat them....very tough on the gut. I now avoid them as the sugars/carbs flare the UC. Bit it might explain why I have alaways had some form of my aspy traits present with all the other gluten, dairy, soy food removed...or just be I am a aspy.

Archived