#1 KC in KC

KC in KC

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:48 AM

Hi everyone! :D

I'm SO glad I found this forum! I'm a chronic user of such things -- the support and the knowledge-sharing is so valuable! -- so when I realized we were starting down Celiac Road, I knew I needed to find some people to walk with. I've been lurking for a couple of days now already ;)

We're approaching a celiac diagnosis a little bit backwards -- in chasing down some GI issues, my doc did the biopsy already. It came back with "moderate inflammation", so he's ordered the celiac panel. I'm just waiting not-so-patiently for the results now. I know the biopsy results *could* be from other causes, but based on symptoms from myself and my daughter, celiac sure sounds like a strong likelihood. Kinda feels like waiting for the other shoe to drop now.

We have a couple of friends with confirmed celiac, so I have absorbed a certain amount of knowledge from them already, plus I know I've got some automatic local support, if necessary. But I'm a research junkie, so I'm dealing with the waiting-suspense by researching. :P

Just at the moment my biggest concern is simply logistics. I don't do much cooking at home right now, thanks to time pressures, but I know our budget won't stretch to cover much in the way of gluten-free-convenience foods. I'm going to have to figure out a new set of priorities, I think. :(

Anyway, Hi! :lol:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

Hi :) and welcome to the board. I hope we can provide you with whatever support you need.

Yes, if there is one thing gluten intolerant people discover, it is that they have to do more cooking than they have been used to in the past. I once joked to a friend that if I want to make a pie with a cookie crust, first I have to bake the cookies :lol:

You will find that a crockpot is an indispensable kitchen item, and you will probably end up cooking in bigger batches than you are used to so that you have leftovers, both for lunches and for nights when that's all you're up to.

But don't let it overwhelm you. Millions of us, cooks and non-cooks alike, manage to cope with it very successfully.

Let us know how your blood tests turn out.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

Welcome to the forum KC! :)

There is lots to learn here about celiac disease and gluten intolerance. And eating gluten-free for that matter. Your budget should be fine if you stay away from processed foods and concentrate on whole foods and cooking them yourself. Cooking is going to be important for you so you can know what is in your food rather than guessing what someone else may have put in it that could make you sick. But it doesn't have to be gourmet cooking to taste good and be nutritious too. Simple meals are good for starting out as your gut needs time to heal and it is easier with simple foods. Anyway, welcome again and feel free to ask questions.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: