#1 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

Hi All

So, this is kind of a random question, but I'm trying to figure out a reason why the exact same meal I cooked and ate and felt fine after eating one day, would floor me the day after when eating it again (leftovers). I usually make extra for dinner and take leftovers for work. Sometimes I have enough for two more meals.
I usually microwave them at work, in a glass container. Sometimes I'll have a reaction to it, even though I was fine the first time. Sometimes the opposite applies. Though I notice it's more likely that i'll feel funny afterwards if I'm eating leftovers from 2-3 days before. Could things really go off that fast? or is something else going on?
Also, I haven't been taking digestive enzymes at work, so that could be another reason.

Just wondering if anyone else had notice this. I know it's not gluten/milk/soy because I cooked it all myself with ingredients I know are safe.

Thanks for any opinion

Peg

~ Be a light unto yourself. ~ - The Buddha

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- mild gastritis seen on endoscopy Oct 2012. Not sure if healed or not.
- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

How long after you cook the meal do you put it up? Sometimes it can start to go bad if its been left to sit too long (i learned the hard way).

#3 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

Though I notice it's more likely that i'll feel funny afterwards if I'm eating leftovers from 2-3 days before. Could things really go off that fast? or is something else going on?

I've experienced the same, tho it's been a few years. For quite some time I could only do leftovers that were frozen.

One scenario starts w/ the thought that if that exact meal sat in the fridge for months, there'd be mold no matter how tightly it's sealed. (Excluding vacuum-packed, for sake of arg) That leads to the thought that rather than 'mold as invader', some microscopic amount already exists (in the air in the container?).

So it would grow more in 2-3 days than in 1, and it'd make sense that the same meal frozen is still ok.

But I don't know for sure if that scenario is true, or how common being that sensitive to mold is, but I do know I was ok w/ only frozen leftovers until ~ a yr ago.

So see if it's different when frozen. (Hope it's not noodles - mine never handled it well)
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#4 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:09 PM

Reactions can be delayed, and show up a few days later. So you may have set things in motion the first time you ate it, and got the full brunt the next time you ate it.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#5 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:02 PM

I usually (but not always) have things in the fridge in about an hour. I like to let it cool off first, and usually have it eaten up within 3 days. If it's longer, it usually gets a good frying, or gets chucked. I hate wasting food...
But yeah, it could be more that something got to me in the meantime. Because while it's usually the leftovers that bother me, sometimes the fresh-cooked dish hurts me and the leftovers are fine. So weird.
My food rarely makes it to the freezer (and I usually forget about it being up there when it does)
Juat wondered if anyone else had noticed this at all. It's always something to keep in mind.

Thanks

- Gluten-free since March 2009 (not officially diagnosed, but most likely Celiac). Symptoms have greatly improved or disappeared since.
- Soy intolerant. Dairy free (likely casein intolerant). Problems with eggs, quinoa, brown rice

- Family members with Celiac: Mother, sister, aunt on mother's side, aunt and uncle on father's side, more being diagnosed every year.

#6 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:34 PM

I could think of a few reasons, perhaps, although some would be much less likely, I'd imagine. :-)

1. Do you have any yeast or fungal issues, perhaps? I could see yeast increase in food over time, so that eating it later would have a slightly higher number of yeast that could affect you.

2. If you have any bacterial issues, like SIBO? Bacteria would increase on the food over time and that might have an effect? Unsure on that one.

3. Have you ever been checked for histamine intolerance? Histamine levels increase in foods as they age, so many histamine intolerant folks get a reaction from older food that they don't from fresher food.

4. You could have an intolerance rather than an allergy (I wasn't sure which you had?) If so, as most intolerances are quantity based, you could be reacting the second time because you've reached your threshold of that food and so start reacting. How much you can tolerate over what length of time seems to differ by person.

Myself, there are a couple foods that I can have once every few days, but if I have them two days in a row, I react. Unfortunately, sometimes I'll forget and use an ingredient in multiple dishes over a few days, so I'll start reacting at day 2 or 3.

That seems the most likely, to me, unless you have another known condition. :-)

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#7 Minstinguette

Minstinguette

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:56 PM

It does sound like histamine intolerance to me. Histamine develops extremely fast on poultry and fish. My histamine intolerance is better now after 2 years gluten/dairy/corn free. But I still can't have wine :(

Intolerant to gluten, corn and dairy
Gluten free since 2010

Hashimoto's

#8 Pegleg84

Pegleg84

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

Hi again

Well, I haven't had any trouble with yeast for quite a while (thank god. that's no fun), and no bacterial issues that I know of (though I just got a stool sample done and haven't gotten the results yet).
I don't know much about histamines. I don't have any actual allergies (that I know of) aside from Celiac and intolerance to milk and soy.
I'm thinking its more likely #4 - that I have the same thing two days in a row and it hits me the 2nd time, particularly acidic/spicy foods like tomato sauce, curries, etc.

I'm also suspicious whether or not microwaving food has an affect on it.

I started taking digestive enzymes a couple weeks ago and they seem to be helping somewhat.

Anyway, I was just curious whether anyone else had this problem.

Thanks!
Peggy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: