Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Test Results Help (Image Attached)

5 posts in this topic

20120926131050145.jpg

I was told over the phone by the nurse that my celiac panel test was negative. I had been gluten free for 4 weeks before the test, 3 days before being tested I ate 5 slices of pizzahut hoping to have accurate test results. I was shocked that my test was negatitve. Does my test suggest any type of gluten sensitivity if not celiacs? Thanks

Ads by Google:

Your tests are negative, and you are a normal producer of antibodies. But one would expect the tests to be negative after four weeks gluten free. The antibodies do not enter the bloodstream that quickly (five slices of pizza in the three days before the test :o ) For valid testing it is recommended that you be on a full gluten diet for 6-8 weeks prior to testing.

What were your symptoms that made you suspect Celiacs and were you symptomatic during your blood draw?

Eating pizza (like what I did) is not enough, you have to be symptomatic (in my case, in pain or passed out) for the test to be reliable.

My IgA was 147 (normal range is 81 - 463 mg/dL), I was having symptoms too, so it's baffling for me as well.

Eating pizza (like what I did) is not enough, you have to be symptomatic (in my case, in pain or passed out) for the test to be reliable.

Actually, even being symptomatic is not enough. You can be symptomatic big time if you are that sensitive from just a crumb of gluten, but it doesn't mean that you will have a positive test. All the labs give ranges for their negative, equivocal and positive scores, and those ranges do not necessarily indicate the kinds of symptoms you are experiencing. People test positive without being aware of any symptoms, and negative when they feel like they are dying. The tests measure how many antibodies are circulating in the bloodstream, and as far as I know the mechanism for activating sufficient antibodies is not well defined. That is why there are so many varying lengths of time recommended to be eating gluten before the tests. Some doctors say two weeks, some people say three months. And in reality, for everybody it is a different length of time. It is just so disappointing to test negative because you were not consuming enough gluten. :(

I didnt have any symptoms during the test. I've had most of the symptoms you all do, and symptoms I didn't know I had until I quit gluten. The big thing was the blisters in my crack went away, something I had for 8 years and would not go away from any treatment at all but the diet. I stumbled on a post and someone had the same issue and said it was gluten related. I've been googling this issue once in a while to find out what it could have been but no luck before. No doctor would have ever guessed. I guess it was DH it is still there but at least I can sit down and watch a movie at bite without my hand down my pants at my inlaws. If I didn't see that post I'd still be suffering.