Get email alerts Get E-mail Alerts  

• Articles  ||  Forum Home  ||  Gluten-Free Mall  ||  Store  ||  Journal of Gluten Sensitivity

• Ads by Google:

• Announcements

• Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease SymptomsWhat testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease ScreeningInterpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test ResultsCan I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful?The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-FreeIs celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic TestingIs there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and DisordersIs there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients)Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients)Gluten-Free Alcoholic BeveragesDistilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free?Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free DietFree recipes: Gluten-Free RecipesWhere can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Store.For Additional Information: Subscribe to: Journal of Gluten Sensitivity

New To Board

Started by mom2sidkid,

3 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hello everyone! My 5 y.o dd was just diagnosed 2 weeks ago, and my 14 m.o. dd just had blood work done today. My 5y.o. presented with very slow weight gain (she weighs in at 37 pounds), very-very dry skin, ADD (dx'ed the same day as the blood resluts came in 2 weeks ago!) frequent mood swings, poor school preformance, and craving carbs. She also has a disorder called Sensory Intergration Dysfunction. (hense mom2SIDkid). We removed gluten at the very time of confirmed blood test. (Dr. did not do a biopsy at this time) It's been a little rough going to say the least. BUT, My dd's eye have been shining much brighter, dark circles are definatly less, and she is talking SO much!!!

Having a few problems finding good things to eat, so much of her past diet was bread type products, and most of what she will eat now is loaded with sugar. (have not found decent gluten-free bread or bread mix). Because of her sensory issues there are things that she completely avoids eating because of how it feels. (in her mouth or hands)

I am glad to meet all of you, and to know that I am not alone in helping my dd (possibly dd's!)

Posted · Report post

I don't have alot of experience regarding the ADD or mood behaviors, but I love a gluten-free bread mix I get. It's from Bob's Red Mill Wonderful gluten-free bread mix. It's very easy and tastes great! It freezes well too.

Hope this helps.

There are many recipes on this site...

Posted · Report post

I have tried and use daily a bread from "Food For Life"... there are several types (flavors) so find one she'd enjoy. Does she like raisins? They have a cinnimon and raisin one. I particularily like the white rice or brown rice. They are pre-made and take moments to toast and have a nice little snack or with your meal. Its not light and fluffy like normal bread but I have grown to enjoy it very much.

Or here is a recipie for some bread:

Yeast-Free Sandwich Bread

1 cup brown rice flour or garbanzo/fava bean flour

2/3 cup potato starch

1/2 cup tapioca flour

3 tablespoons honey or sugar

2 tsp. xanthan gum

2 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. unflavored gelatin

1/4 tsp. potato flour

2 large eggs, lightly beaten or 1/2 cup soft silken tofu, creamed

1 cup milk (cow, soy, or rice)

1/4 cup melted butter or vegetable oil

Grease two 5x3 inch non-stick pans, or a 9x5 inch non-stick pan.

Preheat oven to 375degrees F.

Copmobine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl. With electric mixer on low, add remaining ingredients and mix until smooth.

Spoon in prepared pans, smooth top with wet spatula (if necessairy), and bake small pans for 45-50 minutes, large pan for 50-55 minutes until top is deeply brown and loaf sounds crisp when tapped. Don't underbake. cool completely on wire rack before slicing eith electric knife. Serves 12.

NOTE: Sugar may be reduced but crust will be rougher and flavor somewhat diminished.

Yeast-Free Dill Onion Bread: Add one teaspoon dillweed, 1 1/2 tsp dillseed, and 1Tbsp dry minced onion.

Enjoy, lemme know how it turns out if anyone tries it. I just got the cookbook and havent tried it yet. Yumm cant wait though!