80 replies to this topic

#31 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,742 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:26 AM

That feeling of constant hunger is not all that unusual for us. It can be caused by the body not being able to absorb the nutrients it needs from the food we are eating.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:56 AM

While I agree it could be a stress type thing, I wouldn't rule out physical too.

I know when I eat too much carbs, for me especially bread and sugar, I get a horrible full but hungry feeling.

I think I am better now I eat more whole foods, but I did realize I had gotten into the habit of eating after a meal.

It has taken a while, but now if I know I have eaten good food, I try and distract myself (load dishwasher, sort washing, call friend etc) and tell myself I could have something half an hour later.

If I ate junk, I was often still feeling hungry. Real foods, usually fine and forgot about it.

There is loads going on for you now I really hope you start to get some ideas how to move forward and some medical help.
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#33 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:55 AM

Just wanted to say....when you have a problem with gluten, it can cause very REAL psychological issues. Many of us here find that it causes anxiety and depression, some even suffer hallucinations from it. Eating disorders are also common on the board and a lot of people have found relief from the constant binge/purge/starve cycle when they went gluten free. Gluten causes serious neurological issues, don't let anyone try to convince you that it couldn't possibly be your problem!

#34 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:09 AM

Hi Sandra,

The being hungry feeling could be related to blood sugar issues also. If t is, then eating bread / carbs is not good for you. You could ask your doctor to test you for blood sugar reactions. Or you could get a glucose meter for about $30 at a drug store. They make some pretty cheap ones now. The way to test is to test before eating, an hour after eating, and 2 hours after eating. you can also get an A1C test to check your average blood glucose for several months back.

It is sometimes hard for people to accept that gluten can cause them a problem, and that they need to change their eating habits. Parents don't want their children to be sick and sometimes won't admit even to themselves that they may have an illness. You need to do what is best for you and if that means eating gluten free then so be it.

Going gluten free may help stabilize your blood sugar. If you have blood sugar problems then you should eat some protein with every meal and avoid sugar and carbs. It would be a good idea to get some testing done first to see where you are at.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#35 SandraLAVixen

SandraLAVixen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

If anything, my stomach has a psychological problem. :/

Because I'm feeling one thing and its feeling another, plus it still does not explain why only wheat flour hurts.

UPDATE:

So I got rice bread, I got a couple that are gluten-free and a few with 20-25% gluten.

I have so far tried BOTH rice breads/cakes, both with and without gluten and so far NO PAIN!!

So far it looks like gluten may not be the cause (but the baker said she used very little gluten in the ones that were suppose to contain gluten).
Wheat and gluten tolerant until Dec 2012...
causing pain afterwards...
Gluten-free Feb to Mar 2012.
Endoscopy, pillcam, biopsies, Celiac profile, NEGATIVE.
Elimination diet isolated to gluten thus far Sep 2012.

#36 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

Has it occurred to you that you could have an allergy/intolerance to something else in the bread? I can not have dairy among other things. Even a small amount of dairy makes me very ill. Most bread does contain milk or butter. I also can not have rye. And my daughter can't have flax. Bread contains a lot of ingredients!

#37 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:33 PM

what about yeast?

#38 SandraLAVixen

SandraLAVixen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:50 PM

what about yeast?

How do I test for yeast?

I do know that the "fluffier" that bread, the more it hurts. Also, semolina/pasta (things made from durum wheat) really hurt.

So if gluten, rice flour, and whole wheat cereals do not hurt, how do I rule out the above?

#39 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

I had to stop eating several things before I finally realized I had to quit gluten. First was corn, as in tortillas, chips, etc. Next was pasta - just too much concentrated wheat. Then I started wondering about the wheat along with the corn in Mexican restaurants. But pizza was still my comfort food, so it couldn't be gluten, right??? I think it was just that I used to eat pizza with 'everything" on it, all that pepperoni, olives, mushrooms, sausage, not to mention the cheese and tomato, that helped the gluten to slide through. This is why we suggest you pare things down to single ingredients to test. What else do you eat with your cereal? Milk? fruit? Have you tried just eating dry cereal? And waiting to see what happens? Same with cake and cookies - so many more ingredients than just gluten.

This may or may not be true for you. Just throwing it out there. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#40 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

Pasta is pure water and wheat flour. O.O sometimes there are eggs but not always.

I agree with shroom, try to pair it down some. Say have a single bowl of cereal as a snack food (i do this with rice chex :)) and wait for about two hours before you try something else that day. Then test something again three days later (say this time cookies).

#41 SandraLAVixen

SandraLAVixen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

Thanks, I will try that, but where do I get raw gluten or yeast?

I also have more "data" (list of foods I tried and reactions), I posted it here:

Elimination Diet So Far, Is It Gluten Or Wheat?

Does it look like it's gluten? Some of it is contradictory, all the lab reports seem to show I am NOT being injured/damaged or "dying"?

#42 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,742 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:10 AM

Thanks, I will try that, but where do I get raw gluten or yeast?

I also have more "data" (list of foods I tried and reactions), I posted it here:

Elimination Diet So Far, Is It Gluten Or Wheat?

Does it look like it's gluten? Some of it is contradictory, all the lab reports seem to show I am NOT being injured/damaged or "dying"?

Have you tried to find an allergist who deals with food intolerances as well as true allergies? Mine saved my life since I show up false negative on celiac blood work. The allergist will start you out with 5 or 6 foods in pure form and then have you add in one food a week, in pure form, to see if you react. Although it is boring and time consuming it can help pinpoint reactions.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

#43 SandraLAVixen

SandraLAVixen

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

Have you tried to find an allergist who deals with food intolerances as well as true allergies? Mine saved my life since I show up false negative on celiac blood work. The allergist will start you out with 5 or 6 foods in pure form and then have you add in one food a week, in pure form, to see if you react. Although it is boring and time consuming it can help pinpoint reactions.

Well, I do have an allergist, but he gave me a skin test and bloodwork, which came back negative. But he says that if I eat bread it would kill me, "don't eat bread". <-- his diagnosis.

I'm just kind of thinking about trying pure gluten on my own to rule that out but not sure how to do that.

#44 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:47 PM

I used to feel that way about meat. I could eat all the fruits and veggies my stomach would hold, but unless I had meat, I still felt hungry, even though my stomach was full. After I went gluten-free I thought, "Hmm, it wasn't the lack of meat that gave me that hungry feeling, it must've been the bread!" Because even when I had a big dinner with meat and sweet potato and broccoli, I still felt hungry.

So yeah, I know what you mean. You can be full to bursting and yet still feel hungry.

But after I had been gluten-free for a while that feeling stopped. It was gluten withdrawal. Now I WILL admit that I eat more often now. Instead of three meals a day I eat six SMALL meals a day. I'll eat some yogurt (or ice cream) at 7AM, then at 10AM I'll have some gluten-free bread. Then at noon I eat a small portion of chicken with a small potato and a little broccoli. Around two or three I have some more yogurt. Then at five I do another small meat and potato meal. When I get home around 7:30 I will have a snack - some gluten-free crackers or some nuts, and usually some more ice cream. The secret is to keep the meals small and keep something in my stomach all day.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#45 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,742 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:11 AM

Well, I do have an allergist, but he gave me a skin test and bloodwork, which came back negative. But he says that if I eat bread it would kill me, "don't eat bread". <-- his diagnosis.

I'm just kind of thinking about trying pure gluten on my own to rule that out but not sure how to do that.

Go back to the doctor and ask him to clarify that statement for you. When my allergist prescribed elimination diet proved a severe reaction to wheat (I used Cream of Wheat to challenge) his response to whether I should keep eating it was "Heavens NO!" He then sent me to a GI to confirm celiac. That doctor demanded a challenge and it did almost kill me.
If a doctor has told you that eating bread might kill you I have to wonder why you want to keep challenging items in that food group.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: