Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Chinooks In Seattle

4 posts in this topic

We had a guest come to town - and wanted to take him to a classic Seattle restaurant. I'm newly diagnosed with celiac, so I explained to the server my dietary restrictions - and he came back with an already printed fairly extensive gluten free menu!

Ads by Google:

Awesome info. Thanks for passing that along!

Awesome info. Thanks for passing that along!

Good to see more Puget Sound options available!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• At the moment it's microwave rice packets as it needs to be something easy for lunch at work. What do you choose for breakfast? At the moment I have gluten-free porridge oats with fruits but also seeing oats are a bit of a gamble in the early days. Trying to figure out how long a reaction takes to show up i.e. if I feel ropey later in the day is it really lunch as I'm blaming at present or actually is it something from the morning or even night before? The food is the toughest bit for me right now; wasn't that great with it before so will need plenty ideas from you good people... seems I'm in the right place though   
    • I know what you're going through - it's that grieving process and it's tough.  I was diagnosed in 2013, and aside from an occasional pity party, I don't look back. I have my restaurants where I feel safe, I have the food I know I can eat, and I get on with my life.  I'm lucky that I live in a big city with lots of options, but you can make this work, and you will feel better and once you do, you'll stop grieving.  The people on this site helped enormously. It is tough in the beginning to know if you've been 'glutened' vs. just going through withdrawal.  For that reason alone, it's best to avoid restaurants for a little while and be careful at home - just to be sure what's happening.  Eventually you'll be able to get back to your version of 'normal'.  Oh, I also have hypothyroid/hashimoto's.  No big deal, I take synthroid. Quinoa, eggs, nuts and beans for protein.  You don't have to go crazy on the cooking.  Just eat a lot of whole foods.  There are a lot of complicated recipes out there, but now may not be the time.  Rice noodles in veggie bouillon - easy and cheap.  gluten-free pasta with olive oil, parmesan and garlic - easy.  I eat a lot of rice and have never had a problem - you're not getting it out of one of those bulk bins, are you?  That could be contaminated.  Go with packaged.  Do you have access to the Macro Vegetarian brand of prepared rice dishes (in the refrigerated section).  They have several that are gluten free, they're delicious heated and with a little gluten-free soy sauce.  They're my go to on days I don't want to cook. Good luck!  
    • I also think that the HPV/Gardasil vaccine triggered something in my body. I had some Celiac symptoms many years before this vaccine but I felt ok. I was physically very active. However, after I received the third dose as well, I began having more problems including a more persistant pain, overall body weakness, lack of concentration, hair loss, etc.
    • OK so been to the doctor, they've sped up my referral and I should get the appointment booking form in the post shortly. They've said stay off the gluten until I have a date for the appointment then in the weeks leading up to it go back on - thoughts? Did my bit of sport last night which was a great relief to be free of any illness-related thoughts for an hour or two; didn't think I'd have the energy at the start but soon got going and was OK so that's a plus I seem to be getting some strange symptoms at the moment that have only happened since trying to remove gluten, do these sound familiar to anyone? dry forehead, just starting to go red \ itchy in places. Treating with E45-type cream tender scalp and sides of head, almost like a pulling feeling and a bit sensitive to touch. Scared this one matches the symptoms of GCA, a particularly nasty autoimmune disease that can lead to blindness 
      Edit: having said that just found this thread and funny enough did wash my hair this morning...
      http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/50920-sores-on-scalp/ one eye watering and associated fuzzy vision at times, trying to reassure myself it isn't blurred vision due to the point above sometimes bit of a lump in throat sensation, seems to come and go Been reading that some people can't handle rice - I was OK with it whilst eating gluten but have been having it for lunch each day and seem to get worse around 4-5pm so could that be a culprit? How long after coming off gluten would I be able to say I'm at a baseline to know if feeling ill is down to "glutening" vs. blaming it on the body adjusting to the change in (lack of) gluten in food?
    • First of all, welcome to the forum! it's good to have you here. Secondly, I can really relate to the fatigue portion.  it really hadn't affected me until everything hit the ceiling medically for me.  I was constantly tired all the time, and waking feeling rested in the morning. Prone to depression and anxiety, definitely.  It drove me nuts for those first few weeks.  That's when I decided to try going off the gluten to see what happened.  I still dealt with the depression, anxiety at crazy levels, and inability to focus/concentrate, but it had gotten progressively better.  The anxiety got so bad I would have panic attacks in public areas which only ramped up the anxiety because people saw what was happening.  I would encourage you and your doctor to do a full Celiac panel before you decide to try the gluten free diet.  I had my blood work done after I was off gluten for about two months or so.  Thankfully, my levels were still high to register at least a gluten sensitivity.  Since going off gluten for almost a year now, things have started to finally appear "normal".  Whatever normal means for me now.  As I am healing from the 30 years of glutenizing, I combined both natural methods with the medical methods.  If you are interested in the different avenues of natural methods, I would be willing to share with you.  I will be praying for you as you go through this journey. Let me assure you, you are not alone in this journey.  Depending on family dynamics, they can be a great source of support.  This forum is also a great place to bounce thoughts or concerns off of.  Good luck.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    JVerg11