Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free Protein Supplement?

8 posts in this topic

Does anyone have suggestions for a gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free protein supplement? I would prefer a powder to add to smoothies (unflavored).

I've tried Jarrow rice and Plant fusion, but the former gets gooey and the latter has too much sugar/sugar replacement.

I've tried some small packets of the RAW protein powders, but a lot of them have wheat and barley grass in them, and they also have more sugars and sugar replacements than I'd like.

So... any suggestions?

Also, did anyone have a hard time with recovery at first? I used to do crazy interval training (a la Insanity) and might be sore the next day, but I could survive. Now if I do a short interval session it takes me days to recover. I'm about four months into gluten-free after a Celiac diagnosis. I was too tired before my diagnosis to work out much, so I know that's part of it.

Ads by Google:

Does anyone have suggestions for a gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free protein supplement? I would prefer a powder to add to smoothies (unflavored).

I've tried Jarrow rice and Plant fusion, but the former gets gooey and the latter has too much sugar/sugar replacement.

I've tried some small packets of the RAW protein powders, but a lot of them have wheat and barley grass in them, and they also have more sugars and sugar replacements than I'd like.

So... any suggestions?

Also, did anyone have a hard time with recovery at first? I used to do crazy interval training (a la Insanity) and might be sore the next day, but I could survive. Now if I do a short interval session it takes me days to recover. I'm about four months into gluten-free after a Celiac diagnosis. I was too tired before my diagnosis to work out much, so I know that's part of it.

I'm about 6 weeks in, and have no energy for even a walk in the evenings - I used to be hardcore into bootcamp and working out everyday...now I can hardly get my laundry done. Granted, I've been this way for longer than the 6 weeks since cutting out gluten - it's been this way all year. I completely feel your pain, so does my body! I wish I knew where all my energy and metabolism went.

Hope you find a good supplement, I have yet to find one either.

Trader Joe's makes an Organic Hemp Protein Powder - Ingredients: Organic Hemp Protein Powder, Organic Palm Sugar, Organic Vanilla Flavor. I have used it for a couple of years - high in fiber and Omega 3's. :)

Trader Joe's makes an Organic Hemp Protein Powder - Ingredients: Organic Hemp Protein Powder, Organic Palm Sugar, Organic Vanilla Flavor. I have used it for a couple of years - high in fiber and Omega 3's. :)

Oh, that's really good to know. We're supposed to get a Trader Joe's soon! The hemp protein powder that one of our local health food stores has has something in it I don't want - I don't remember what, though.

I'm excited about TJ's, but I hope they don't take too much business away from our local ones. I've read varying reviews about how gluten-free friendly they are.

I'm about 6 weeks in, and have no energy for even a walk in the evenings - I used to be hardcore into bootcamp and working out everyday...now I can hardly get my laundry done. Granted, I've been this way for longer than the 6 weeks since cutting out gluten - it's been this way all year. I completely feel your pain, so does my body! I wish I knew where all my energy and metabolism went.

Hope you find a good supplement, I have yet to find one either.

I do feel a little better now than I did several months ago, but I still pretty much just want to sleep. I need to cut back on the caffeine, I think (most days I just have a strong cup of black British tea first thing), and just let myself sleep a little later. I'm probably only getting an average of 7 hours a night, so I definitely need to work on that.

I'll try mushroom's suggestion of the Trader Joe's hemp protein once our store opens. In the meantime, I went back to Plant Fusion. It has some extra good things in it, like digestive enzymes, but it also has fructose and stevia (in the unflavored one!), neither of which I need in a smoothie. There are some raw ones that I'm tempted to try, but a lot of them have things like barley grass juice in them. I know the debate about whether things like that and wheat grass are safe is a pretty big one - and, as I understand it, the issue is whether the grass may contain seeds (the grass itself, I think, should be ok) that would allow gluten to get through the juicing process. What's frustrating is that they're labelled wheat and gluten free, so only careful reading of that complicated ingredient list identified that (I spend a lot of time in the supplements aisle when I shop!).

I've been able to get some short runs in on the weekends, and I'm going to start trying to do yoga most days, even if just for 15 minutes. I know it helps me mentally, and physically I do feel better even if I just do a little bit. Of course, I really want to be at the climbing gym and doing Insanity again, but just thinking about that makes me want to take a nap!!!

Look at the Vega brand. They are all dairy, gulten, and soy free. Most are no added sugar.

thanks, user853 - i tried some of their small packets, but unfortunately maybe some of the flavors i picked were bad, but the sweetness was overwhelming. maybe if i didn't mix them with fruit, but they must have an awful lot of stevia! one drink i couldn't even drink it was so sweet - i tried to freeze it, and eat like a frozen treat, but still too sweet. i'll look for some unflavored versions, maybe online (none available locally)!

I've used plain rice protein powder, hemp protein, pumpkin seed protein (my favorite), and veggie blend, and pea protein. They've all been fine in smoothies.