arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free Protein Supplement?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 archaeo in FL

archaeo in FL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:24 AM

Does anyone have suggestions for a gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free protein supplement? I would prefer a powder to add to smoothies (unflavored).

I've tried Jarrow rice and Plant fusion, but the former gets gooey and the latter has too much sugar/sugar replacement.

I've tried some small packets of the RAW protein powders, but a lot of them have wheat and barley grass in them, and they also have more sugars and sugar replacements than I'd like.

So... any suggestions?

Also, did anyone have a hard time with recovery at first? I used to do crazy interval training (a la Insanity) and might be sore the next day, but I could survive. Now if I do a short interval session it takes me days to recover. I'm about four months into gluten-free after a Celiac diagnosis. I was too tired before my diagnosis to work out much, so I know that's part of it.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

Does anyone have suggestions for a gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free protein supplement? I would prefer a powder to add to smoothies (unflavored).

I've tried Jarrow rice and Plant fusion, but the former gets gooey and the latter has too much sugar/sugar replacement.

I've tried some small packets of the RAW protein powders, but a lot of them have wheat and barley grass in them, and they also have more sugars and sugar replacements than I'd like.

So... any suggestions?

Also, did anyone have a hard time with recovery at first? I used to do crazy interval training (a la Insanity) and might be sore the next day, but I could survive. Now if I do a short interval session it takes me days to recover. I'm about four months into gluten-free after a Celiac diagnosis. I was too tired before my diagnosis to work out much, so I know that's part of it.

I'm about 6 weeks in, and have no energy for even a walk in the evenings - I used to be hardcore into bootcamp and working out everyday...now I can hardly get my laundry done. Granted, I've been this way for longer than the 6 weeks since cutting out gluten - it's been this way all year. I completely feel your pain, so does my body! I wish I knew where all my energy and metabolism went.

Hope you find a good supplement, I have yet to find one either.
lymphocytic colitis 8/1/12
diagnosed w/celiacs 8/14/12
gluten-free 8/14/12
dairy free, grain free, corn free 10/9/12

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:34 AM

Trader Joe's makes an Organic Hemp Protein Powder - Ingredients: Organic Hemp Protein Powder, Organic Palm Sugar, Organic Vanilla Flavor. I have used it for a couple of years - high in fiber and Omega 3's. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 archaeo in FL

archaeo in FL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

Trader Joe's makes an Organic Hemp Protein Powder - Ingredients: Organic Hemp Protein Powder, Organic Palm Sugar, Organic Vanilla Flavor. I have used it for a couple of years - high in fiber and Omega 3's. :)

Oh, that's really good to know. We're supposed to get a Trader Joe's soon! The hemp protein powder that one of our local health food stores has has something in it I don't want - I don't remember what, though.

I'm excited about TJ's, but I hope they don't take too much business away from our local ones. I've read varying reviews about how gluten-free friendly they are.

#5 archaeo in FL

archaeo in FL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:54 AM

I'm about 6 weeks in, and have no energy for even a walk in the evenings - I used to be hardcore into bootcamp and working out everyday...now I can hardly get my laundry done. Granted, I've been this way for longer than the 6 weeks since cutting out gluten - it's been this way all year. I completely feel your pain, so does my body! I wish I knew where all my energy and metabolism went.

Hope you find a good supplement, I have yet to find one either.

I do feel a little better now than I did several months ago, but I still pretty much just want to sleep. I need to cut back on the caffeine, I think (most days I just have a strong cup of black British tea first thing), and just let myself sleep a little later. I'm probably only getting an average of 7 hours a night, so I definitely need to work on that.

I'll try mushroom's suggestion of the Trader Joe's hemp protein once our store opens. In the meantime, I went back to Plant Fusion. It has some extra good things in it, like digestive enzymes, but it also has fructose and stevia (in the unflavored one!), neither of which I need in a smoothie. There are some raw ones that I'm tempted to try, but a lot of them have things like barley grass juice in them. I know the debate about whether things like that and wheat grass are safe is a pretty big one - and, as I understand it, the issue is whether the grass may contain seeds (the grass itself, I think, should be ok) that would allow gluten to get through the juicing process. What's frustrating is that they're labelled wheat and gluten free, so only careful reading of that complicated ingredient list identified that (I spend a lot of time in the supplements aisle when I shop!).

I've been able to get some short runs in on the weekends, and I'm going to start trying to do yoga most days, even if just for 15 minutes. I know it helps me mentally, and physically I do feel better even if I just do a little bit. Of course, I really want to be at the climbing gym and doing Insanity again, but just thinking about that makes me want to take a nap!!!

#6 user853

user853

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:49 AM

Look at the Vega brand. They are all dairy, gulten, and soy free. Most are no added sugar.

#7 archaeo in FL

archaeo in FL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

thanks, user853 - i tried some of their small packets, but unfortunately maybe some of the flavors i picked were bad, but the sweetness was overwhelming. maybe if i didn't mix them with fruit, but they must have an awful lot of stevia! one drink i couldn't even drink it was so sweet - i tried to freeze it, and eat like a frozen treat, but still too sweet. i'll look for some unflavored versions, maybe online (none available locally)!

#8 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

I've used plain rice protein powder, hemp protein, pumpkin seed protein (my favorite), and veggie blend, and pea protein. They've all been fine in smoothies.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: