2 replies to this topic

#1 jasonD2

jasonD2

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

My girlfriend is living there for a year and i am planning to visit her. so far i have done ok in foreign countries with eating and eating out (i.e. france, germany) but i am a bit worried about Singapore. any tips? when her and i travel together i try to not make a big deal out of the gluten thing..im careful but dont drive her and other people crazy, but i fear Singapore might be a problem and i dont wanna go there and starve to death. she loves eating out and i enjoy eating out with her so i dont want to ruin this trip
Endoscopy & blood panel all negative 12/09 after being strict w/ gluten free diet

As of 8/09 - Candida Overgrowth, C.difficile overgrowth, elevated fecal anti-gliadin, elevated putrefactive SCFA's

Developed severe lactose intolerance, IBS and food sensitivities in 02 after contracting Giardia from a river in Oregon

Had negative celiac blood work in 02

Elevated stool anti-gliadin Ab (21 with 10 being cutoff for normal) - 2008

Positive for DQ8- 2008

Tested high positive for egg, dairy, soy, ginger, mustard - 2008

Lactulose/Mannitol (leaky gut) test indicated slight intestinal permeability

Improved with gluten free diet but still have spastic constipation

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 BabsV

BabsV

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

I'd be careful in Singapore...my parents lived there for several yeasr (this was prior to my diagnosis) and 'stall food' was hugely popular but it almost always contained soy sauce (and I'm pretty sure it wasn't gluten-free soy sauce considering the vast amounts used!) I think you'll do better to stick to the nicer restaurants but you probably want to phone ahead to see if they can accomodate you...I haven't been back in several years so perhaps things have changed plus S'pore is a pretty cosmopolitan place so hopefully the basic knowledge is there...just don't assume.

#3 Inksng

Inksng

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

Hi. I just moved to Singapore in January (2013) and was recently diagnosed with gluten-intolerance. So far, I've found it tricky to eat out here at the local stalls (hawker centers). Everything has soy sauce in it and it's not gluten free. Other dishes such as Indian foods typically have deep fried dishes mixed in with the other stuff. I've had better success eating out in very high end places, but be prepared to spend a serious amount of money on your meal. Most of the time, I just cook at home. There are plenty of gluten-free products available from local supermarkets and organic stores. If you need some recommendations, let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: