#1 jebby

jebby

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

Hi all,
I was recently given a copy of the "Babycakes" cookbook which has recipes from the Babycakes Bakery in NYC. The photos of the cakes, cookies, etc. look wonderful but there are a lot of expensive ingredients which I am not used to using, such as evaporated cane sugar. I am wondering if anyone has baked from this book and if so, how the recipes turned out.
Thanks!
J

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jebby

jebby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Okay, if anyone ever searches and finds this thread, do NOT try to bake out this cookbook. The ingredients are difficult to find and expensive. My cookies and muffins were horrible.

#3 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:05 PM

I too have the book and have the ingredients on hand but the recipes are not all that wonderful; not bad, not great. I've had better.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

Did they include their frosting recipe? Too bad it didn't come out well. We have a Babycakes near us and their stuff is really good, but expensive. I would love to duplicate their frosting, but read online that the frosting they make in their bakery includes an ingredient that you can't find commercially.

#5 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:30 PM

I actually read that on their website. It has a Q&A and they talk about how their frosting has in ingredient made just for them. Lame.

I'm actually pretty disappointed to read this. I have been considering picking up the cookbook. I don't indulge in baking particularly often, but when I do I will go to nearly any length to get the ingredients I need. Cooking is cooking, whatever, I don't care. I cook to live. Baking is a passion, an art, a love. Not something I would make substitutions on, or use second best for.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#6 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

I actually read that on their website. It has a Q&A and they talk about how their frosting has in ingredient made just for them. Lame.

I'm actually pretty disappointed to read this. I have been considering picking up the cookbook. I don't indulge in baking particularly often, but when I do I will go to nearly any length to get the ingredients I need. Cooking is cooking, whatever, I don't care. I cook to live. Baking is a passion, an art, a love. Not something I would make substitutions on, or use second best for.

My copy was given to me as well. The recipes really are not that bad - just not worth making again in my opinion but I am a very, very particular baker. If you are like me (and I know you are) I would recommend other books instead. That is how I feel about cooking, too. I cannot settle and use the best ingredients I can get my hands on.

If you see the book, flip through it, but as you know really great cupcakes are easy to replicate, anyway, with better recipes out there. One of my favourites for baking (not breads, but desserts and such) is Blackbird Bakery Gluten Free. Another is Tartine Gourmande. LOVE that book. The tarts are just heavenly.

The Snickerdoodles from Babycakes are good but again, not worth getting the book for. I'd say this book is in the middle of good books - not the worst by any stretch but not the best, either. And as a book lover this book is too thin for my liking. I love huge tomes that weigh 8 lb.

ETA: There is nothing really unique in this book except for the doughnuts which are pretty good but not the really good yeasty puffy light yeasty doughnuts. When I buy books I look for unusual and interesting and new.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#7 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

Did they include their frosting recipe? Too bad it didn't come out well. We have a Babycakes near us and their stuff is really good, but expensive. I would love to duplicate their frosting, but read online that the frosting they make in their bakery includes an ingredient that you can't find commercially.

Buttercreams are very easy to make and extremely delicious. Tons of great recipes online. I wonder what that ingredient is??!!

#8 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Someone gave it to me when I was newly dx'd - pretty pictures but I was not impressed with the recipes I tried.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#9 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Someone gave it to me when I was newly dx'd - pretty pictures but I was not impressed with the recipes I tried.

Often recipes look as good or even better than the pictures but not so with this one. They are sorta meh. I wouldn't mind looking young and slender like the Babycakes girl! She's a cutie, that is for sure. Unless the pictures of her lie as the food pictures do... :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: