16 replies to this topic

#1 Roda

Roda

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

I went for a surgical consult today to get my gallbladder removed. The surgeon pretty much explained everything to me and I had ample time to ask questions. My last concern I mentioned to him was getting any oral medications(pain meds) in recovery or before I was discharged, that might have gluten in them. He was very understanding and said that it would have to be checked. He also said that if I knew of a certain drug that was gluten free that he would be willing to prescribe it. I'm not one to know much about pain meds. I don't even take over the counter meds unless I'm desperate. He went on to tell me that when it comes to individuals with allergies, celiac, etc that the patient usually knows more what is safe or not and that he welcomes suggestions and information.

It was really nice to have a doctor be concerned and understanding. He went on to tell me his wife is non celiac gluten intolerent also. I am planning on getting the most recent updated list from a site (glutenfreedrugs.com) and give it to him so he can prescribe whatever he sees fit.

So in a nut shell I was pretty pleased with my consult and am scheduled for Oct. 24th. Another interesting thing is that he performs the laproscopic procedure through just one incision in the umbilical region instead of the 3-4 incisions typically used. Less holes for me!! :lol: :P

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

Nice to hear about a good Dr experience.
Just one incision sounds about right. (Wondering what changed in procedure compared to multi-incision . ..better imaging maybe?)

Good luck on Oct 24, tho it appears you won't need it.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

He sounds like a great doctor.
You may want to ask him what he usually prescribes and call your pharmacey and get the maker if the drug. Then you can call the maker yourself to be sure. When I had my oral surgery the doctor gave me a prescription a week ahead so I could take it to the pharmacy and check it before it was filled. He said that way if they don't have a safe version he would have time to prescribe something different. I was able to get the makers phone number by just putting their name and the words 'contact infor' into a search engine.
Good luck with your surgery and I hope you heal quickly.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

Thanks everyone. I was nervous going in there. I believe he said he prescribes lortab or vicoden or something of the sort. I can call my local pharmacy to see what brands they carry. I really want to opt for the less mind numbing of the two. I've had lortab once after a car accident(sore neck from whiplash) but only took one dose that same night to help me sleep without pain. I never took anymore. I probably will be more "sore" from the surgery.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

#5 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

Honestly, if you can handle it, just go with plain tolenol or moltrin. They gave me tolenol with codien and on the second day i was throwing up something fierce.

Also, you will probably have a sore sholder because of the gas they blow ya up with for the surgery. Heating pads are wonderful for this and walking helps alot.

#6 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

Honestly, if you can handle it, just go with plain tolenol or moltrin. They gave me tolenol with codien and on the second day i was throwing up something fierce.

Also, you will probably have a sore sholder because of the gas they blow ya up with for the surgery. Heating pads are wonderful for this and walking helps alot.

I was thinking on those lines also, but just in case I need something stronger I want to get the RX. I may not need it, but would rather have it on hand if I do.

Me:

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):

#7 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:37 PM

I was thinking on those lines also, but just in case I need something stronger I want to get the RX. I may not need it, but would rather have it on hand if I do.

They do say that it is better to head off pain, rather than try to treat it once it takes hold. So don't be slow to start taking the pain relievers, tylenol or whatever. I tend to avoid the strong morphine-derived pain relievers because they make me vomit. I have taken Tramadol in the past.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

They do say that it is better to head off pain, rather than try to treat it once it takes hold. So don't be slow to start taking the pain relievers, tylenol or whatever. I tend to avoid the strong morphine-derived pain relievers because they make me vomit. I have taken Tramadol in the past.

I agree with that. When I feel a migraine coming on I try and take something off the bat to catch it before it gets full blown. It does make a big difference.

Me:

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):

#9 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:48 PM

Indeed. In my case, my family has a history with issues in the vicatin area of meds, so it was best to avoid them.

Though, heating pads do wonders...

#10 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

I had to have oral surgery a couple years ago and the surgeon prescribed Hydrocodone-APAP 5-500 the generic for Vicodin 5-500. It was made by Mallinkrt Pharm and at that time it was gluten safe. I had no problems with it but only needed it for the first two days after surgery. Doc prescribed 1 -2 every six hours but one was all I needed.
I agree you should not wait until the pain is severe before taking the pain meds.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#11 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:11 PM

Thanks everyone. I was nervous going in there. I believe he said he prescribes lortab or vicoden or something of the sort. I can call my local pharmacy to see what brands they carry. I really want to opt for the less mind numbing of the two. I've had lortab once after a car accident(sore neck from whiplash) but only took one dose that same night to help me sleep without pain. I never took anymore. I probably will be more "sore" from the surgery.

Roda....name brand Vicodin is gluten free. I have been using it for dental implant surgery and have had zero issues with it and I am very, very sensitive.
It works on pain well without making you too dopey. Actually, you won't get too dopey if used after surgery as all the active ingredient in it will be used to suppress pain.....it will bring you to normal, if that makes sense. You only usually get really dopey if you use it when you don't have pain.
It's easy on the stomach, too! Good luck and speedy recovery.

#12 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

Roda....name brand Vicodin is gluten free. I have been using it for dental implant surgery and have had zero issues with it and I am very, very sensitive.
It works on pain well without making you too dopey. Actually, you won't get too dopey if used after surgery as all the active ingredient in it will be used to suppress pain.....it will bring you to normal, if that makes sense. You only usually get really dopey if you use it when you don't have pain.
It's easy on the stomach, too! Good luck and speedy recovery.

Thanks, that's good to know. Until I looked it up I didn't realize that lortab and vicodin were the same thing.

I went today to fill out my FML papers. I wanted to give my work plenty of time for the paperwork trail and not have to worry. My supervisor doesn't want me back for 3 weeks post op then I will be temporarily moved to day shift until the rest of the restrictions are lifted(I was told no strenuous exercise or heavy lifting for 6 weeks). Unfortunately my job is pretty physical at times. I have to move patients a lot. At night there are limited staff in other areas and I am the only one staffed in my department also. Being back on day shift for a little bit will be a challenge in itself.. :lol:

Me:

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):

#13 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:35 AM

Thanks, that's good to know. Until I looked it up I didn't realize that lortab and vicodin were the same thing.

I went today to fill out my FML papers. I wanted to give my work plenty of time for the paperwork trail and not have to worry. My supervisor doesn't want me back for 3 weeks post op then I will be temporarily moved to day shift until the rest of the restrictions are lifted(I was told no strenuous exercise or heavy lifting for 6 weeks). Unfortunately my job is pretty physical at times. I have to move patients a lot. At night there are limited staff in other areas and I am the only one staffed in my department also. Being back on day shift for a little bit will be a challenge in itself.. :lol:

Like there isn't enough for you to be thinking about without having all this work related paperwork and planning to do! <_<

I worked night shift a long time ago and loved it. It was more in line with my body clock. I then got a fantastic job, which I am still at, but it was day shift. After 30 years, I still hate the day shift but love the job! I know what you mean. ;)

#14 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:51 AM

Well, just two more days to go. I'm sitting here having discomfort from it now and a migraine that I've had since yesterday afternoon. The migraine is what is bothering me the most and I can't take a darn thing for it. :(

Me:

DS2(age 9):

DS1(age 13):

#15 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

Well, just two more days to go. I'm sitting here having discomfort from it now and a migraine that I've had since yesterday afternoon. The migraine is what is bothering me the most and I can't take a darn thing for it. :(

I am sorry you are having a migraine, Roda! It probably is stress related and who can blame you for that. You will be fine afterwards but it is stressful before anyone has surgery....the mind is too active. Pretty soon the GB problems will be gone...one less thing to worry about. I will be thinking of you on the 24th and wish you a speedy recovery! Let us know how everything went when you are able. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: