This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dr. Visit..positive Experience

Roda

Roda Rising Star

I went for a surgical consult today to get my gallbladder removed. The surgeon pretty much explained everything to me and I had ample time to ask questions. My last concern I mentioned to him was getting any oral medications(pain meds) in recovery or before I was discharged, that might have gluten in them. He was very understanding and said that it would have to be checked. He also said that if I knew of a certain drug that was gluten free that he would be willing to prescribe it. I'm not one to know much about pain meds. I don't even take over the counter meds unless I'm desperate. He went on to tell me that when it comes to individuals with allergies, celiac, etc that the patient usually knows more what is safe or not and that he welcomes suggestions and information.

It was really nice to have a doctor be concerned and understanding. He went on to tell me his wife is non celiac gluten intolerent also. I am planning on getting the most recent updated list from a site (glutenfreedrugs.com) and give it to him so he can prescribe whatever he sees fit.

So in a nut shell I was pretty pleased with my consult and am scheduled for Oct. 24th. Another interesting thing is that he performs the laproscopic procedure through just one incision in the umbilical region instead of the 3-4 incisions typically used. Less holes for me!! :lol::P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tom Contributor

Nice to hear about a good Dr experience.

Just one incision sounds about right. (Wondering what changed in procedure compared to multi-incision . ..better imaging maybe?)

Good luck on Oct 24, tho it appears you won't need it.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

He sounds like a great doctor.

You may want to ask him what he usually prescribes and call your pharmacey and get the maker if the drug. Then you can call the maker yourself to be sure. When I had my oral surgery the doctor gave me a prescription a week ahead so I could take it to the pharmacy and check it before it was filled. He said that way if they don't have a safe version he would have time to prescribe something different. I was able to get the makers phone number by just putting their name and the words 'contact infor' into a search engine.

Good luck with your surgery and I hope you heal quickly.

Roda Rising Star

Thanks everyone. I was nervous going in there. I believe he said he prescribes lortab or vicoden or something of the sort. I can call my local pharmacy to see what brands they carry. I really want to opt for the less mind numbing of the two. I've had lortab once after a car accident(sore neck from whiplash) but only took one dose that same night to help me sleep without pain. I never took anymore. I probably will be more "sore" from the surgery.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Honestly, if you can handle it, just go with plain tolenol or moltrin. They gave me tolenol with codien and on the second day i was throwing up something fierce.

Also, you will probably have a sore sholder because of the gas they blow ya up with for the surgery. Heating pads are wonderful for this and walking helps alot.

Roda Rising Star

Honestly, if you can handle it, just go with plain tolenol or moltrin. They gave me tolenol with codien and on the second day i was throwing up something fierce.

Also, you will probably have a sore sholder because of the gas they blow ya up with for the surgery. Heating pads are wonderful for this and walking helps alot.

I was thinking on those lines also, but just in case I need something stronger I want to get the RX. I may not need it, but would rather have it on hand if I do.

mushroom Proficient

I was thinking on those lines also, but just in case I need something stronger I want to get the RX. I may not need it, but would rather have it on hand if I do.

They do say that it is better to head off pain, rather than try to treat it once it takes hold. So don't be slow to start taking the pain relievers, tylenol or whatever. I tend to avoid the strong morphine-derived pain relievers because they make me vomit. I have taken Tramadol in the past.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

They do say that it is better to head off pain, rather than try to treat it once it takes hold. So don't be slow to start taking the pain relievers, tylenol or whatever. I tend to avoid the strong morphine-derived pain relievers because they make me vomit. I have taken Tramadol in the past.

I agree with that. When I feel a migraine coming on I try and take something off the bat to catch it before it gets full blown. It does make a big difference.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Indeed. In my case, my family has a history with issues in the vicatin area of meds, so it was best to avoid them.

Though, heating pads do wonders...

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I had to have oral surgery a couple years ago and the surgeon prescribed Hydrocodone-APAP 5-500 the generic for Vicodin 5-500. It was made by Mallinkrt Pharm and at that time it was gluten safe. I had no problems with it but only needed it for the first two days after surgery. Doc prescribed 1 -2 every six hours but one was all I needed.

I agree you should not wait until the pain is severe before taking the pain meds.

Gemini Experienced

Thanks everyone. I was nervous going in there. I believe he said he prescribes lortab or vicoden or something of the sort. I can call my local pharmacy to see what brands they carry. I really want to opt for the less mind numbing of the two. I've had lortab once after a car accident(sore neck from whiplash) but only took one dose that same night to help me sleep without pain. I never took anymore. I probably will be more "sore" from the surgery.

Roda....name brand Vicodin is gluten free. I have been using it for dental implant surgery and have had zero issues with it and I am very, very sensitive.

It works on pain well without making you too dopey. Actually, you won't get too dopey if used after surgery as all the active ingredient in it will be used to suppress pain.....it will bring you to normal, if that makes sense. You only usually get really dopey if you use it when you don't have pain.

It's easy on the stomach, too! Good luck and speedy recovery.

Roda Rising Star

Roda....name brand Vicodin is gluten free. I have been using it for dental implant surgery and have had zero issues with it and I am very, very sensitive.

It works on pain well without making you too dopey. Actually, you won't get too dopey if used after surgery as all the active ingredient in it will be used to suppress pain.....it will bring you to normal, if that makes sense. You only usually get really dopey if you use it when you don't have pain.

It's easy on the stomach, too! Good luck and speedy recovery.

Thanks, that's good to know. Until I looked it up I didn't realize that lortab and vicodin were the same thing.

I went today to fill out my FML papers. I wanted to give my work plenty of time for the paperwork trail and not have to worry. My supervisor doesn't want me back for 3 weeks post op then I will be temporarily moved to day shift until the rest of the restrictions are lifted(I was told no strenuous exercise or heavy lifting for 6 weeks). Unfortunately my job is pretty physical at times. I have to move patients a lot. At night there are limited staff in other areas and I am the only one staffed in my department also. Being back on day shift for a little bit will be a challenge in itself.. :lol:

Gemini Experienced

Thanks, that's good to know. Until I looked it up I didn't realize that lortab and vicodin were the same thing.

I went today to fill out my FML papers. I wanted to give my work plenty of time for the paperwork trail and not have to worry. My supervisor doesn't want me back for 3 weeks post op then I will be temporarily moved to day shift until the rest of the restrictions are lifted(I was told no strenuous exercise or heavy lifting for 6 weeks). Unfortunately my job is pretty physical at times. I have to move patients a lot. At night there are limited staff in other areas and I am the only one staffed in my department also. Being back on day shift for a little bit will be a challenge in itself.. :lol:

Like there isn't enough for you to be thinking about without having all this work related paperwork and planning to do! <_<

I worked night shift a long time ago and loved it. It was more in line with my body clock. I then got a fantastic job, which I am still at, but it was day shift. After 30 years, I still hate the day shift but love the job! I know what you mean. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Roda Rising Star

Well, just two more days to go. I'm sitting here having discomfort from it now and a migraine that I've had since yesterday afternoon. The migraine is what is bothering me the most and I can't take a darn thing for it. :(

Gemini Experienced

Well, just two more days to go. I'm sitting here having discomfort from it now and a migraine that I've had since yesterday afternoon. The migraine is what is bothering me the most and I can't take a darn thing for it. :(

I am sorry you are having a migraine, Roda! It probably is stress related and who can blame you for that. You will be fine afterwards but it is stressful before anyone has surgery....the mind is too active. Pretty soon the GB problems will be gone...one less thing to worry about. I will be thinking of you on the 24th and wish you a speedy recovery! Let us know how everything went when you are able. :)

Roda Rising Star

I am sorry you are having a migraine, Roda! It probably is stress related and who can blame you for that. You will be fine afterwards but it is stressful before anyone has surgery....the mind is too active. Pretty soon the GB problems will be gone...one less thing to worry about. I will be thinking of you on the 24th and wish you a speedy recovery! Let us know how everything went when you are able. :)

Thanks Gemini for the nice thoughts. I have to be in the same day surgery center at 7:40 tomorrow morning. I still have the migraine lingering but it's a lot better now. My mom is going with me in the morning along with my husband. My dad is in charge of getting the kids up and off to school. That should be interesting. He asked my youngest son if he could get his own breakfast. DS looked at him kinda funny, then my dad told him, "I hope so because I can't." He was dead serious. Good thing there are fruity pebbles in the pantry and yogurt in the fridge! :o:lol:

Roda Rising Star

Had my surgery on Wednesday. The surgery itself went well. I remember waking up in recovery and was in quite a bit of pain. They gave me IV morphine. Next I remember sitting up and them giving me some pills to swallow. After that I became very nauseated, sweating profusly and really not feeling well. Then I hear the nurse say lay her down because my blood pressure had dropped really low. I think it was 85/31 at it's lowest. They had to keep me in recovery until my BP went back up. From what everyone tells me they think I had a vasal vagal reaction to the morphine. It wasn't pleasant. Everyone was great and my nurse didn't leave my bedside until everything was stable. I finaly got discharged from the SDS center around 5:00 pm. Was still pretty nauseated when I got home. I did manage to get sick and after my stomach was empty I felt better.

Yesterday I started really feeling the pain but mostly at the incision. I've also been taking it easy on the food, sticking mostly to clear liquids and jello. I was able to help my mom make some quail soup last night in the pressure cooker. OMG did it taste good. That bone broth is just what I needed.

Today I think will be a little bit better. Still some discomfort at my incision, but now it's the gas pain that is bothersome. Thank goodness for gas X.

Over all I'm pleased with my treatment. The staff was really great and really paid attention to detail. They double checked all meds for me when I checked in and even had someone come from pharmacy to talk to me.

Archived