#1 Sprinkle

Sprinkle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:35 AM

Hello,

First time poster. I just wanted some advice, if any exists, on the symptoms I'm having.

My medical/diet story:

At age 12, I was put on an anti-depressant Paxil. Then Celexa.
At age 18, I stopped eating mammals and birds.
At age 19, I decided I wanted to be a really healthy human being and I quit "my" anti-depressants (cold turkey).

After this time, however, my diet remained heavily reliant on typical American fare: genetically modified monocrop agribusiness wheat, vegetables and fruits - both in fast food and at the supermarket - agribusiness milk poured onto agribusiness sugar-bombs like "Lucky Charms" and other horrible fare. From teenager onward, I also began noticing my bathroom habits were different from others. My stool was weird, constipation sporadic, and a very itchy and dry skin under me (the bicycle seat area of me, to put it pleasantly).

This culminated in late 2008 with new - stronger - symptoms, after I ate a few Little Caesar's pizzas too many in California. The location and year may be important, but I am just speculating because late 2008 saw an aggressive rise of cheapening food due to the beginnings of an economic deterioration in the USA, and perhaps the wheat source used in pizza companies - while already awful - may have worsened at this time? Perhaps they started buying more GMO wheat?

In any case, the reactions I started having to all wheat products were:

Headaches,
Irritability,
Sensitivity to bright lights,
Pain behind the eyes and around the eyes, and from movement of the eyes,
Tiredness,
Aches,
A constant sore throat,
Stuffiness,
Restlessness,
Inability to sleep,
Loose stool,
Shakes,
Nervousness,
Clouded thinking,
Distractedness,
Weakness,
Malnutrition,
Extremely heightened lactose intolerance (never had before),
Heightened intolerance to eggs (never had before either)

and a number of other problems connected to this.

I couldn't trace the source and I became very scared of eating even vegetables because nobody could tell me what was wrong; and indeed many told me nothing was wrong and it was all in my head. Some suggested I should just eat meat and the problems would all go away. It wasn't until mid 2009 that my mom told me she never eats much bread because it gives her migraines and causes her whole digestive system to get messed up. Thanks mom! So I stopped eating wheat and related breads and after two weeks, my symptoms faded away and I was humbled by this simple but elegant solution to almost all my problems, except the dry skin.

---

Now, almost 4 years later, I am gluten-free, I am baking gluten-free cookies, cakes, pizzas, and breads and enjoying it a lot. I still have the extremely dry patch of skin, but that might be from sitting too much for my job, being at home or bicycling?

Now here is the mysterious "twist".

I don't get a bad reaction to many grains like some who have wheat sensitivity, BUT when I eat anything with "glutinous rice" in it, I get the same thing that I get when I eat a wheat cupcake:

First, my stomach feels "strange" (not bad, but strange)
Second, within seconds, my head becomes foggy, my throat closes up a bit, my eyes become sluggish and my sinuses clear out as if I just shot medicine up my nose (I thought this was a good thing at first, until I learned to associate it with this reaction)
Thirdly, nausea sets in and my breathing must be more forced for me to take deep breaths
Fourth, a headache and abdominal sensitivity
Fifth, general tiredness, aches in the face and a gradual reduction of symptoms over the following several hours

---

I am not sure if this sounds like anything anyone else has, but it's literally the same reaction I have every time. It's like an allergy. Rice is fine, sticky rice is even fine, but this "glutinous rice" product and the multiple Asian delights made of it all give me this same reaction. It is exactly equivalent to a reaction to eating bread for me. What is going on?

An old man I know has a very similar issue and he learned he had some bowel or intestine damage from a long time ago that - once cleared and operated on a bit - allowed him to even begin eating wheat again.

Any help/advice/anecdotes would be appreciated.
Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:29 AM

Welcome to the forum, Sprinkle!

For clarification glutinous rice and glutinous rice flour are allowed on a gluten-free diet. It's just another name for sweet rice.

Here's a link for Safe Foods you might like to check out.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:08 AM

Hello,

. Rice is fine, sticky rice is even fine, but this "glutinous rice" product and the multiple Asian delights made of it all give me this same reaction. It is exactly equivalent to a reaction to eating bread for me. What is going on?

Could it be something in these "multiple Asian delights"? Who is making them? Are you sure there isn't soy sauce or cc?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:40 AM

Fruthermore, if you are having that sort of reaction, it seems to be more of an allergic one. Do be very careful with those.

#5 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

Is the glutinous rice flour from Asia? I would suspect yes. I had been buying rice flour at a local Asian market, the stuff I got is from Thailand. It's possible that there is cc of some sort, and I did feel like I was getting glutened. I still have some of it I'm going to test again in a month or so. You didn't mention if these items were specifically items you baked? Or did you get them at an Asian bakery or something? If at a bakery, you'd want to confirm every ingredient they use is o.k.

However, as Sylvia mentioned, glutinous rice is basically another name for sticky rice, it's not the same as the gluten protein found in wheat, etc.
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#6 Sprinkle

Sprinkle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

Hmm. Well, I know it's *supposed* to be okay, but allow me to question whether it actually is for the purposes of my health! This is what I said:

I don't get a bad reaction to many grains like some who have wheat sensitivity, BUT when I eat anything with "glutinous rice" in it, I get the same thing that I get when I eat a wheat cupcake

I mean it. Anything. Whether it's the glutinous rice powder baked into something at a street vendor or whether it's bought at a store where I can individually look up every ingredient. Unless I'm allergic to Mugwort or Sesame (which I doubt, as I can have those in plentiful doses), the problem really does stem from this ingredient called glutinous rice.

If you're suggesting I need to investigate whether allergen foods like Barley, Rye, Wheat, Spelt, etc. are somehow getting mixed into the glutinous rice via the manufacturing method, I think I am out of luck. The Chinese and Korean manufacturers seem to keep that kind of thing guarded. And there is no "gluten free" certification label boasted on any product here that I can find.

Has nobody had a reaction like this to glutinous rice products made in East Asia? It is either the manufacturing method or something else is fishy about this ingredient for me.

#7 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

A few thoughts:

1. Just because something " disagrees" with you, it does not mean it is a Celiac Gluten reaction.
2. Are these foods made with the rice, also made with soy sauce? Are the street vendors using soy sauce or other gluten foods in thier carts that may have cc'd the food?
3. For some reason, it makes you sick. So, don't eat it.
4. Perhaps you could research what the difference in "glutinous" and regular rice is. Maybe something in the processing bothers you?

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#8 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,048 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:40 PM

Regarding Glutinous Rice: in this context, glutinous means sticky (which is usually tied to sweet). Unless a foreign substance is added to it, rice is always inherently gluten-free.

The human body is a very poor test for gluten, since there are so many other reasons why you might feel off after eating something.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#9 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

when I eat anything with "glutinous rice" in it, I get the same thing that I get when I eat a wheat cupcake:

Rice is fine, sticky rice is even fine, but this "glutinous rice" product and the multiple Asian delights made of it all give me this same reaction.

As Sylvia said, sticky rice, sweet rice, and glutinous rice are all the same thing.

http://www.foodsubs.com/Rice.html
http://en.wikipedia..../Glutinous_rice
http://dohn121.hubpa...-to-sticky-rice
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#10 Sprinkle

Sprinkle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:56 PM

As Sylvia said, sticky rice, sweet rice, and glutinous rice are all the same thing.

I seem to be failing to communicate with some of you. Let me try to be more clear. I understand that glutinous rice is supposed to be the same thing as sticky rice. What I'm saying is that some products with an ingredient called "glutinous rice" are giving me an allergic reaction identical to my allergic reaction to wheat. (The foods' common variable in the known ingredients.)

I cannot know if this substance is touching wheat products, but so far many seem to be suggesting that it must be the case. I understand that nobody knows, but the reason I joined this forum was to ask if:

a. anybody knows.
and
b. anybody has had similar symptoms to either wheat or anything else.

I really appreciate your collective diligence in checking my sanity; yes, I know glutinous rice is supposed to be the same thing as sticky rice. Yes, I also know glutinous rice does not contain gluten. Yes, I know if it gives me a reaction I should stop eating it. I am here for information I don't know. I'm telling you, either:

a. The ingredient "Glutinous rice" is not, in fact, merely glutinous rice.
and/or
b. There is a lurking variable that someone with experience recognizes in my story. i.e.; vegetarianism? anti-depressants? some link I haven't uncovered?

---

So, to conclude, let me rephrase my questions:

1. Has anybody had this list of symptoms for any food - and what food, if any?

First, my stomach feels "strange" (not bad, but strange)
Second, within seconds, my head becomes foggy, my throat closes up a bit, my eyes become sluggish and my sinuses clear out as if I just shot medicine up my nose (I thought this was a good thing at first, until I learned to associate it with this reaction)
Thirdly, nausea sets in and my breathing must be more forced for me to take deep breaths
Fourth, a headache and abdominal sensitivity
Fifth, general tiredness, aches in the face and a gradual reduction of symptoms over the following several hours

For me, I get this reaction to wheat, spelt, barley, rye, malt and processed products with an ingredient called "glutinous rice"

2. Has anyone had - or heard of - a solution to these symptoms?

---

Thanks for letting me try to clarify. Please let me know if anything I've written still doesn't make sense, or if I still haven't passed your "common sense" check.

#11 Sprinkle

Sprinkle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:02 PM

1. Just because something "disagrees" with you, it does not mean it is a Celiac Gluten reaction.
2. Are these foods made with the rice, also made with soy sauce? Are the street vendors using soy sauce or other gluten foods in thier carts that may have cc'd the food?
3. For some reason, it makes you sick. So, don't eat it.
4. Perhaps you could research what the difference in "glutinous" and regular rice is. Maybe something in the processing bothers you?

1. Thank you. Very good point. Anything you heard of that sounds like my particular brand of "disagreement"?
2. Some of them indeed use Soy Sauce; however, I've seen their foods made and they are proud of their ability to not mix in unnecessary aromas or flavors. Soy sauce (which contains wheat) often does not find its way anywhere near their clean, rice-based cooking utensils and pans.
3. I am definitely not going to eat it anymore! I am still feeling the effects from yesterday's "test".
4. I think you may be onto something about the way "glutinous rice" is processed. That's what I'm getting at, and if it's true, I would like to research it on this forum in order to help benefit others who may have a similar issue.

I hope that someone can answer my 2 reformulated questions in my previous post. :)

#12 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:26 AM

I have never had this reaction to glutinous rice and have never heard of others having it.

The fact that the people who have replied have not told you that they also react to glutinous rice tells you that they have not. If they had reacted like you have, believe me, they would have told you. And if they had heard of others reacting they would have told you.

richard

#13 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:32 AM

1. Thank you. Very good point. Anything you heard of that sounds like my particular brand of "disagreement"?
2. Some of them indeed use Soy Sauce; however, I've seen their foods made and they are proud of their ability to not mix in unnecessary aromas or flavors. Soy sauce (which contains wheat) often does not find its way anywhere near their clean, rice-based cooking utensils and pans.

Anyone can have anything not agree with them. There is no mutual safe food that everyone can eat without issue. I"m willing to bet however, there is something in common with the products you have eaten.

That doesn't mean that it wasn't CC'd or what have you beforehand.

#14 Sprinkle

Sprinkle

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:21 AM

Well, thanks for your responses.

It doesn't really help. I've just been told what I already know. But I appreciate your responses at all. Thanks, and take care everyone!

#15 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:38 AM

Like shadowicewolf said, the throat closing up symptom sounds more like an allergy than an intolerance, like an anaphylactic reaction.

Glutinous rice and sticky rice are the same thing, and are a separate subspecies of rice. But sometimes other rice dishes are called "sticky" because of the way they're made, but they don't use the same subspecies of rice as true sticky rice. This might be why you've been able to eat some sticky rice without a reaction.

It would be really unusual to be allergic to just one subspecies of rice, but you never know. You might want to avoid all rice for now, and get tested for a rice allergy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: