#1 my3monkees

my3monkees

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has ever experienced urinary tract issues and Celiac. I have never been diagnosed with Celiac. But my mother and 2 of my children have. My mother has also been a type 1 diabetic for 58 yr. Also suspect that dd may have Raynauds Syndrome. So obviously family history of autoimmune issues.

I have no classic Celiac symptoms, other than frequent gas.
But what I do have is unexplained urinary issues. I have had microscopic blood in my urine for several years now. Also the last couple of cytology test have had "atypical cells". I have been assured its not cancer. I have had my kidneys and bladder scoped and scanned. Nothing has been found to cause this. I have to go for another bladder scope in a few weeks. I have been told that the atypical cells can be caused by infection or inflammation. I am just curious if this could be caused by Celiacs. I hate not having and answer. I realize the 2 being related are quite a long shot. But with the family history I figured it was worth asking the question. Thanks!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

I had terrible bladder pain, spasms, frequency and was tested frequently for UTIs for several years before DX. One time, it was an infection but otherwise, the urogynecologist I saw was stumped.
It was awful and to this day, if I am glutened, I get the pain and urgency back. ugh.

Like you, my friend E and my Mom do not have terrible gastro symptoms from gluten, but suffer bladder pain and have to make several trips to the bathroom. Even then, not much came out. My friend has had blood in her urine as well.

So, IMHO yes, urinary tract issues are related to gluten.
You are obviously very knowledgable about celiac disease since you are raising two kids with it, so I will spare you the genetics lesson :lol: , but I am wondering... you have been tested right?

others have reported this issue, too:

http://www.celiac.co...h-bladder-pain/

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#3 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

Indeed there is a relationship. Read here:

http://wellbladder.c...ten_sensitivity

I come from a family of celiacs and UTI sufferers. My mother, both sisters, me. It is no coincidence. In fact, mine has progressed to the point where it is methycillin resistant and therefore always present, just waiting for a chance to become a nuisance.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 a1956chill

a1956chill

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

Yep <_<

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#5 my3monkees

my3monkees

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

I had terrible bladder pain, spasms, frequency and was tested frequently for UTIs for several years before DX. One time, it was an infection but otherwise, the urogynecologist I saw was stumped.
It was awful and to this day, if I am glutened, I get the pain and urgency back. ugh.

Like you, my friend E and my Mom do not have terrible gastro symptoms from gluten, but suffer bladder pain and have to make several trips to the bathroom. Even then, not much came out. My friend has had blood in her urine as well.

So, IMHO yes, urinary tract issues are related to gluten.
You are obviously very knowledgable about celiac disease since you are raising two kids with it, so I will spare you the genetics lesson :lol: , but I am wondering... you have been tested right?

others have reported this issue, too:

http://www.celiac.co...h-bladder-pain/

Nope, I have never been tested! I have asked, but been told without gastro symptoms, forget it! I don't have diarrhea, I'm not thin, I'm as far from thin as you can get! LOL So of course I don't have it, despite family history. I should try and find a new GP, but in this area, they all seem to be the same. Not the most progressive, forward thinking part of the country! LOL

#6 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

Look up the symptoms of celiac disease (and this is just some of them) here: http://www.celiac.co...toms/Page1.html, print them out and take them to your doctor. He needs some education. :unsure:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

Nope, I have never been tested! I have asked, but been told without gastro symptoms, forget it! I don't have diarrhea, I'm not thin, I'm as far from thin as you can get! LOL So of course I don't have it, despite family history. I should try and find a new GP, but in this area, they all seem to be the same. Not the most progressive, forward thinking part of the country! LOL

This is hogwash...that's the same thinking that kept me from being Dxed. (I was once overweight) and if you have a MOTHER and CHILDREN with celiac disease, you should have been screened right away!

I was "far from thin" as you say-- and then plummeted 90 lbs. and almost died.

I agree with Shroom---print off the info ---and I suggest you demand a celiac panel right away.

Many celiacs do not have overt gastro symptoms ---but other symptoms that are clues.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#8 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:56 PM

I have traced blood in urine for 30+ years. I also had issues with urgency and frequent urination. Almost 6 months ago I went gluten free. I have not been checked yet to see if it has gone away. To be continued. There are other strings on this subject.

#9 smpalesh

smpalesh

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

Have any of you with bladder issues been tested for interstitial cystitis? I was diagnosed with it after multiple tests when I was 17 years old (apparently this is quite young for an IC diagnosis). My symptoms were urgency, pain, inability to fully empty bladder, among others. I have been on medication since then and it controls these symptoms except for occasional flares. I am not diagnosed with celiac (yet, I hope) so I don't know if there is a connection at all.

#10 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

Urgency and feeling like i'm going to wet myself were to things pre dx that disturbed the heck out of me. It was never a UTI either.

#11 ndw3363

ndw3363

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:58 AM

Have any of you with bladder issues been tested for interstitial cystitis? I was diagnosed with it after multiple tests when I was 17 years old (apparently this is quite young for an IC diagnosis). My symptoms were urgency, pain, inability to fully empty bladder, among others. I have been on medication since then and it controls these symptoms except for occasional flares. I am not diagnosed with celiac (yet, I hope) so I don't know if there is a connection at all.

I was misdiagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis as well. It's what started this whole mess...thought I had a UTI - was put on two rounds of strong antibiotics which of course only made everything worse (Dr. said "I don't see evidence of an infection, but here take these...really???). After that was when I got the diagnosis. Read up about it and certain things never seemed to fit with how I was feeling. Refused the medication that is normally prescribed because of the harsh side effects. Took full strength Aloe which did wonders (found the recommendation on the IC website). Long story short, bc of many other symptoms, I finally hit on celiac and gluten-free. Bc of my trust issues with doctors, I decided to try gluten-free on my own. My bladder symptoms resolved along with a few others. After that, tried to get formal diagnosis, but had been gluten-free for too long. Tried the gluten challenge, but could only handle two weeks before I was so miserable that it wasn't worth it. Only time I have bladder issues now is if I get glutened or if I have too much sugar/carbs which sends my candida out of control (ate two gluten-free cupcakes last night...today I'm miserable). I do realize that IC is a real thing that many actually DO have. I'm just also saying that since there is no definitive test for it, sometimes they will give you that diagnosis when they can't figure out why you have pain with no infection.

#12 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

My daughter was diagnosed Celiac at 17 months old. She has had all IC symptoms and numerous UTIs. The doctors are just stumped and they have tried different tests. They now say it is caused by her constant constipation. (The back up in the colon causes sensation of pressure, and the bladder is not fully emptied. The symptoms present when there is not an "infection", or lead to an infection.
Michigan

#13 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:42 AM

Not a long shot at all. my interstitial cystitis is mostly in remission on a Gluten-free Casein-free diet. My 9 yr old son also had major bladder spasms and pain with no dx- once he was dx celiac and went gluten-free, urinary issues resolved. My celiac daughter had spasms and bedwetting until going Gluten-free Casein-free as well.

#14 my3monkees

my3monkees

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for the reply's.
I am going to go for the scope tomorrow. I had it 2 years ago and it was fine.
I forgot to mention that before taking my son off gluten, he was running to the bathroom to pee constantly.
I just have such vague issues, microscopic blood and the atypical cells. But no discomfort or burning, unless I drink to much coffee. Or maybe I just haven't gotten to that point yet??
I will see what they say tomorrow. But in the meantime, I have taken myself off gluten. I figure it can't hurt, and it just might help.
Thanks!

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

Thanks for the reply's.
I am going to go for the scope tomorrow. I had it 2 years ago and it was fine.
I forgot to mention that before taking my son off gluten, he was running to the bathroom to pee constantly.
I just have such vague issues, microscopic blood and the atypical cells. But no discomfort or burning, unless I drink to much coffee. Or maybe I just haven't gotten to that point yet??
I will see what they say tomorrow. But in the meantime, I have taken myself off gluten. I figure it can't hurt, and it just might help.
Thanks!

IMHO, if you are looking to be tested, you should stay on gluten until the testing is done.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: