Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Cruising with Celiac Disease: What to Know Before You Go - Peter Greenberg.com Travel News

1 post in this topic

Cruising with Celiac Disease: What to Know Before You Go

Peter Greenberg.com Travel News

One out of every 141 people in the U.S. suffers from Celiac Disease, a genetic disorder that requires a gluten free diet. And for those afflicted, cruise travel is one of the greatest challenges. With endless buffets and sometimes questionable ...

Stop Celiac Disease With Earlier Glutens? Science 2.0 (blog)

Gluten-Free Marketing is Catching on in the Food Industry Celiac.com

Expo for gluten free products Superior Telegram

Patch.com  - PR Web (press release)

all 10 news articles »

View the full article

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Japan (Tokyo And Kyoto) Gluten Free
      i would  tend to agree with your mom and that comes from more than  30 years in and out of Japan. the  quality of the produce, meat and fish tends to be much better than the US  becsaue it gets to market  much faster and becasue there is a demand  for quality  above the demand for low price.  As it was pointed out, this  has  nothing to do with gluten.    There  are  alot of things you can  eat  in just about any restaurant  but there are things to learn like onigiri -- rice balls,  are seemingly innocent  but  90% of htem contain wheat starch.  most larger  grocery stores and  department store basements  you can  get  gluten free soy sauce. ---  most  chefs still assume that  soy sauce is soy  so never  take anyones  word for it when it comes to soy sauce. Of al the mixed  salads at  family mart, 7-11 and lawsons  only the gobo salad was  safe. good luck    
    • Gluten free backing food
      We are prepared for earthquakes at home, in our car and at work.  That means keeping tins of sardines, gluten-free cereal bars,  SPAM, nuts, chicken, fish, rice, etc. in our earthquake kits.  I have to go through it every three to four months to rotate out some of the foods (e.g. cereal bars).  I mark it in our planner.  It works for us.  Tasty?  Appetizing?  I bet my kid will be thankful to have food to eat in the event of an emergency.  
    • Blood sugar, hunger, celiac
      How much fat are you consuming?  Going lower carb and not adding in fats can make you hungry.   So, do you know that Type 1 diabetes is strongly linked to celiac disease?    I would ask your doctor for a GAD antibodies test to rule out type 1.   https://celiac.org/celiac-disease/celiac disease-and-diabetes/ http://www.celiac.nih.gov/CDandDiabetes.aspx   I basically eat to my meter and that translates to a Low Carb High Fat diet.  Keeps my doctor happy with my lab results! 
    • Lower left abdominal, left pelvic & other random pains
      VERY good point cyclinglady, very good point!!!!
    • Even gluten-free Foods Triggering Reaction After Initial Glutening?
      I was glutened in July.  Badly.  I have NO clue as to what got me.  I suspect two things 1) a gluten free store- brand, product that might have been mis-labeled and 2) a prescription generic medication (contacted the manufacturer to confirm a gluten-free status but got the old liability statement of no guarantees).  Both items were NEVER consumed by my gluten free hubby who acts as my canary.     I probably got glutened again by eating out while on vacation even though I only at at restaurants recommended by other celiacs.  The rest of the time I was at my parent's house and I have a dedicated kitchen there for us.   Who knows?  But I was sick with anxiety, tummy issues, vomiting, the works.  It was strange since anemia was my original symptom and I really did not have tummy issues at the time of my diagnosis.  So, celiac symptoms can evolve at least for me!  Six weeks after my first sign of a glutening, I was tested by my new GI because I was not getting well.  He thought I had SIBO or bile duct issues. I asked for celiac blood testing.    Turns out it was gluten all along!   During my glutening, I became lactose intolerant again, could only eat stewed foods because everything hurt to get through my digestive tract.   I was a basket case for three months.    Did I mention new problems resulting from my glutening?  Hives, itching, vomiting, passing out and tummy aches almost daily.  Anti-histamines helped.    My GP thinks I am her most "allergic" patient.  Except it was more like a histamine intolerance or a mast cell issue not allergies.   Who knows?  The hives eventually resolved as I healed from my glutening.    I refuse to test the two items that were suspect.    No way!    Three months later, I got dairy back.  Six months later I am eating gluten free anything....without any issues.  I also do not take any meds (except for Armour Thyroid) , supplements, eat out and I avoid even processed gluten-free items.  But, I feel great.     I suppose that I will eventually slip up and get glutened again.  But I am working hard not too.  I like feeling well.   So, really look to your diet.  I bet you just keep getting glutened.  Stick to whole foods, follow the FODMAP diet and wait.  Wait.  Wait.    
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Rene53