Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

What Type Of Doctors, What Tests And How Frequent?

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I am fairly new here, so thanks for all of your help with this. I am wondering how I go about staying on top of Celiac Disease and knowing my progress. Also, what type of doctors should I see for Celiac Disease? As I just recently found out I have this, I really don't know who exactly to see. I've heard it would be good to see a Nutrionist, but what exactly would they do besides help plan out what I eat?

Also, how do I go about knowing my progress? And do I need a more specific test to check to see how damaged my small intestine is?

I just see so many doctors as it, with my chronic pain and all, so this is going to be quite the chore seeing these new doctors. Just be blunt with me and let me know who I should see.

Thanks yet again!

Ads by Google:

I see a gastroenterologist and was diagnosed following a positive celiac panel and then an endoscopy/biopsy but I've never had chronic pain. What kind of doctors are you seeing now?

I never did see a nutritionist or dietitian but I have more than a few years of cooking under my belt and just didn't see the need for me personally.

Who diagnosed the Celiac Disease? Perhaps you should follow-up with that person?

Google "Celiac centers". There are several, like the Univ of Chicago, with easy to understand info. I think you were referred to the " Newbie" thread in one of your other threads. Stop a minute. Take a deep breath. Read. A lot of your questions will be answered in an organized fashion. :)

I think many get checked 6 months to a year after starting a gluten-free diet to ensure their bad lab numbers are going down, as well as to check vitamin levels. I plan to get rechecked after about 6 months to see if my elevated ttg IgA and EMA have gone down, and to check my vitamin levels, which were good when I started my gluten-free diet but I take a LOT of vitamins and if my absorption is increasing I don't want to over dose on some fat soluble vitamins.

I never had the biopsy since I had a positive blood test, so I won't do a follow-up biopsy. Personally, I think biopsies are over-relied on for diagnosing celiac.

I am managing my celiac with a GP. GI docs don't often see celiacs up here unless it's causing extreme GI issues. I didn't see a nutritionist, but I'm the type who likes to read and research things for myself so I felt it was not needed. There are some good books out there. I really like Dr Green's Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic. Celiac for Dummies is good too. Grab a few books from the library and read up. There are some really good gluten-free cookbooks out there too.

For your chronis pain, you might want to look into other AI diseases like Hashimoto's thyroiditis, Lupus, RA, UCTD, MCTD or Sjorgen's. I have some pain issues myself and have found that celiac has not solved them (so far) so I am looking into other areas. It does take a long time to heal from celiacs so there is a chance your pains could improve from the gluten-free diet many months down the road. It took years to get to this point so it will take some time to fix it.

Good luck.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Karen, the iodine test was a test for DH used in the 'olden' days. Iodine would be swabbed onto a spot and then it would be covered with a bandage. If someone had DH the iodined area would break out in lesions. I don't know how but we do know iodine can activate the antibodies. That is why some of us with DH have to avoid iodine in foods until the antibodies have cleared the dermis. OP, if you haven't been tested for celiac you should be and if you have active lesions a biopsy done next to a lesion by a DH knowledgable dermatologist may help in diagnosis.
    • The gluten-free diet (GFD) is the only validated treatment for celiac disease (celiac disease), but despite strict adherence, complete mucosal recovery is rarely ... View the full article
    • What's an " iodine test"?  Haven't heard doctors doing that to diagnose DH.
    • Hello! I've just been given my blood results and told they are highly suggestive of coeliacs but will have to wait till next month to see the gastroenterologist and who knows how much longer for a biopsy. My igA, igG and tissuetrans igA were all over 250 and tissuetrans igG was the only one that was normal. These results don't mean much to me yet but I'm told they are very high. I'm now quite fearful of how much damage I've gone to myself. I've had stomach problems for 25 years (just turned 40) and have often steered clear of too much bread and pasta for how bloated it made me feel but the symptoms were always vague and inconsistent so I kept eating. I had a couple of boats of gastro in the past few months (thanks kids) which I took a lot longer than normal to recover from which looking back may have been related. Then last Friday I had a blowout with wine, cheese, crackers, pizza and chocolate cake. I'm sure I've probably had blowouts like that before but I have never felt so sick before and am still slowly recovering. This is what finally prompted me to go back to my GP after being fobbed off so many times over the years. So I guess my question and my concern is whether there is still  chance of a false positive with levels like this? I worry what else it might be if not coeliac. I'm also worried that I may have done so much damage to myself that I will have several disorders going on! I'm also still recovering from last Friday and wondering when I'm going to feel better. I've stayed off gluten and dairy since my blood result a couple of days ago but feel like I'm allergic to food in general.  Thankyou!!    
    • Here's what the Klondike Bar makers say on the FAQ page of their website (August 2016): Are your products gluten free? Nope. They are not. We have not validated for gluten free. We do not operate allergen-free manufacturing sites, however we do have allergen management programs in all our facilities. The intent of these programs is to avoid unintentional cross-contamination of allergens between products. Our product labels adhere to the FDA’s strict regulations regarding declaration of ingredients and allergens. We do not use the terms “Natural” or “Artificial Flavorings” to hide the existence of any allergens. RECIPES CAN CHANGE. We strongly recommend that allergic consumers refer to ingredient declarations EVERY TIME they purchase processed foods.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Ails123