28 replies to this topic

#1 joolsjewels

joolsjewels

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:59 AM

I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance in 2009 and immediately went Gluten-Free. Looking back, i most likely had this problem all my life, but the damage was already done. At 13 i was extremely depressed. I now realize that gluten affects teens in a particularlly harsh way. However, all the research i have done says that you should recover after going Gluten-Free. I have not. Does anyone else have this problem? Right now i am going through a rough patch and do not know if its another problem or if its something i will have to live with for the rest of my life.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 alex11602

alex11602

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:09 AM

I'm right there with you, still depressed (have been since I was about 10 to the point that I cut myself for 12 years to try and feel better) and after going gluten free 20 months ago I started getting panic attacks that got so bad I can really go out of the house. Started on paxil about 2 months ago but the meds are almost gone and all it seems to have done is make it so I don't snap at people so easily.

Fingers crossed that we figure out the problem soon enough.

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

I also suffered from depression from early childhood and later developed anxiety.
I find I have to be super strict with the diet because even a small amount of gluten will send the depression roaring back full force. Being gluten free didn't have any effect on my anxiety issues though. I hope things improve for you soon.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 AfterAll

AfterAll

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

Sorry you are having such a rough time. My story is a little different because I was diagnosed several months after giving birth... so we were not sure if it was just the Celiacs, or post partum depression. I am still in the early stages, as I was only diagnosed in May. I never went on an anti depressant though... good luck, I hope you find something that works for you soon!

#5 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

Gluten can certainly cause depression, but it isn't the only cause by any means. Some things to look at:

Have your thyroid checked, a full panel, not just tsh
Have them check Vit D, E, A, K B12 and iron/ ferritin. Deficiencies are common amongst celiacs (and those who are gluten sensitive as well) and can cause depression

You may have additional food issues. Casein is similar in structure to gliadin, and can cause problems for people who are gluten sensitive. Trying a gluten free and casein free diet may bring relief

Hormonal causes are also accountable for depression. Are you on birth control pills? Consider having your hormone levels checked as well.

Lastly...sometimes you can't find the cause. And sometimes you know the cause (for instance, gluten) but the damage may have already been done and is not reversible.

For me, celiac definitely caused depression. At 18 mos gluten and now casein free as well, it has gotten better...but it is still there. I still require antidepressants to control it. Maybe I will heal eventually, maybe not.

For you, investigate every possible cause and solution before resigning yourself to a life of depression. Many times relief can be gained from simple measures.

#6 joolsjewels

joolsjewels

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

MitziG, thanks for the advice about the vit deficiencies and horomonal levels. I have not had these checked in a long time. I made an appt with my gp for thurs. I already take prozac, but something else is going on as i adhere to a strict Gluten-Free diet. The depression has been going on so since June and i have rarely left the house. I am exhausted all the time and i just want to stay in bed. I guess i will see what the dr says.

#7 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,793 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:27 AM

MitziG, thanks for the advice about the vit deficiencies and horomonal levels. I have not had these checked in a long time. I made an appt with my gp for thurs. I already take prozac, but something else is going on as i adhere to a strict Gluten-Free diet. The depression has been going on so since June and i have rarely left the house. I am exhausted all the time and i just want to stay in bed. I guess i will see what the dr says.

Glad to hear you have an appointment with your GP. Hope he will be checking for other issues that can cause depressive symptoms. You have gotten good advice from others on what he should be checking. If all that checks out good perhaps your doctor could try a different antidepressant. In my families experience Prozac wasn't helpful at all and actually made things worse. You may want to consult a psychiatrist as they will be more knowledgeable about psychotropic drugs than a GP. Hope you feel better soon.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#8 joolsjewels

joolsjewels

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:52 AM

I tried wellbutrin before and let me tell you i will never do that again. I had every side effect you can name. I am going to ask my GP for a couple names for psychiatrists when i go in.

#9 joolsjewels

joolsjewels

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:26 AM

My dr did change my med to pristiq and take labs. So time will only tell if this works and what outcome there is from the blood work. In the long run, i just need to work up the courage to get some counselling.

#10 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:14 AM

I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance in 2009 and immediately went Gluten-Free. Looking back, i most likely had this problem all my life, but the damage was already done. At 13 i was extremely depressed. I now realize that gluten affects teens in a particularlly harsh way. However, all the research i have done says that you should recover after going Gluten-Free. I have not. Does anyone else have this problem? Right now i am going through a rough patch and do not know if its another problem or if its something i will have to live with for the rest of my life.

do you live in a mixed household? have you checked out your personal care products? If you are in a relationship, is your partner maintaining gluten free in his/her contact with you? pet food? house remodeling? hobbies?

#11 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

HI,

It could be a different food causing your symptoms also. Celiacs tend to develop food intolerances beyond gluten. Have you tried an elimination diet? And eating no processed foods for a while? It might be good to try that as you never know for sure unless you do. It could be a simple food diet change would help.

You can check on medicines side effects by looking them up on http://www.askapatie...ile/default.asp

Meanwhile, have a nice day! :)
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#12 joolsjewels

joolsjewels

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

I found out from my lab work that my iron is low. Dr wants me to take 325 mg/day. My vit D is low. I need to take 1000 IU/day. Finally, my A1C is being run and i need to go back in a week to get my kidney function retested as it is running a bit high.

To the other questions, i am very strict about using Gluten-Free hba products and meds. My husband, not Gluten-Free, does help me keep the kitchen as clean as possible. Any meals eaten together are Gluten-Free. He does use as many Gluten-Free hba products as possible. Our pets are rabbits and do not require baths. Their cages contain pine chips. I have had allergy scratch tests. I am allergic to many things, but not rabbits or their foods. Will start allergy shots for the other things soon. I have eliminated other allergens from my diet and never noticed any difference.

#13 joolsjewels

joolsjewels

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

Oh forgot, someone asked about hobbies. That made me smile. I cross stitch. I think that is gluten free;)

#14 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:45 PM

Oh forgot, someone asked about hobbies. That made me smile. I cross stitch. I think that is gluten free;)

Probably! I did just try looking up fabric sizing, didn't find what it was made of.....

#15 joolsjewels

joolsjewels

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:25 PM

I just got back some more bloodwork. My creatinine which was originally mildly elevated came back normal this time. Yeah no kidney probs. I have had stones in the past, but nothing since 2005. However, my cholesterol is extremely high. Starting cholesterol meds asap. I also have a stress test wed. Then another sleep study later on. Crazy things have been happening lately. Hope to get something figured out soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: