7 replies to this topic

#1 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:17 AM

It would be hard to describe the whole situation. I was diagnosed celiac last May by a genetic test. The same test was so positive that it was known both of my parents have the genes for it. I told them and all my extended family of my diagnosis. I also wrote to Mom's doctor to ask him to consider this diagnosis in my mother's care.

Dad said that Mom was just not up to a diet change then. She had begun some bizarre behaviours such as expecting company when there was none. She eventually got some psychotic drugs to try to help her brain function better. She became physically weak. The other day she couldn't rise from her kitchen chair for the entire day. Eventually, they had to call an ambulance to come get her.

The doctors are not telling what is wrong my Dad says. They aren't trying to explain why she is so weak suddenly? They may release her from the hospital today if she can walk. How does something like that mysteriously change?

What can I do? What can I do?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:50 AM

My mom has had some of those things. She isn't Celiac. Do you live close enough to go to the hospital and be there when the doctor comes around? Sounds like your dad either isn't telling you anything, or he isn't understanding and asking questions.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:11 AM

My mom has had some of those things. She isn't Celiac. Do you live close enough to go to the hospital and be there when the doctor comes around? Sounds like your dad either isn't telling you anything, or he isn't understanding and asking questions.

I live an hour and a half away and we are now short of cars in the family. I have given the doctor my name and phone number when I told his that I have celiac.

Did your Mom ever pull out of it? Mine has been so well and she is only 71. Dad is 81.

II don't think the doctor is allowed to discuss her healthcare with me. Mom and I have vastly different ways of looking at health care.

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:15 AM

I don't think the doctor is allowed to discuss her healthcare with me.

Even if he can not talk, he can listen.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:50 AM

My mom has a lot of issues.

It sounds like your Dad doesn't want you involved. Sorry. there isn't much you can do unless you have evidence he is not caring for her appropriately. Then you could report him for elder abuse.

Do you have any siblings that know what is going on?

Just remember- just because someone has a gene or 2 that are associated with Celiac, it doesn't mean they will have Celiac. The gene has to be "turned on" to make Celiac.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#6 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

It might be worthwhile to check the drugs she is on for side affects. Some drugs can have very strong side affects.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#7 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

My mom has a lot of issues.

It sounds like your Dad doesn't want you involved. Sorry. there isn't much you can do unless you have evidence he is not caring for her appropriately. Then you could report him for elder abuse.

Do you have any siblings that know what is going on?

Just remember- just because someone has a gene or 2 that are associated with Celiac, it doesn't mean they will have Celiac. The gene has to be "turned on" to make Celiac.

My dad is a gem. My siblings are all involved. I just found out that the weakness was probably a side effect of a drug she went on two months back.

I will be sure to leave a note for the doctor if I have further questions.

Thanks,
Diana

#8 joolsjewels

joolsjewels

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

I think it is difficult for others to see what we have had to go through and do not want to admit that they might have a similiar problem. Both my parents and my brother have auto immune disorders which are associated with celiac diease. I too have suggested that they get tested just to be certain. Of course they will not. I really do hope your family get tested, but sometimes all we can do is be supportive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: