2 replies to this topic

#1 zamm0

zamm0

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:08 AM

In order to maximise nutrient absorption from those of us who have damaged our intestines through celiac disease, what sort of time gap should we leave between eating something nutritious and consuming something that might reduce absorption such as tea/coffee and refined sugar. I would *assume* everything gets digested at a different rate so that might further complicate matters. Cheers....

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,116 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:56 AM

I don't know if any of those things will reduce your absorption or not. When you take iron and want to be sure it is available for the parts of your intestines that are working, It is usually no food 2 hours before and 2 hours after. I'm trying to remember. It might have been 3 hours before.

If you are eating gluten-free, you are healing everyday so you wouldn't really worry about this for very long.

I guess if you are going to eat like that, you should check which foods should or should not go to together as they affect the absorption. For example, no calcium with iron if you want to get every little bit of iron possible. I think you need fats to absorb certain nutrients. You would need to find a reputable source and look into that.

Maybe reading about how digestion works in a high school or college Anatomy and Physiology book would help, too,

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 zamm0

zamm0

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:50 AM

As long as 2-3 hours? Another complication as far as I can see is it's been suggested on here that Celiacs need to drink plenty of water but again that drowns digestive enzymes, so what I am doing (rightly or wongly) is to not have water maybe 1 hour either side of a meal, particularly if it's nutritious, less worried if it's relative junk with fewer nutrients.

P.S. Only joined here yesterday, but I've noticeed ALOT of people on here have their avatars as (presumably) their dog. Not that I have an issue with that - I like dogs. Just an observation :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: