This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blood Tests Negative

ChrisMathis

ChrisMathis Newbie

Well got my blood work back from Doctor and the panel was negative. I don't have the exact numbers except for IgA which was 189mg/dl. The others just said negative. Am I right in thinking that it is still possible to have negative results on blood tests but positive biopsy? I haven't scheduled an endoscopy as of yet but I'm due for a check on my Barrett's soon so will ask my GE to biopsy for Celiac's at the same time.

I'm a little ticked off as my husband went to the Dr for his own problem and they started talking about me and the Dr sort of suggested in a roundabout way that my problems could be depression related!! Dr didn't breach any code of ethics etc but still it ticked me off because I didn't get my Barrett's, Hashimoto's, 6 miscarriages, Diverticulosis, or my vitamin D level of 4 just because I'm depressed if anything I'm a little depressed because I'm not getting answers!!

Sorry for the rant.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Yes, you can have negative blood results and positive biopsy.

The advice is to carry on eating gluten until the endoscopy is done.

Doesn't sound like depression was the cause of that lot.

Sorry to hear things have been so tough.

I had recurrent miscarriage, but am now blessed with 2 kids. I wouldn't wish that loss on anyone.

I am waiting for my biopsy results, had it yesterday. Good luck with yours.

And hey, this is a great place to rant x

ChrisMathis Newbie

Yes, you can have negative blood results and positive biopsy.

The advice is to carry on eating gluten until the endoscopy is done.

Doesn't sound like depression was the cause of that lot.

Sorry to hear things have been so tough.

I had recurrent miscarriage, but am now blessed with 2 kids. I wouldn't wish that loss on anyone.

I am waiting for my biopsy results, had it yesterday. Good luck with yours.

And hey, this is a great place to rant x

I'm glad you were finally able to have two successful pregnancies :)

Yes I plan on continuing to eat gluten until the biopsy even though a huge part of me just wants to go gluten free right now!

Did you have any blood work done and if so what were the results if you don't mind me asking? I hope you don't have to wait too long for the biopsy results. I know with my Barrett's it only took about a week.

Celiac Mindwarp Community Regular

Bloods were just one test, and no scale, just negative. Sadly, I hadn't found the forum then and didn't know what to ask for.

I didn't manage to do the whole gluten challenge, made me to ill. I dont expect the biopsy to help really, so I am having to self diagnose based on history and response to gluten free diet. 2 weeks to wait for results here.

It's worth hanging in if you can.

I did suffer from stress, anxiety and depression, especially after the miscarriages, and did get some professional support to help me through. They said it wasn't surprising I was stressed with everything going on.

kittty Contributor

Dr sort of suggested in a roundabout way that my problems could be depression related!!

If we all had a nickle for every time we heard that...

mushroom Proficient

If we all had a nickle for every time we heard that...

They never seem to recognize that there is a damned good reason for most of this depression. Depression is normal if your life is depressing :ph34r:

shadowicewolf Proficient

I, like you, had a positive TTG IGA but with a negative biopsy and a positive genetic test (i have both? lol). That and with the positive reaction to the diet, yes, i do have it (even though my doctor just says "intolerence" >.>).

I had to do the biopsy 4 weeks after i went gluten free O.O

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ChrisMathis Newbie

I, like you, had a positive TTG IGA but with a negative biopsy and a positive genetic test (i have both? lol). That and with the positive reaction to the diet, yes, i do have it (even though my doctor just says "intolerence" >.>).

I had to do the biopsy 4 weeks after i went gluten free O.O

My tTG IgA was negative my IgA level was 189 mg/dl I don't know the difference between those two. I wish they'd give numbers instead of just negative for all the tests and actually have the numbers in corresponding columns! It would make it so much easier to read.

I firmly believe that we know our bodies better than any Doctor and I know for sure that whenever I have a lighter gluten day as in if we eat rice as opposed to bulgur I have less problems with bloating, cramping etc. I will go gluten free regardless of what the biopsy reveals once I have it. I may have the genetic test done just to see if I carry the gene. I seem to remember when I went through some fertility treatments 10 years ago that we had HLA testing done and I'm pretty sure I remember DQ8 but of course I can't find the paperwork and the clinic was bought out and all my files have gone into storage and can't be accessed.

mushroom Proficient

Your IgA level of 189 would be your total serum IgA, a test which is run as a control to make sure that your body produces normal amounts of IgA. The value of 189 would seem to put you squarely in the normal range. :)

ChrisMathis Newbie

Your IgA level of 189 would be your total serum IgA, a test which is run as a control to make sure that your body produces normal amounts of IgA. The value of 189 would seem to put you squarely in the normal range. :)

Thanks you. Normal is good. :)

frieze Community Regular

Well got my blood work back from Doctor and the panel was negative. I don't have the exact numbers except for IgA which was 189mg/dl. The others just said negative. Am I right in thinking that it is still possible to have negative results on blood tests but positive biopsy? I haven't scheduled an endoscopy as of yet but I'm due for a check on my Barrett's soon so will ask my GE to biopsy for Celiac's at the same time.

I'm a little ticked off as my husband went to the Dr for his own problem and they started talking about me and the Dr sort of suggested in a roundabout way that my problems could be depression related!! Dr didn't breach any code of ethics etc but still it ticked me off because I didn't get my Barrett's, Hashimoto's, 6 miscarriages, Diverticulosis, or my vitamin D level of 4 just because I'm depressed if anything I'm a little depressed because I'm not getting answers!!

Sorry for the rant.

Unless you have given your doctor SIGNED consent to share info with your husband, the doctor has committed a HIPAA violation. This is a very big nono. could cost the doc big$ in fines. If you wish to continue with this doc, you need to set firm limits and clear expectations.

Archived