2 replies to this topic

#1 zamm0

zamm0

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:21 AM

When I had my first blood test which confirmed celiac disease the markers that came back positive were 'Endomysial antibody GgA level' and 'Anti tissue transglutaminose level' (phew!)....but if I then get subsequent blood tests done (after having gone gluten-free for a few months) will such markers or any others indicate less prominence or be negative AS A RESULT of any healing that may have taken place? I'm assuming a positive is above a certain threshold?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Takala

Takala

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

The numbers should drop. But it varies from person to person, depends on the lab where it was sent (different ones use different scales), the individual physiology, how strict with the diet, have they rooted out surprise cross contamination sources, etc.
Some years ago my current PCP ran a panel on me, (called it a "blood panel") and the nurse calls me up and is all bright and cheery that I tested negative for this, that, and ... celiac. Well, I hope so, I had been eating gluten-free about 5 years at that point and I didn't think I was going to throw a positive test at that point, because I don't anyway, but thanks for trying! :rolleyes: :blink: Let's look at my brain scan and stick with that, okay ? B) I wasn't at "zero," on a scale of whatever, but I was close. Oh, look, "micro" antibodies! :lol:

#3 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

Both of your positive tests should have reduced numbers on subsequent tests. Depending on how high the positive numbers were originally it may take some time for them to be in negative range, but is likely they will be in the negative range at three months and even lower at six months. I wouldn't suggest testing before three months gluten-free. My doc recommended follow up testing at three and six months gluten-free - followed by annual testing.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: