2 replies to this topic

#1 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

So far, the doctor has run my B12 levels, folic acid, and TSH...all normal, the TSH was slightly below normal. Today, he ordered: CCP Antibody, ANA, Cortisol, and T3. Interesting combo. Anyone else had all these random tests done? They're trying to figure out what is causing my extreme fatigue...it all just blows my mind to be quite honest! Oh and more anti-"D" meds, cuz this colitis is killing me!
lymphocytic colitis 8/1/12
diagnosed w/celiacs 8/14/12
gluten-free 8/14/12
dairy free, grain free, corn free 10/9/12

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 beachbirdie

beachbirdie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

So far, the doctor has run my B12 levels, folic acid, and TSH...all normal, the TSH was slightly below normal. Today, he ordered: CCP Antibody, ANA, Cortisol, and T3. Interesting combo. Anyone else had all these random tests done? They're trying to figure out what is causing my extreme fatigue...it all just blows my mind to be quite honest! Oh and more anti-"D" meds, cuz this colitis is killing me!

Interesting! What kind of doc do you go to? It isn't common for a doc to run something like cortisol without a fight, LOL!

To answer your question, the tests sound like the doc is on a hunt for what is causing your symptoms. The CCP antibody is a test specific to rheumatoid arthritis, and the ANA is a test of general autoimmunity. Cortisol is for adrenal function; is the test a single draw, or are they doing the test where they draw at different times of the day? The second one is more revealing though morning cortisol is often done as a stand-alone. Your tests all kind of point in one direction actually.

Except T3, it's another thyroid test since your TSH was out of normal. Was it lower than range? Sometimes people will say TSH is "low" when they mean their TSH reveals low thyroid function. If the number was lower than the range, then the T3 test will tell the doc if you are hyperthyroid.

Low TSH can be caused by both hyperthyroid AND low adrenal function. Hyperthyroid can cause extreme fatigue, so it sounds like your doc is on a very logical path.
1999 - Hypothyroid
2003 - Hashimoto's Disease
2008 - Diverticulitis
2009 - Significant Vit D Deficiency
2011 - Diverticulitis again
2011 - HLA-DQ2.2
2012 - TtG IgG positive... I am now, finally, Gluten Free - 5/16/2012

#3 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

Interesting! What kind of doc do you go to? It isn't common for a doc to run something like cortisol without a fight, LOL!

To answer your question, the tests sound like the doc is on a hunt for what is causing your symptoms. The CCP antibody is a test specific to rheumatoid arthritis, and the ANA is a test of general autoimmunity. Cortisol is for adrenal function; is the test a single draw, or are they doing the test where they draw at different times of the day? The second one is more revealing though morning cortisol is often done as a stand-alone. Your tests all kind of point in one direction actually.

Except T3, it's another thyroid test since your TSH was out of normal. Was it lower than range? Sometimes people will say TSH is "low" when they mean their TSH reveals low thyroid function. If the number was lower than the range, then the T3 test will tell the doc if you are hyperthyroid.

Low TSH can be caused by both hyperthyroid AND low adrenal function. Hyperthyroid can cause extreme fatigue, so it sounds like your doc is on a very logical path.

I am going to my gastroenterologist that did my colonoscopy hes definitely trying to figure out what is wrong with me! He did the Cortisol AM and only that. If I heard correctly, my TSH was below normal, but Im not sure what the exact # came in at. I was just intrigued when I started looking up all these tests, and knew someone here could tell me it was all logical and related somehow! Thanks for helping me make sense of it all! ;)
lymphocytic colitis 8/1/12
diagnosed w/celiacs 8/14/12
gluten-free 8/14/12
dairy free, grain free, corn free 10/9/12

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: