8 replies to this topic

#1 KnightRobby

KnightRobby

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

I just did some searching around about this and saw a reply on Wiki Answers about this at: http://wiki.answers....eam_gluten_free The only reason I ask is because of the reply on Wiki Answers, but I am sure they were using a different kind of Heavy Whipping Cream...

Anyway, I have a Great Value brand in front of me and it has no milk and I have checked the ingredients with the ingredients to avoid on celiac.com Everything seems to be fine. Here are the ingredients: Ultra-pasterized Heavy Cream, Carrageenan, Mono and Diglycerides, polysorbate 80.

I have used this in the past to make Fettuccine Alfredo - which is one of the foods I eat a lot. I'm thinking it should be fine...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

It is gluten free. The person referenced in the wiki answer sounds like she might be dairy intolerant.

No need to avoid dairy unless you are finding you are having trouble with it - some folks need to avoid dairy when first gluten-free because it is hard to digest when the villi of the small intestine are damaged.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,030 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

Milk, cream and butter are naturally gluten-free. If something is added to them, it is possible that gluten could be present. The only case I can imagine would be chocolate flavored milk, which could possibly contain barley malt.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#4 kareng

kareng

Dispeller of Shady

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,004 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:41 PM

I just did some searching around about this and saw a reply on Wiki Answers about this at: http://wiki.answers....eam_gluten_free The only reason I ask is because of the reply on Wiki Answers, but I am sure they were using a different kind of Heavy Whipping Cream...

Anyway, I have a Great Value brand in front of me and it has no milk and I have checked the ingredients with the ingredients to avoid on celiac.com Everything seems to be fine. Here are the ingredients: Ultra-pasterized Heavy Cream, Carrageenan, Mono and Diglycerides, polysorbate 80.

I have used this in the past to make Fettuccine Alfredo - which is one of the foods I eat a lot. I'm thinking it should be fine...

If you have decided to avoid milk...you do realize that Cream is milk?

"You have problems.  There are not enough paper clips, and then you've got world hunger.  Your problems are somewhere in between." -DPR,III

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

purring-kitty-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

If you have decided to avoid milk...you do realize that Cream is milk?

Or, at the very least, contains lots of lactose. Churning it into butter would remove most of the lactose (although not all)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:41 PM

Just read your post regarding giving up milk. This would mean you need to give up cream as well. You can make sauces with rice milk, almond milk or coconut milk.

-Lisa

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

#7 KnightRobby

KnightRobby

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

Yeah, I am finding I am having a ton of trouble with milk products. So right now I am definitely dairy intolerant. I honestly had no idea. I just found out a bunch of products have milk in them and this is why I am feeling so terrible. I am glad that I am finding out so much in such a short time-frame from being diagnoses with Celiac.

BTW, I did some research on milk alternatives and did find out about rice milk, etc. I am thinking about trying rice milk at this time, since I have read some reviews claiming to taste similar to regular cow's milk. Of course I'll have to supplement the Vitamns, etc from cow's milk with other foods.

#8 GottaSki

GottaSki

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,084 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

Rice milk doesn't really taste like cow's milk, but to pour over milk and cook with it is a great substitution. You might want to grab one rice and one almond at the store. I have one son that prefers almond and one that prefers rice - no telling which you'll prefer.

-Lisa

10/25/13 - MCAD

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,546 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

or try So Delicious Coconut milk. Tastes great, has lots of calcium and works well in just about every recipe that calls for milk.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: