This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cupcake Wrapper Problems

Mizzo

Mizzo Enthusiast

Hello,

Most every muffin/cupcake recipe I have tried since going gluten-free 2 yrs ago has resulted with the muffin/cupcake sticking to the liner . The item will come out in muffin shape but always leaves behind a thin layer of muffin behind. I have used King Arthur ,and Pamela's, and Elana's pantry recipes with basically the same results every time.

Just wondering if this is common or should i be spraying the liner ??? anyone ?

I use the basic pastel colored liners (never the foil as I found these to change the cooking results) regular size not mini 's

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

Are you using artificial sweeteners in your muffins or cupcakes? I made some muffins from Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix and used Splenda for the sweetener and they stuck to the paper liners much worse than when I use sugar. I've never tried spraying the liners with non-stick spray.

I've fallen in love with USA Pans and ordered the muffin/cupcake pan, which should be here today. Since they are so non-stick, I'm considering making muffins without using liners.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi-- I have had the same problem. I don't use artificial sweeteners, although that's a good point.

I recently made cupcakes (pictured in my av) using Betty Crocker Yellow Cake mix, and they came out of the liners beautifully.

Another thing I have noticed with other things such as corn muffins, etc. is to make sure the baked goods are completely cool before peeling off the liner.

SA, let us know how your new pan works out! Sounds great:)

kareng Grand Master

I have those pans/sheets! I got them at Bed. Bath & Beyond. Love them!. They wash off nice because nothing really sticks to them. I don't think I have made muffins in them. I make the little hash brown and egg things in them & they come out great.

jerseyangel Proficient

I have those pans/sheets! I got them at Bed. Bath & Beyond. Love them!. They wash off nice because nothing really sticks to them. I don't think I have made muffins in them. I make the little hash brown and egg things in them & they come out great.

Kismet! I got a coupon for BB&B in the mail just yesterday. May have to go take a look this weekend :D

birdie22 Enthusiast

I have read that oftentimes gluten free recipes are more wet/moist and don't work as well with paper liners. I used foil liners and have better success.

Mizzo Enthusiast

I have read that oftentimes gluten free recipes are more wet/moist and don't work as well with paper liners. I used foil liners and have better success.

I stopped the foil liners because they were burning on bottom even when I lowered temp and cooked longer. sigh I think my green thumb is just better than my bakers mitt.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I think my green thumb is just better than my bakers mitt.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

mushroom Proficient

I read somewhere that you should spray the inside of the cupcake liners to prevent sticking. :)

sa1937 Community Regular

Karen, when you make the hash brown/egg thingies, do you use a paper liner? And if not, do you spray or grease the pan first?

I got mine today, as well as another 8-1/2 x 4-1/2" loaf pan for bread. I know for bread I do not spray or grease the pans and the bread falls right out without sticking.

kareng Grand Master

No paper thingys. I did spray them but not sure if they need it. Just habit to spray stuff! :lol:

sa1937 Community Regular

No paper thingys. I did spray them but not sure if they need it. Just habit to spray stuff! :lol:

Maybe I'll have to do a test run by baking a single cupcake-size quiche. I hate the non-stick spray as it always leaves a sticky residue.

ciamarie Rookie

My muffins made with rice flour and/or combined with tapioca flour have come out of the muffin liners just fine. But, once I did try to add some sticky rice (glutinous) flour to the mix, maybe 25%, and they really stuck to the muffin liner.

So I would suspect it has something to do with one of the ingredients? I haven't used any of those mixes, so I'm not sure.

sa1937 Community Regular

SA, let us know how your new pan works out! Sounds great:)

The USA muffin pan is fantastic! I made Pamela's banana-nut bread recipe into muffins (with sugar), did not use liners or grease, oil or spray the pan. The muffins came out with no problem, no sticking. I am impressed. I just wiped the pan out when finished and didn't even have to wash it.

Now I wish all my pans were by USA. They are the most non-stick pans I own. Open Original Shared Link

Ginsou Explorer

I make King Arthur gluten-free Muffins quite often, and the directions on the package say to line the muffin pan with greased paper muffin cups, but the King Arthur chocolate cake mix says to use (ungreased) cupcake papers in a muffin pan when making cupcakes.

I've never greased paper cupcake liners in my life, and am not about to start. Both my King Arthur and Betty Crocker cupcakes always come out perfect without greasing. I use canola oil in all my recipes because I'm allergic to soy so maybe that is the reason they come out OK. I use Reynolds and Wilton baking cups--tried the foil ones and simply did not like them.

I'll have to look into the USA tins for future use...was at BB&B a few days ago and saw this product but did not have a coupon at the time.....they looked similar to King Arthur's pans.

sa1937 Community Regular

I'll have to look into the USA tins for future use...was at BB&B a few days ago and saw this product but did not have a coupon at the time.....they looked similar to King Arthur's pans.

The King Arthur pans are USA pans (at least the ones that are ridged). I bought a 9x4x4" loaf pan from KAF and the logo on the pan says USA Pan. The others I bought from Amazon as the prices were better. After checking availability, my closest BB&B didn't come up.

I should add that while Amazon does carry the USA loaf pan with a lid, I didn't feel like I need it and it was definitely more expensive.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I notice when I bake with coconut oil/flour I have almost no stick. With drier recipes (something that forms a crust) I will have stick. I think it's the fat ratio...

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

I notice when I bake with coconut oil/flour I have almost no stick. With drier recipes (something that forms a crust) I will have stick. I think it's the fat ratio...

I've noticed the same.

shadowicewolf Proficient

Ditto to this :)

Archived