Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Is This What Getting "glutened" Feels Like?

• Please log in to reply

11 replies to this topic

#1 amahones

amahones

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:19 AM

I have only stopped consuming gluten a little over a month ago. Is it too soon to tell when you've accidentally consumed gluten?

I have been very diligent about my own foods, medications, beauty products, etc.

I do eat generic rice chex - and I've read that some people have problems with Rice Chex in general. This weekend, I bought the real Rice Chex because it was on sale. Immediately after eating it, I was sick: cramping, stomach issues, but also I felt almost drugged, like I couldn't keep my eyes open. I also had a return of some symptoms that had improved: I had a restless sleep, I woke up itching off and on all night (eczema), I had vivid dreams... and when I woke up, I just felt very foggy.

I also had this experience after eating out. It was at Red Robin who told me they had a dedicated fryer for their french fries, and that burgers were prepared in a separate area than buns, etc. All I ate was a burger with pepper jack cheese, no bun ... and french fries. I barely made it home before I was sick (GI again), and had the same symptoms as mentioned before.

I've had other stomach-aches since going gluten-free, but nothing with all these other symptoms. Is there anything else that could cause those weird symptoms?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

Generally speaking, you shouldn't eat processed foods for another few months if you have just started.

I, personally, would not eat genaric chex, as they are probably not made in a dedicated factory like Chex is (which could be the issue here, delayed reaction).

Seems to me either you are A. still getting gluten in somewhere (such as a CC'd toaster) or B. you have yet to fully heal.

#3 amahones

amahones

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

Generally speaking, you shouldn't eat processed foods for another few months if you have just started.

I, personally, would not eat genaric chex, as they are probably not made in a dedicated factory like Chex is (which could be the issue here, delayed reaction).

Seems to me either you are A. still getting gluten in somewhere (such as a CC'd toaster) or B. you have yet to fully heal.

I do tend to avoid processed foods in general, even before going gluten free.. Rice chex (generic or brand) have been the one exception. I'll cut them out for now, and I'm going to avoid restaurants completely for a while. I don't even use a toaster! (But I do use the same pots that regular pasta has been boiled in. I'm not sure if that could be an issue if the pots go in the dishwasher first?)

#4 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:34 AM

What about the strainer? Did you get a new one? GLuten likes to hide in them whether or not its been cleaned.

#5 amahones

amahones

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

What about the strainer? Did you get a new one? GLuten likes to hide in them whether or not its been cleaned.

I don't actually use the strainer either. For example - my boyfriend will cook pasta in a pot. It will then go into a dishwasher and then I'll use it to make my own chili or something. It's not one of those non-stick pots either, that gets scratched easily. It's stainless steel. I haven't been using any of the ones that scratch because I'm nervous about CC.

#6 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

I don't actually use the strainer either. For example - my boyfriend will cook pasta in a pot. It will then go into a dishwasher and then I'll use it to make my own chili or something. It's not one of those non-stick pots either, that gets scratched easily. It's stainless steel. I haven't been using any of the ones that scratch because I'm nervous about CC.

what about utincles? Are they wooden, stainless steel, plastic, etc?

#7 amahones

amahones

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

what about utincles? Are they wooden, stainless steel, plastic, etc?

Hmm...mostly plastic, except for silverware.

#8 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:29 AM

I wouldn't use a pot, or anything that had cooked gluten, without first scouring it with SoftScrub or baking soda. Plates and stuff are probably fine, but cooked on gluten...not so much.

Also, when was the last time the dishwasher was cleaned? There could be all kinds of nasties in the filter.

Plastic is easily scratched - I'd avoid it.

Cutting board?
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#9 amahones

amahones

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:35 AM

I wouldn't use a pot, or anything that had cooked gluten, without first scouring it with SoftScrub or baking soda. Plates and stuff are probably fine, but cooked on gluten...not so much.

Also, when was the last time the dishwasher was cleaned? There could be all kinds of nasties in the filter.

Plastic is easily scratched - I'd avoid it.

Cutting board?

I'll avoid plastic from now on. We do have a cutting board but I don't use it anymore (and to be honest, I don't think anything except vegetables were ever cut on there). I doubt the dishwasher has ever been cleaned :(

#10 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

I doubt the dishwasher has ever been cleaned :(

Awesome! A fun weekend project for the two of you! :P :D
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#11 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:16 AM

You guys are scaring me rofl. I'm currently in one of my university's apartments, so do i have to clean the dishwasher too?

I never did with the one in my gluten filled home, but i think the bleach we used to put in it killed it maybe. I didn't get sick with it either O.O

#12 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

I haven't used the dishwasher in quite some time. I noticed that my CC pretty much stopped at the same time I stopped using the dishwasher and started also using entirely my own dishes. I can't say for sure which the issue was. Recently the dishwasher broke and my MIL asked if I'd use it if she bought a new one. She pretty much was at the point of begging and pleading with me to use it. (She rather thinks of herself as little miss Martha Stewart and at the time I was sick as a dog and hadn't touched my dishes in like 4 days.) Finally I had to say in no uncertain terms that until I am in my own house and have a dishwasher that I can be in charge of on my own to keep gluten free I won't go near one. I don't trust the things. All those rubber gaskets and such. And have you ever looked in the bottom of one? It's nasty. Nope, won't go near them.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: