23 replies to this topic

#16 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

Does anyone have a recipe that uses all purpose flour?? That's all I have in my house and don't intend on getting into the city before this weekend (thanksgiving)

There are several on this thread that use "all-purpose" flour mixes. Pamelas and Better batter are all-purpose type things. Sometimes the companies web site will have a recipe, too.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

Does anyone have a recipe that uses all purpose flour?? That's all I have in my house and don't intend on getting into the city before this weekend (thanksgiving)

What brand of all-purpose gluten-free flour do you have on hand? Many manufacturers have websites with recipes that are developed using their brand of flour. Some brands already include xanthan gum in their flour mix and some don't.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#18 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

I use the one from Elana's Pantry. I also like it because I don't have to roll it out - I'm hopeless at it! - and can just press it into the pie crust. I do sub coconut oil for grapeseed oil in her recipes.

#19 prairiemamma

prairiemamma

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

The all purpose I have is bobs red mill, but yesterday I went out and bought brown rice, sorghum, potato and tapioca starch (for a recipe I seen higher up in the thread)

#20 AnnieInItaly

AnnieInItaly

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 03:35 AM

does anyone know if the egg in many of gluten-free pie crust recipes is necessary? I baked normal pies professionally until a few years ago, and now that I've gone gluten-free I've been trying to figure out the best way to do pie. In a normal pie crust, I've never used an egg, but maybe it is different with gluten-free flours?

#21 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:44 PM

With the gluten free pie crust recipes, if it calls for an egg, you had best use the egg or the egg sub, (such as a flax gel or a chia seed gel) because the gluten free flours behave differently when they are used in a pie crust recipe. Even if you have found or made a gluten free flour mixture that works for other recipes for baked goods, when it is used for pie crust you may get strange results, either too crumbly, or too hard and chewy.

Last year I gave up and just started putting a top crust on the pie fruit, a sort of combination of calorie cutting and not wanting to have yet another pie crust bottom that was not cooperating. :)

#22 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:23 PM

With the gluten free pie crust recipes, if it calls for an egg, you had best use the egg or the egg sub, (such as a flax gel or a chia seed gel) because the gluten free flours behave differently when they are used in a pie crust recipe. Even if you have found or made a gluten free flour mixture that works for other recipes for baked goods, when it is used for pie crust you may get strange results, either too crumbly, or too hard and chewy.

Last year I gave up and just started putting a top crust on the pie fruit, a sort of combination of calorie cutting and not wanting to have yet another pie crust bottom that was not cooperating. :)

Problem solving in the 21st century!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#23 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

Problem solving in the 21st century!

I do stuff like that too. Comes from not paying enough attention to stuff like math and chemistry in the 20th.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#24 Mizzo

Mizzo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:07 PM

After trying many, this is the one I use all the time. If you let the dough come to almost room temp after being in the fridge, it rolls out like a dream.

Copied from the Better Batter flour website:

This is a nearly foolproof pie crust — tender, flaky, with a crispness to the edges and a taste that can’t be beat. This recipe make a two-crust pie. Feel free to make it in bulk and freeze it, as well.

2 1/2 cups Better Batter Flour
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp Baking powder
4 Tbsp butter
5 Tbsp shortening (we like butter flavored)
1 egg yolk
2 tsp cider vinegar
3 ice cubes
1/2 cup cold water

Instructions
Make sure all of your ingredients are very cold (put in the fridge for about 30 minutes).

Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.

Cut the butter and shortening into the flour mixture – the appearance of the mixture should be coarse – pea sized chunks should be present.

In a measuring cup beat together the egg yolk, vinegar, ice cubes, and water. A little at a time pour some of this mixture over your pastry mix . You may use all of the mixture.

Toss with a fork until the pastry just holds together, but is not dry. Knead together lightly a few times — it should look and feel like a normal pie crust.

Roll this immediately out between two layers of plastic wrap -this makes for a perfect crust and easy cleanup. When the pastry is large enough, remove the top layer of plastic and, using the bottom layer to hold the pastry, flip it into the pie plate. Peel off the plastic and crimp the edges. Bake as directed.

What is the Better Batter flour mix made up of ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: