Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

How Long Should I Be Eating Gluten Before Endoscopy ?

• Please log in to reply

9 replies to this topic

#1 MoMof2Boyz

MoMof2Boyz

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:37 AM

Hi eveyone, I am having an endoscopy done to check for Barrett's esophagus and I thought I'd go ahead and ask for a celiac biopsy at the same time...get it all done in one shot!

I have been eating gluten for lunch and dinners and snacks for the past few months (I don't remember exactly maybe 2-3 months) but still eat some gluten free foods..mainly at breakfast

should I go ahead and have the biopsy done or have I not been eating enough gluten for very long. my appt. is Oct. 25

for the record I've had a negative blood test but I have Hashimoto's(autoimmune disorder)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 user853

user853

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:32 AM

I think you will be fine. I was gluten-free for almost 5 months, then went back on gluten (only 1 serving a day) for 2 months before my endoscopy, which showed mild celiac.

#3 bbuster

bbuster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

I think you will be fine. I was gluten-free for almost 5 months, then went back on gluten (only 1 serving a day) for 2 months before my endoscopy, which showed mild celiac.

Agree. This was long ago, but I think our endo Dr. said the equivalent of a slice of bread a day for 4-5 weeks was enough. This was for my son and he was confirmed positive by both bloodwork and endoscopy.
Bev

Mom of Garrett - Mizzou freshman; diagnosed Jan 2005

#4 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

You will be ready. Most Celiac Centers recommend 6 weeks for challenge. The University of Chicago recommends 12 weeks. Sounds like you'll be at 12 weeks by the time of your endo on the 25th.

Also, you don't need to ingest gluten at every meal. One slice of gluten containing bread per day is plenty.

Good Luck! Make sure your GI takes at least 6 samples for celiac biopsy - not all gastroenterologist are familiar with correct celiac biopsy procedure - sad, but true.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5 MoMof2Boyz

MoMof2Boyz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

thanks everyone!

#6 MoMof2Boyz

MoMof2Boyz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:41 AM

You will be ready. Most Celiac Centers recommend 6 weeks for challenge. The University of Chicago recommends 12 weeks. Sounds like you'll be at 12 weeks by the time of your endo on the 25th.

Also, you don't need to ingest gluten at every meal. One slice of gluten containing bread per day is plenty.

Good Luck! Make sure your GI takes at least 6 samples for celiac biopsy - not all gastroenterologist are familiar with correct celiac biopsy procedure - sad, but true.

How can I get the GI to take 6 samples?? I called today and requested 6 samples and the nurse told me no, they only take 2,...and when doing the EGD, the GI will be able to see the damage.

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:44 AM

How can I get the GI to take 6 samples?? I called today and requested 6 samples and the nurse told me no, they only take 2,...and when doing the EGD, the GI will be able to see the damage.

Not true--they can't always see the damage. They need to view the samples (the more, the better--8-10 is ideal) under a microscope to see changes/damage to the villi even if they see something during the endo.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#8 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:03 AM

"Mushroom" provided this link to a paper regarding biopsies specifically for Celiac Disease. It is the clearest explanation I've seen to date:

http://www.charlotte...r_diagnosis.pdf

Take a look and show it to your doctor. Unfortunately many GIs are not familiar with the best protocols for diagnosing Celaic Disease. Celiac damage to the small intestine can be spotty and early damage is not visible during the procedure - it can only be detected with biopsy. It is possible your doctor will see damage, but it is also possible they will not.

The best you can do is have a discussion with the doctor even if it is the day of the procedure. The nurse knows what the doctor "normally" does. This does not mean the doctor will refuse if you request more samples to give the best chance for diagnosis.

Good Luck :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#9 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:04 AM

The damage has to be quite severe for the doctor to be able to see it with the naked eye; most damage is only picked up by the microscope. That is why it is hit and miss whether he scopes the right place(s) since it can be quite patchy -- the damage is not uniform..
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#10 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

I think you need to have a meeting with the GI before the day of the procedure. Take him some info from reputable sources, like Celiac medical centers

http://www.curecelia...guide/diagnosis

http://www.celiacdis.../C04-Biopsy.htm

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: