6 replies to this topic

#1 tracijo

tracijo

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

Excedrine Migraine has been my go-to medicine for really bad headaches. It's the only thing that will really knock them out, and I know it's gluten free. However, thanks to this fabulous recall of Excedrine products, I can't find it anywhere. I was in pretty desperate need of it this morning so I went to the drug store. I checked glutenfreedrugs.com, but I didn't see any other migraine relievers on the list. Does anyone know for sure if there is another brand of migraine relief that's gluten-free? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

Some of the store brand mixes of Actemenophin, aspirin and caffiene are gluten free. I have a bottle of the Target brand and it says gluten-free on it.

When I was skiing and needed some - I took an aspirin, a Tylenol and drank caffiene.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#3 bartfull

bartfull

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:26 AM

BC Asperin Powder doesn't specify that it is for migraine but because you put it in water and drink it, it works FAST, and when I took it for my agonizing jaw pain it knocked it out better than Extra Strength Advil or any other pain reliever I have ever used. If you can't find it in your area you can probably get it online. (I know that won't help you today, but maybe for the future?)

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#4 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

If you can't even find a gluten free generic alternative I'd also recommend the idea of chasing Tylenol and aspirin with a coffee or some sort of caffeine. It's pretty much the same thing and you can probably be sure to at least get the acetaminophen and aspirin in the same dosages you are used to.

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#5 tracijo

tracijo

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

Wow, thanks for the quick responses!

@kareng-brilliant. I may have to stop by Target, then. I was looking on the boxes to see if any of them said it, but I had my shades on (they were NOT coming off) and was a bit cross-eyed, so I couldn't read well.

@bartfull-I almost picked some up. I didn't see it on the gluten-free list, though, and I've previously been able to link severe headaches with gluten, so I didn't want to take a chance. It seemed to make sense when I was standing there that powdered medicine would be more likely to have gluten in it.

@Adalaide-good plan. I don't typically keep acetaminophen in the house because it doesn't usually work for me, but I may just start keeping it around.

Thanks, everyone!

#6 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

You might want to check out this article about Excedrine. They're pretty sneaky.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#7 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

You might want to check out this article about Excedrine. They're pretty sneaky.

I had noticed that it was the same thing with different names. I just get the generic Target brand (with the arrow on it).

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: