This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is It Hard To Be Gf And Vegetarian?

frenchiemama

frenchiemama Collaborator

I've been thinking about vegetarianism for a long time. When I was diagnosed with celiac disease I just put that on the back burner because I was having enough trouble with my new diet.

I know that eating at home won't be a problem, but how do you handle eating out and travel?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

I do fine with it. I stopped eating all animals just over a year ago but before then I didn't eat them too much. I don't like eating out at all unless it is at P.F. Changs or afew places that are Gluten-free in NYC. They all offer vegetarian and gluten-free dishes and that's how I do it. I always bring fruit with me when I am doing day trips and on campus. It really isn't hard at all because there are so many yummie gluten-free veggie things. A lot of vegan products you can find to be gluten-free, too!

• 2 weeks later...
Lauren M Explorer

I've been vegetarian since I was 4 years old and wasn't diagnosed with Celiac until I was 21, so eating meat was out of the question at that point - vegetarianism was already a pretty firm part of my lifestyle! I do just fine and supplement with a lot of protein bars, and other protein sources. That's the main thing you have to be conscious of - getting protein. I also take an iron supplement. Let me know if you have any other questions!

- Lauren

tarnalberry Community Regular

Depends on what your other food issues are. I've thought about going vegetarian, but I can't have dairy at all and don't deal well with soy every day. Add to that the fact that I get hypoglycemic tendencies and need about 30% of my calories to be from protein (I think if I ate nothing but lentils and high-protein beans, I'd get enough protein), and that becomes very difficult to do on a GFCFSF diet. So I'm not. But many people don't have as many restrictions that keep them from going vegetarian while also avoiding gluten.

VydorScope Proficient

In reality the answer is yes. ANY food restriction is tough.... till you get used to it. For example, when I started the aktins diet few years ago (was about 40 or so pounds over wieght), it was TOUGH to give up bread , candy and etc... but now, years later, and proper wieght... I mostly stick to that style of eating via subconcious habbit.

Switching to gluten-free for my son (and prbly me evntually..), was the same way. At first its hard cause you have to learn all new products, how to read lables, etc. But after a while you get your routine down, and you get a list of thigns that are staples of your diet.. and you just do it.

While I do not agree with veggie only as being a healthy choice (assuming no allegies or intolerences are involoved), I know some ppl can not tolerate the idea of dead animals on thier plate, and fully respect that.

MOre and more though I am moving towards a more "orangic" diet! Ugh, doing aktins and now gluten-free has realy opened my eyes to the CRAP in our food. When I buy peanutbutter, I expect the ONLY ingredient to be PEANUTS. Why in the world is their a full paragraph of ingredients on Jiff, Skippy, and the rest of them?? No thanks! I'll stick to my Kroger (store brand) natural peanut butter wiht only , get this, PEANUTS in it. Same is true for so many other products. Why does GRAPE JUICE need a list of ingredients? huh?? WHAT ABOUT JUST USING GRAPES??? grrr...

Umm err... I'll go back in my courner now, sorry.... :unsure:

While I do not agree with veggie only as being a healthy choice (assuming no allegies or intolerences are involoved), I know some ppl can not tolerate the idea of dead animals on thier plate, and fully respect that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is the main area that is making this decision hard. On the one hand, my doctor does not think that I should become a veggie. No matter what I eat, my protein levels are always low (she checks my bloodwork every couple of months) and she's always telling me to try and eat more eggs and meat. My sister is the same way, only she's a vegan and has recently be strongly warned that she needs to start eating at least eggs or she is going to have problems. I know that eating some meat is healthier for me, which is why I do it.

On the other hand, I love animals. I spend a lot of my time and money on animal causes, and I foster dogs (in addition to having three of my own). It bothers me that some animals lives are valued more than others. Especially animals that are smart, like pigs. How can I justify eating some animals while I'm trying to save the lives of others? I also live in dairy country and I know how even non-meat animals are treated. Battery chickens and dairy cows aren't treated like living things, they are treated like property.

I guess I'm just rambling about my moral dilemma, but I'm really conflicted about this. :(

elisabet Contributor

Depends on what your other food issues are. I've thought about going vegetarian, but I can't have dairy at all and don't deal well with soy every day. Add to that the fact that I get hypoglycemic tendencies and need about 30% of my calories to be from protein (I think if I ate nothing but lentils and high-protein beans, I'd get enough protein), and that becomes very difficult to do on a GFCFSF diet. So I'm not. But many people don't have as many restrictions that keep them from going vegetarian while also avoiding gluten.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/quote

Tiffany,

How often do you eat animal protein?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I try to eat eggs or dairy every day, I try to eat meat every other day (although sometimes it's more like every 3rd day).

Merika Contributor

Frenchie,

I have been veggie for 13 years, and gluten-free for almost 2. I am in the process of trying to NOT be vegetarian. I totally completely DO NOT recommend being veggie and gluten-free. (I don't even know if I'd recommend being veggie to anyone, but that's another story.) You will NOT be able to eat out. You are voluntarily restricting your foods even further than gluten-free, and if you are at all like me, you have other food allergies as well. For mental and physical reasons, I say stay as you are eating.

I do think Americans eat too much meat, so the amount you are eating sounds reasonable. As far as pigs being smart, etc, I think many societies have a good way of dealing with it, which we seem to have lost here in the US, whereby as you slaughter or eat an animal, you give thanks to it. I am hardly religious, but I do like acknowledging that another creature has given its life to you, and is worthy and healthy of doing so. I also believe in using ALL of the animal's parts (not me personally, just that it is wrong to kill something and not use 100% of it).

Merika

VydorScope Proficient
This is the main area that is making this decision hard. On the one hand, my doctor does not think that I should become a veggie. No matter what I eat, my protein levels are always low (she checks my bloodwork every couple of months) and she's always telling me to try and eat more eggs and meat. My sister is the same way, only she's a vegan and has recently be strongly warned that she needs to start eating at least eggs or she is going to have problems. I know that eating some meat is healthier for me, which is why I do it.

On the other hand, I love animals. I spend a lot of my time and money on animal causes, and I foster dogs (in addition to having three of my own). It bothers me that some animals lives are valued more than others. Especially animals that are smart, like pigs. How can I justify eating some animals while I'm trying to save the lives of others? I also live in dairy country and I know how even non-meat animals are treated. Battery chickens and dairy cows aren't treated like living things, they are treated like property.

I guess I'm just rambling about my moral dilemma, but I'm really conflicted about this.  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My dog, Little Joe, I got as a rescue from a dog rescue group here. He was found in a cage... with no food or water, behind a house that some ppl who were renting... jsut LEFT one night. Did not pay thier rent, or anything. Left him to starve to death in cage!!! He is such a loving happy friendly dog, I dunno how anyone could do that!

And his story gets worse... he spend NINE MONTHS in pounds/foster homes, bouced around as they had room... why? Cause no one wnated him! The reason no one wanted to adpot him??? get this... CAUSE HE IS NOT A PURE BREED!! Like any of the ppl looking to adopt are! grrrrrrr

I have had 2 rescued pet birds, one pet bird I got form a breeder, and one rescued dog. I proba bly will never buy a pet again, they will all be rescues...

err you getting me starteed agian , umm I better go find my courner again.... :unsure:

Tiffany,

How often do you eat animal protein?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In practice, I usually have meat every day - in with my dinner. Sometimes that will translate into leftovers for lunch, depending on if there are leftovers. But meat usually doesn't make the main portion of my meal - it's the shrimp in a stir-fry full of vegetables, or the ground turkey in a chili full of beans and tomatoes, the beef in a stew full of other vegetables, or the chicken in the soup full of rice and vegetables. I don't eat eggs that often, just because I don't think of it.

Besides not eating huge quantities of meat, I also choose to go with fish fairly often (usually frozen shrimp or fresh salmon), and get organic, free-range chicken and other organic meats.

If I could eat dairy, I probably would eat less meat, but my husband is fairly far from a vegetarian, and that affects how I cook to a degree. But I seem to need more protein than a standard diet, based on how my body responds, or I might eat less meat.

bluelotus Contributor

I also would find it hard to be a vegetarian, and it all depends on your pre-existing food conditions. I can't tolerate dairy, egg, or corn, so there goes some quality protein sources. Although, for me, vegetarianism would be for environmental purposes (general idea: animal are inefficent at converting plant protein into consumable protein for us, so we have to grow more food for animals, when we could use that land to grow food for ourselves.......or for other purposes. in the long run, it is not sustainable), I have to forfeit my conscience and consume beef, pork, chicken, and fish. At least as a healthier person (eating meat rather than denying myself), I will be here longer to benefit my conscience (and others) in various, satisfying ways.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

I like your quote by Hunter S. Thompson. He was from my hometown. I took a class from a professor who was a friend of his. Talk about an unbelievable class!

Judging from the shopping expedition my husband and I undertook tonight for gluten-free products, it appears that you won't have any trouble at all being vegetarian and gluten-free. We were happily surprised with the variety of products available at our neighborhood Kroger, of all places. We're not vegetarian, but the majority of gluten-free products we found were vegetarian as well. In addition, we found a good deal of gluten-free protein additives which were vegetarian. (Neither one of us are very fond of meat, so a lot of our meals are meatless -- lots of Tofu!) Good luck with your quest!

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Sorry, but I forgot something -- I found a really good book -- it's called GLUTEN-FREE DIET A Comprehensive Resource Guide. It has an appendix which lists vitamins, minerals, fiber and protein content of quite a few foods. It's written by Shelley M. Case, a registered dietician, and it's ISBN # is 1-894022-79-3

• 2 weeks later...
dperk Rookie

I was a vegetarian for 28 years (I did eat seafood occasionaly) when all of this hit me like a ton of bricks. I've been gluten-free now for 7 months. I've had to take all of the good foods out of my diet - dairy, eggs, corn, rice, soy, tomatoe, avacado, and lots more, along with gluten. I guess the damage caused lots of allergic reactions to foods. I had to start eating meat again just to survive. I don't like it. I wish I could go back to my nice, simple veggie diet. As soon as my stomach has healed, and my body decides that other protein sources are the good guys, I'm going back to my veggie life. Look thru vegetarian cookbooks for ideas. For right now, I'm doing good with just eating veggies, fruit, nuts and meat. But I have hopes for the future being meat free.

skbird Contributor

I can appreciate the desire to be vegetarian, I have a hard time eating meat at times, for psychological reasons. But the 3 years I was vegetarian were the sickest three years of my life. I also had really bad cholesterol. It was a weird time. Since learning I am hypoglycemic I have tried to focus more on protein. And as VydorScope pointed out, after going low carb I noticed how much crap was in my food. People who fail with low carb diets often eat all the junk diet food out there. If you take the principles of low carb to heart, you end up eating healthier food, not a pound of bacon for breakfast.

I am not low carb, though it helps me when I am having bad hypoglycemia problems (like now, for example). I don't do well with soy so most of my protein would be from nuts and dairy, if I went vegetarian now. I think it's possible but if you have lab results indicating low protein, Frenchiemama, then you should probably channel your energy you'd use for being vegetarian into eating only meats from animals raised with respect, organic and free range, and continue putting yourself into causes.

My husband was raised on ranches and he went through slaughtering animals and then eating them as a way of life. He would always feel bad about it but said there are differences in the way mainstream slaughterhouses work and small, free range ranches. I guess what I start wondering about is the line - I mean, who says that soybeans don't have feelings, either? I don't mean to be flip here, seriously, when does the rule for cruelty to a living thing stop applying?

Respect is the key. I think you can be gluten free and have a healthy veggie diet, but if it's not the best thing for your health, then working towards eating sustainable foods and animals treated with respect is a good goal.

Also, look into kosher meats and - I can't remember what they are called - but similar rules apply to animals slaughtered for Muslims.

For me the philosophy also applies to anything that I see as detrimental but must partake in to some extent anyway, like using gas (even if I didn't have a car, the bus uses petroleum, or the foods I buy at the market required fuel to be shipped there) etc.

I could go on and on, so like VydorScope, I'm off to my corner...

Stephanie

aaascr Apprentice

Going vegetarian can work with gluten-free diet.

In addition to having celiac disease - I have extensive

food allergies which includes most proteins

(dairy eggs soy beans nuts chicken fish shellfish

- to name a few).

I have found shelled hemp seed added to

my salads along with rice and/or hemp seed

protein drinks to help with protein intake.

Once in a while I can eat quinoa too.

I also use a b complex

(sublingual) to get the necessay b12 etc.

It took a while to figure it all out - but it

can be done. When hanging out with my

friends I just bring my own food, they

know the deal.

Just my 2 cents.

Merika Contributor

dperk,

How have you been able to consume a lot of meat after being veggie for so long? I eat tiny bites and feel sick and get constipated from the whole thing. Literally, ONE BITE changes my whole digestion. Is there a secret I'm missing?

Merika

13 yrs veggie

Smunkeemom Enthusiast

I was just thinking about that the other day. I was vegan before I got pregnant with my first kid, so I was kinda already used to reading labels on everything I ate before I found out that my youngest daughter has celiac disease. My husband is wanting to go on the specific carbohydrate diet and my head was still spinning about how restrictive that one is. :( I couldn't imagine trying to follow two restrictive diets at once.

I still remember some stuff from my vegan life (where I was almost gluten-free anyway without even knowing what gluten-free was) if you have any questions or just want to vent you can email me.

smunkeemom@yahoo.com

(if any of you are wondering about the specific carbohydrate diet, it is gluten, soy, dairy, sugar, corn, and oat free, also some types of fruits and veggies are off limit as is yougart that isn't home made and things like ketchup)

dperk,

How have you been able to consume a lot of meat after being veggie for so long? I eat tiny bites and feel sick and get constipated from the whole thing. Literally, ONE BITE changes my whole digestion. Is there a secret I'm missing?

Merika

13 yrs veggie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What I learned was that, after a number of months or years not eating meat, your body stops producing the enzymes needed to break down the proteins. It will start producing them again if you start eating meat, but slowly. So if you continue eating a bite every day for a few days, and very gradually increase, your body *should* respond and begin producing the needed enzymes. That's the theory, anyway.

Smunkeemom Enthusiast
What I learned was that, after a number of months or years not eating meat, your body stops producing the enzymes needed to break down the proteins.  It will start producing them again if you start eating meat, but slowly.  So if you continue eating a bite every day for a few days, and very gradually increase, your body *should* respond and begin producing the needed enzymes.  That's the theory, anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was vegan for 6 years before I got pregnant with my first kid and started having unbelievable cravings for chili dogs (I was in tears about it believe me) anyway my dr said that the enzyme thing is true but gave me some meds to make the shift back to eating meat easier but I was still sick as a dog for a few weeks although I don't know how much of that was the meat and how much was normal morning sickness.

quantumsugar Apprentice
What I learned was that, after a number of months or years not eating meat, your body stops producing the enzymes needed to break down the proteins.  It will start producing them again if you start eating meat, but slowly.  So if you continue eating a bite every day for a few days, and very gradually increase, your body *should* respond and begin producing the needed enzymes.  That's the theory, anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's what I did... I was veggie for about five years before finding out about celiac disease. I had been thinking of trying meat for health reasons anyway, and when I found out I needed to cut out wheat (in addition to dairy), I decided my body needed me to start eating meat again. I made myself something that was free-range, pre-prepared chicken (so it wouldn't be as hard mentally). I started out the first day eating the world's tiniest amount of meat. The second day was about that much, and I just kept trying. I had some stomach difficulties, but... I always had stomach difficulties then, so I don't know how much was meat-related.

I think I am a lot healthier eating meat (although, again, it came at the same time as the gluten-free diet). It's also a lot easier to get protein, sufficient calories, etc... and really, I spend enough time thinking about food already. And if you're going to be strict, it's almost as hard as avoiding gluten. And I can't imagine eating out.

Frenchiemama--you might try getting free-range, what I call "happy meat" to help ease your concience. The meat industry's practices are awful, so not being a part of that might help. If not, PM me, and I've got loads of tips and recipes for being veggie.

dperk Rookie

I started off slowly eating meat, and taking digestive enzymes. The only problem I had was a full feeling that lasted for hours after eating meat. That lasted for a month or more. Now I don't have any problem digesting meat - but I do have a problem with using meat it as my food source. I would rather not eat meat - but I just can't get enough protein otherwise. The only thing I have left is tree nuts. All other proteins create an allergic reaction and stomach distress. I lost a lot of weight - and getting comments from my family on how thin I was. So what choice do I have?

aaascr: - were do you get the hemp seed for the protein shakes?

• 3 weeks later...
SillyYakMom Rookie

I am not vegetarian, but many times I feel like I am. I think it would be relatively easy. I actually eat meat rarely. I eat more fruits and vegetables anyway. I have tons of veggie dishes that I love and get them off of vegetarian websites.

• 3 weeks later...
johnny Rookie

just make sure you know what blood type you are and metabolic type your body runs on.

i ate primarily vegan (95%, sometimes i ate fish and cheese, about once a week) for 15+ years until i got sick with what the doc thinks is celiac disease (complicated with food allergies).

as soon as i went on the elimination diet i started eating meat every day. didn't want to, but i would do anything to feel better.

after a month of eating meat, i have been able to put back on a few of the 20 pounds of weight that i lost from being sick.

just be sure that you are not intolerant to soy!!!!

and of course be sure that you can eat other legumes, or you will not have the right amount of proteins that your body needs.

if you have a type O blood, chances are you should not eat vegetarian. traced back to northern european blood, apparently vegetarianism and type o may not jive. that may be the case with me, since i have been on meat my skin color has been coming back, and i can see that my muscles are returning (lost all muscle with weight loss, didn't have much fat whatsoever to lose before i got ill).

hope that helps

johnny

I've been thinking about vegetarianism for a long time. When I was diagnosed with celiac disease I just put that on the back burner because I was having enough trouble with my new diet.

I know that eating at home won't be a problem, but how do you handle eating out and travel?

Archived